PDA

View Full Version : KDE and GNOME comparison

chadr6
2nd November 2004, 11:48 PM
I am trying to decide which desktop environment to use. could you post which you like best and why?

jayemef
3rd November 2004, 12:08 AM
Check this thread... http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60.

No DE/WM can prove to be the "best." It's all personal preference. I'd suggest trying both and see for yourself which you like.

imdeemvp
3rd November 2004, 12:34 AM
I love gnome and here is my screen shot http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=10

woland
3rd November 2004, 02:11 AM
kde seems more sluggish on older machines than gnome, fluxbox is quite lightweight

Psquared
3rd November 2004, 02:58 AM
I started with Gnome because it was the default. Once I learned how to configure it with themes and backgrounds I moved on to KDE. I also tried some Window Managers with partial Desktop Environments like IceWM, Window Maker, Enlightenment, Fluxbox and Afterstep. I'll probably go back to them and try again, but I found the learning curve too high - especially integrating KDE and Gnome apps.

I tried Xfce too, but the version that comes with FC2 was nice looking, but there was no menu. I downloaded the Xfce 4.2 beta and I love it. It is a more complete Desktop Environment and more on a par with Gnome and KDE. The release version will come out in the middle of the month and I will make it my default.

It is a question of taste. I was looking for something faster and lighter than Gnome and KDE, but with all the stuff I like. Xfce looks like it might be the best of the three in those categories.

KDE has been around longer and is probably more advanced. If you are thinking about it download version 3.3.1. Gnome is up to version 2.8, but I have not tried it. I'm still on Version 2.6. FC2 can be upgraded to 2.8, but the process looks complex so I'm not going to try it.

Gnome is favored by FC as it is the default out of the box. I just think its dull. KDE is more interesting, but I also get the feeling it is more bloated and it seems slower. It is highly configurable and customizable - perhaps more so than Gnome.

jzke
3rd November 2004, 07:31 AM
I use XFCE, beta 4.2 - It's really great. Fast, Clean, and it now has a menu to access all your GNOME programs. Not only is it the quickest, but I also find it is the nicest looking too. I suggest you try it when it is released on the 21st. =)

jcstille
3rd November 2004, 03:59 PM
I am between Gnome and KDE, really depends on what you are looking for. I do all my development in icewm, I am standard in Gnome, and when I need to do some WebDevelopment I go to KDE, the fish protocoll is so nice.

sailor
4th November 2004, 04:35 AM
I have both Gnome and KDE installed...I tend to use KDE more.
Both desktops are good , but KDE has more flash...:)

Chas.H
4th November 2004, 09:09 PM
I started out with Knoppix and therefore KDE. After a month I was ready for something installed on my hard drive with win XP wiped off for good.(and i do mean good)
Gnome was the default, so I got used to it and had is set up to my liking before I discovered how to get into KDE. :rolleyes:

I now use it 90% of the time.

Jman
5th November 2004, 03:20 AM
I use Gnome. It works and I like the look. I still have KDE installed mostly to run apps.

Psquared
5th November 2004, 03:28 AM
I use XFCE, beta 4.2 - It's really great. Fast, Clean, and it now has a menu to access all your GNOME programs. Not only is it the quickest, but I also find it is the nicest looking too. I suggest you try it when it is released on the 21st. =)

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :D

I really am thrilled with Xfce 4.2 beta. It seems rock solid for a beta. Installing it was a cinch.

Prometheus
7th November 2004, 11:40 PM
I use em both. Depends how bored i am. I initially set up everything in Gnome, then set up everything in KDE. It doesn't really mattter to me at this point, as i dont have any real themes installed. I like KDE's equivalent of the start menu better than gnomes, but thats just me. I use them both. Want to try fluxbox. but just havent gotten around to it yet.

Finalzone
8th November 2004, 02:24 AM
I use both. It is really fun to customize both desktop managers in different themes that mimick OS X or Windows XP. When I did a demonstration to a group of friend by setting Windows XP theme using KDE, they were totally fooled. Like some people said, it is a matter of preference. The only limit is our imagination.

Sniffer
9th November 2004, 11:37 PM
Gnome Here...

The only thing i like in KDE is Kdeveloper...besides that i hate Konqueror, Kmail, Kopete and all that stuff that comes with it.

KDE is just to M$....Way..tough have it's advantages