PDA

View Full Version : Vmware problems

cuchumino
4th November 2004, 02:28 PM
Hey all.

Im having trouble with vmware. I just installed 2.6.9 cko kernel, but i can't configure vmware to run on my machine. Any help will be apprecieated

i get this when i write "./vm-config.pl"

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux-2.6.9/include

The kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have the same
address space size as your running kernel.

cuchumino
4th November 2004, 07:45 PM
im thinking that i have to install the precompiled patched kernel on to my computer for VMware to be correctly installed.

cuchumino
10th November 2004, 12:45 AM
here's (http://www.8dimensional.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=38904#38904) the solution to my problem. I think it works for all patches.

so plz enjoy, and again thanx for all your time and patience. ;)

nuopus
11th November 2004, 07:23 AM
The problem is with udev. It generates devices at boot. When you install VMware it will create /dev/vmmon and /dev/vmnet0 - vmnet9 and these are the devices that it uses for network bridging. There are two things you can do to fix it ...

1. Install VMware and copy all of the vm* devices to /etc/udev/devices. (cp -a /dev/vm* /etc/udev/devices)

2. Edit your /etc/init.d/vmware file and look for the lines:
case "$1" in
start)

Right below that add:
for a in `seq 0 9`; do
mknod /dev/vmnet$a c 119 $a > /dev/null 2>&1
done
mknod /dev/vmmon c 10 165 > /dev/null 2>&1

That will create the proper devices every time /etc/init.d/vmware is executed so that it runs properly. Depends on which way works for you. After you change one of those you should remove the /etc/vmware/not_configured file or just reconfigure and reboot you machine to test it.