PDA

View Full Version : instaling windows?

earobinson111
30th October 2004, 05:40 PM
ok i have feodra and i want to install windows also on my computer for my bro to use.

i have to hard drives if that helps

and ideas about how i would go about this?

thanks

bob
30th October 2004, 08:26 PM
Yes there's ways, although I haven't done them myself. However, I see from your other posts that you have just reinstalled FC, so why not do it the right way and install Windows first, then FC2? It's much easier that way.

Another suggestion, since you have two HD's. Why not install Windows on one and FC2 on the other, set both as master and simply plug the IDE cable into the right one when you lend out your machine. That way his stuff remains his and your FC2 remains un-tampered with.

If these suggestions don't fit, we'll try to come up with some links to doing it the way you requested.

bob
30th October 2004, 08:38 PM
BTW - here's a link for doing it the way you had requested: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=106335

imdeemvp
30th October 2004, 08:39 PM
You have 2 hard drives and that helps. Which hard is primary windows or fedora? If fedora is primary you can install windows in your 2nd hard drive but you have to indicate during the windows partitioning that you want to use your slave drive.

This way windows will not touch the grub but before you install windows make sure your bios is setup correctly to boot from slave drive (hda1). After your done installing you reset your bios to boot from primary.

In fedora you will need to edit your grub and add this lines to access windoz:
title Windows
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

earobinson111
30th October 2004, 08:45 PM
thanks i may try this im going to do more reading and i dont have to do it for a while since my bro wont be back for a bit

imdeemvp
30th October 2004, 08:48 PM
Another way I have done is by disconnecting my linux drive (the cables only) and this way windoz will never touch my linux partitions. In regards to last night's thread how did you recover fedora?