View Full Version : C++ tools

27th May 2004, 12:55 AM
So I got involved in this crazy project that will require me to program in C. I have used Glade and Ajunta and can create an interface on FC1. I'm now using FC2 and have some downloading to do etc.. but

This proiject is a blog updater for my blog. (Don't groan, I know you have one too). I have this little button that says "Post" on it and when you click on it it's supposed to update or post the entry text to the journal. I have the Bloggar API (Eeeegads!) and am aware that there are new ones just entering the programing sphere and haven't picked one yet. I will get around to that, but first! - the questions.

Am I using the right tools? Are there better tools for programing in C for FC2?

Can anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to incorporate an API while using these tools? I can program "Hello World" all I want, but damn, that's all the tutorials cover. I'm looking for something more advanced.

I'm not even sure how to call the API to get it to do what I want it to do.Any directions, advice or help would be appreciated.

27th May 2004, 02:00 AM
KDevelop is nice... it will manage more than just C/C++ KDE apps. You can do all sorts of apps, including wxWindows, PHP, Perl etc...

27th May 2004, 02:21 AM
...and PHP...eh?

"Say no more.... say no mo'"

(Runs off to play with KDevelop)

28th May 2004, 10:35 PM
strixy, I've been playing a bit with the Blogger API today.. I'd heartily recommend Python for simplifying the whole XML-RPC thing (which I am just beginning to understand :).

Make sure you get an API key from the Blogger developer site and you're pretty much set to go.

Python has a standard library called xmlrpclib that'll handle the dirty specifics of XML-RPC calls for you. Here's a couple of examples..

server = xmlrpclib.Server("http://plant.blogger.com/api/RPC2")
.. will create a connection to Blogger's XML-RPC server

appkey = *whatever your API key is*
username = "wolveso"
password = "password"
blogList = server.blogger.getUsersBlogs(appkey, username, password)
.. will retrieve some information about all your blogs

I'm trying to do something similar to you myself, mainly just to get to know things better. I guess I'll have to learn GUI things a bit later :)