PDA

View Full Version : compile options

megaprogman
2nd November 2004, 04:19 PM
Where do you set compile options for make in fedora?

/etc/make.conf ?

Google is no help today :(

jayemef
2nd November 2004, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure if I know what you are asking, but individual programs will have their own makefile, called either makefile or Makefile. When run, they basically compile the programs their meant to compile in the way the programmer(s) meant for it to be. The unix make proram is designed to manage large multifile projects by keeping track of any changes that are made in the source files. It allows you to modify and recompile on source file without having to recompile the entire program.

megaprogman
2nd November 2004, 07:00 PM
Well in gentoo or bsd for example, there is a global make file you can set for global options. I was wondering if there was something similiar in fedora?

ilja
2nd November 2004, 07:02 PM
Well in gentoo or bsd for example, there is a global make file you can set for global options. I was wondering if there was something similiar in fedora?
Afaik you only set the global options for the portage system there and not for the whole enviroment. So because Fedora is not based on the portage you cannot set the global enviroments, but need to set them indivially in the commandline for gcc or in the makefile.