PDA

View Full Version : Black windows when taking screenshots in LXDE

hstrgll
18th February 2011, 01:11 AM
I had a similar problem before in Gentoo -- but like most things in Gentoo, it had something to do with my USE flags :D

Basically, whenever I use imagemagick to take a screenshot, some of the programs appear just as black windows. I was trying to get a screenshot of the system-config-firewall app, so initially I thought it had something to do with taking a screenshot of something with root privileges. But I can also reproduce the problem with LostIRC.

I've been running the following command:

sleep 5s; import -window root firewall.png

stevewalsh
2nd August 2012, 01:42 PM
I know this thread is a bit old, but it's still an issue in Fedora 17 LXDE when taking screenshots.
I followed the instructions from this page : http://wiki.lxde.org/en/How_to_make_screenshots

When using imagemagick and a shell script I also get black boxes where apps should be.

So I tried scrot (the other suggestion from the link above) and this worked - I used the command : scrot -d 5 (a 5 second delay to get the app focused etc... )

I hope this helps someone in future...

If anyone does figure out the imagemagick & shell script thing, then let us know...

Ta,
Steve

smr54
2nd August 2012, 04:55 PM
DISCLAIMER--POSSIBLE FUD,

I find that, on a box with an NVidia card using nouveau that with openbox, I get that issue. (The possible FUD is that I don't know if this is a nouveau driver issue, or something else mildly wrong with the box or the install--but I haven't gotten the problem on any other machines.)

Using scrot solves it. I also find that if I use the very low resource dwm window manager, as opposed to openbox, I don't have the problem. So, even though LXDE is relatively low on resources, I wonder if the problem might have something to do with openbox (which is the window manager used by LXDE). I've only used openbox and dwm on the only machine that gives me the problem, so don't have any other evidence.

Ok, just tried it with fluxbox and again no black windows in several attempts. So, maybe it is an openbox or openbox dependency, issue, but I reiterate, those are just guesses on my part based on VERY limited experience.