PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice



Shadow Skill
6th November 2004, 01:31 AM
I've got some money to burn and I am eagerly awaiting amd's pci-E 64 bit boards and I was wondering if it is safe to run fc3t2 32bit version(soon to be fc3 final mind you.) on a 64 bit system?

Can I safely upgrade [from 32bit]without a total fresh install [I know it would be best to do it clean but I'm lazy and would like to know if it is possible without my stuff being totally nuked.]

IceNine
6th November 2004, 01:49 AM
Even if its possible, it is a horrible idea. You would have to make sure that every package you have installed also becomes 64-bit. Plus the kernel change, drivers would change... You're asking for more trouble. I highly recommend going for a fresh install even if simply upgrading is possible.

Shadow Skill
6th November 2004, 02:54 AM
*grumbles I guess I'll wait to do fc3 and just go ahead and blow a boat load of money in about a month as I upgrade everything. Perhaps I can squeeze in some Sata hdd's definetly need some more memory too.