PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Desktop folder gone

NingunOtro
2nd April 2011, 05:28 PM
I was dragging and dropping content from a folder onto the user desktop folder when suddenly instead of the packed Desktop Folder I got the Home folder with the few normal files that were in it AND one file called Desktop.

(actually, the file name was "Escritorio" and it was a PDF file, and in $HOME/.config/ the file user-dirs.dirs was changed to say XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/" instead of XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Escritorio")

I've searched around but only found how to recreate a folder calles "Desktop" (or "Escritorio") and have it act like such, but not how to eventually recover the original "Desktop" folder AND ALL ITS CONTENTS (quite a lot!)

Is there any way to get the content back?

Fedora is 64bit Fedora 14
Gnome is 2.32
Nautilus is 2.32.2.1

davidlondonuk
6th April 2011, 06:10 AM
Unless you deleted the ~/Desktop folder it must still be there somewhere, maybe try 'locate Desktop' and see if you moved it to another directory by accident

NingunOtro
6th April 2011, 09:44 AM
Unfortunately, I did far worse... I managed to have one pdf file in the user root directory be renamed to the name "Desktop" (truely, its Spanish equivalent "Escritorio". Thus, I lost track of the whole directory structure as I can not find its starting inode anymore (not with my poor skills).

I've quit trying to recover a directory that was far, far from empty :(

SiliconSlick
6th April 2011, 01:05 PM
A quick test here (under Gnome) using the GUI indicates that you should've been warned/prompted that you were about to overwrite the whole folder.

In any case, you might look at this:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/howto/undelete_ext3.html

Certainly non-trivial but with luck you just _might_ be able to get back some of the stuff you tossed/lost/overwrote.

SS

NingunOtro
6th April 2011, 01:52 PM
Too late for recovery forensics now. Thanks for the tip anyway, it would have been useful.

While the Desktop directory was far from empty, its content was more literature awaiting an occasion to be read than stuff my life might depend on I could not afford to lose, so I just recreated a correctly functioning Desktop folder and forgot the incident.

It came in handy to have gathered the knowledge to help someone else though ;) .