PDA

View Full Version : Linux Newbie

bogi4u
15th March 2011, 05:43 AM
Hi everyone,:D

I'm new to Linux. I have a Fedora Linux 13 operating system at home. I'm facing problems with it though. Every time I open the Mozilla Firefox page, and search for a specific website (eg. www.hotmail.com, etc), the internet opens its homepage smoothly, but a few seconds later, the whole Mozilla Firefox window closes instantly. When I open Mozilla Firefox again, the message says "Well this is embarrassing." Below it is the list of tabs that were previously opened a few seconds ago. Then I have the option to either "Start a new session" or "Restore" the previously closed tabs. And the process continues. :C I figured this problem is some sort of system crash. I'm hoping that by joining this forum, you might help me learn how to fix this. Thanks.

bogi4u

GallComp
15th March 2011, 06:00 AM
Hi everyone,:D

I'm new to Linux. I have a Fedora Linux 13 operating system at home. I'm facing problems with it though. Every time I open the Mozilla Firefox page, and search for a specific website (eg. www.hotmail.com, etc), the internet opens its homepage smoothly, but a few seconds later, the whole Mozilla Firefox window closes instantly. When I open Mozilla Firefox again, the message says "Well this is embarrassing." Below it is the list of tabs that were previously opened a few seconds ago. Then I have the option to either "Start a new session" or "Restore" the previously closed tabs. And the process continues. :C I figured this problem is some sort of system crash. I'm hoping that by joining this forum, you might help me learn how to fix this. Thanks.

bogi4u

http://www.fedoraforum.org/?view=guide

READ THE FORUM GUIDELINES before posting again... Do NOT duplicate the same post in different parts of the forums, this is an official warning....

bogi4u
15th March 2011, 06:02 AM
Ooops! So sorry about that. Won't happen again. :)

kurtdriver
15th March 2011, 06:14 AM
You're a real person! I thought you were a bot. Welcome to the forum.

You really should report this bug, when it crashes, do you get a message in ABRT? That's the bug reporting software. It might put a icon on your top panel (orange I think), and if so double click and choose "Report". If you don't have the icon, it's in the menu, it might say "Bug Reporter", or something similar.

Have you got the latest version of firefox? Maybe there's been a bugfix in the last couple of days.

bogi4u
15th March 2011, 06:28 AM
Hi again.

I've just typed the following into the command prompt to try and fix my pc problem:
firefox --safe mode

The mozilla page opens, then I open Hotmail to check my email, and after a few seconds later, the mozilla firefox page instantly closes. I check the command prompt again (remained open after typing the above) and it says the following:
[Tarai@localhost ~]$ firefox --safemode
/usr/lib/firefox-3.5.4/run-mozilla.sh line 131: 2057 Segmentation fault
(core dumped) "$prog" ${1+ "$@a"}
[Tarai@localhost ~]$

After reopening Mozilla Firefox webpage, the following message appeared in the window:

"Well, this is embarrassing.
Firefox is having trouble recovering your windows and tabs. This is usually caused by a recently opened web page. You can can try:
- Removing one or more tabs that you think maybe causing the problem
- Start an entirely new browsing session."

Below this is a list of the previously opened tabs and below this are two option buttons:
"Start a new session" or "Restore"

----------End of message----------

Please help?

bogi4u
16th March 2011, 05:01 AM
@kurtdriver-

Hi,

Yes I have a bug reporting software and it provides warnings that an error occurred. It also reported that this one particular error occurred about 84 times; and then there are 8 different types of errors that I need to fix. The problem is that when I try to report the bug and log into the RedHat website, using my new username and password, it wouldn't get through. Is this because I'm a) created my new Redhat profile account from a different pc (I'm currently using), which uses a Windows system, and b) I'm required to create that Redhat account from the Linux system(another different pc) itself? But I can't create a new Redhat account from the Linux system because it crashes only after a few seconds.

---------- Post added at 04:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 AM ----------

By the way, the mozilla firefox version I'm using is Mozilla Firefox 3.5.4

kurtdriver
16th March 2011, 05:03 AM
Not a red Hat profile account, what you need is an account at http://bugzilla.redhat.com
After setting up that account, run ABRT and choose to report it to bugzilla, then it will ask you to put in your username, email I think, and password for bugzilla. This is the only time you'll have to input this info on that computer. Good Luck!

marko
22nd March 2011, 03:38 AM
@kurtdriver-

[/COLOR]By the way, the mozilla firefox version I'm using is Mozilla Firefox 3.5.4

My first idea would be to have you update that ancient Firefox version to the current one which is 3.6.15 and also make sure you update the flash-plugin.
Actually I just looked in the Fedora 13 repos and you can use yum to update to Firefox 3.6.15-1
(for example firefox-3.6.15-1.fc13.i686.rpm in http://mirror.pnl.gov/fedora/linux/updates/13/i386/ )

Another thing that might help as a test is to use the ProfileManager to make a new profile, then run on that for a while. If the crashing stops that probably point to
your old Firefox profile being corrupted:

firefox -ProfileManager

this will start firefox but first it will popup the ProfileManager, click "create a new profile" and put the profile in a different directory, like ~/local/firefox/profile
this profile will be completely independent of usual profile that's under ~/.mozilla/firefox

vidya
5th June 2011, 07:38 AM
Hey guys where do i post new thread.... I dont seem to find it ... thanks in advance

marko
5th June 2011, 07:56 PM
Hey guys where do i post new thread.... I dont seem to find it ... thanks in advance

You can post a new thread at any time by opening the sub board you want to post in (for example "Hardware"), then click the "New Thread" button in the upper left.