PDA

View Full Version : up2date is rubbish...it broke my install

amuldoon
2nd November 2004, 10:31 AM
Hi,
I have just started using Fedora Core 2, initial install was very good.
However, there was far to much messing about to get my Netgear WIFI card working, after all Linux boast itself as a prime network OS, these things should work out of the box.
Anyhooo, once I'd finally got it all running the way I wanted I got fed up with the red exclamation telling me to update. Even when I instructed it not to appear in the task bar it still came back, so I gave in and ran the update.

Wish I hadn't, now X won't start...and I've gotta rebuild as I don't know how to repair it and can't be bothered with the messing about.

I suppose there will be quite a few people who would love to get away from Winblows, download a Linux distro, have similar issues and give up, going back to what essentially works out of the box for most people.

Now the question is, do I bother....?????

:(

bob
2nd November 2004, 11:31 AM
If you haven't already reinstalled FC2, perhaps we can help correct your problem if you can give us more details about what caused the failure. For instance, if it involved a kernel upgrade and you have an Nvidia card, you'd have to run sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-(version#)-pkg1.run before X will restart.

More to the point though is that Up2date is not the only way to upgrade FC and it is not the most recommended one anymore. Have a look at this link http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25423&highlight=update+kde
which describes two other good options. Most prefer Yum, which is built into FC. If you will take a minute or two to update your yum.conf as the link shows, then go to http://rpm.livna.org/ and install it's key, you will then simply be able to sign in as 'su' and then type 'yum update'. Not only will you have a more interactive update, but many more repositories at your fingertips to install new programs.

Apt, with it's gui Synaptic, is also a worthwhile download. I use both to keep my distro current and have not had any problems to date.

tashirosgt
2nd November 2004, 02:43 PM
I have seen anywhere that Linux boasts itself as a prime network OS for out-of-the-box installation. That boast would have to come from companies trying to sell a product, a particular set of software based on the Linux kernel. And as far as out-of-the-box installation goes, Fedora is certainly the wrong choice. You don't want a bleeding edge distribution if you expect most things to "just work". If you are willing to do manual configuration, listen to Bob.