PDA

View Full Version : Converting mbox stuff from Evolution into dbx for Outlook Express woes.

neilius
31st October 2004, 03:45 PM
Hey guys, I'll cut to the chase! I'm trying to import a bunch of emails from Evolution into Outlook Express so far with no joy. I have Googled high and low and have only managed to find information on doing this the other way round! Does anyone know of a way to do this? A utility that'll convert those mbox files into MS's dbx format or something?

Thanks in advance,

Neil. :)

Dog-One
1st November 2004, 04:51 AM
The way I handle my email is to use IMAP (dovecot will work for this). If the email resides on the Linux machine, you can start a dovecot IMAP server. Then jump over to your Windows machine and create a new account in Outlook Express using IMAP. Point OE to your Linux machine using a DNS name or IP address as required for your network. The Inbox for this new IMAP account should see your mail on the Linux server. If you want all this mail to be local on your Windows machine, just select all the messages and copy them over to your local Inbox. Presto Changeo you're done.

HTH

neilius
1st November 2004, 03:01 PM
Thankyou very much, I did a yum install dovecot, started it from the services panel and it seems to be working, I am now copying across my mail!! :)

Kind regards,

Neil.

Dog-One
2nd November 2004, 03:52 AM
Good show ol' chap!

Have a spot of tea, on me. ;)