PDA

View Full Version : ATI driver RPMs at Livna.org

micha
30th October 2004, 05:25 PM
This how-to is dedicated to the installation and configuration of the ATI driver using Livna RPM packages.

Before installing the Livna RPMs, you need to remove any previous ATI driver. Something like :

yum remove ati-fglrx* kernel-module-fglrx*
rpm -e fglrx
rm -rf /lib/modules/fglrx

First, you have to setup yum for Livna.org unstable repository. So modify you /etc/yum.conf file.

Fedora Core 2

[livna-unstable]
name=Livna Unstable
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/unstable
gpgcheck=1
Fedora Core 3

[livna-unstable]
name=Livna Unstable
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
gpgcheck=1

You can import the GPG key for Livna repositories:

rpm --import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

Then, install the ATI driver:

yum install ati-fglrx kernel-module-fglrx-$(uname -r)

That's it !! Restart Xorg...

The ATI driver has its own internal AGP management for Intel chipsets. If you don't have an Intel chipset, change the "UseInternalAGPGART" option to "no" in the device section of the /etc/X11/xorg.con file :

Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"Note that if you have a nForce chispet, you need the nVidia driver installed and loaded (I guess, it's no my case).

If you have a problem with the RPM packages, please report bugs at:
http://bugzilla.livna.org
http://bugzilla.livna.org/show_bug.cgi?id=296

If you have problem configure the ATI driver, have look at:
http://rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88

Enjoy :)

PeTzZz
30th October 2004, 05:49 PM
Thank you for that link! I will try to get some help on that forum if I will get into trouble configuring the video card, but I will wait a bit installing those drivers, because I don't have any need to rush.

Shadow Skill
30th October 2004, 06:09 PM
Is there any way to build the module for other Kernels? I'm otherwise screwed since 521 doesn't behave properly with my keyboard.

foolish
30th October 2004, 06:13 PM
Yes, get the src.rpm and rebuild it for your kernel. If you run into trouble, ask the maintainer of the package.

Shadow Skill
30th October 2004, 06:16 PM
Is there a how to for building rpms from src.rpms? rpmbuild is leaving me very confused...does it still need a spec file like when you build from a tarball?

krisco750
30th October 2004, 09:10 PM
Hmmm....

[root@krisco ccoulter]# yum install ati-fglrx-3.14.1-0.lvn.6.2 ati-fglrx-devel-3.14.1-0.lvn.6.2 kernel-module-fglrx-2.6.8-1.521-3.14.1-0.lvn.6.2
Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
Server: Livna Testing
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
kernel-module-fglrx-2.6.8 100% |=========================| 2.9 kB 00:00
libdvdnav-devel-0-0.1.10- 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
ati-fglrx-devel-0-3.14.1- 100% |=========================| 2.9 kB 00:00
ati-fglrx-0-3.14.1-0.lvn. 100% |=========================| 5.6 kB 00:00
totem-0-0.99.12-0.lvn.1.2 100% |=========================| 6.8 kB 00:00
kernel-module-fglrx-2.6.8 100% |=========================| 3.0 kB 00:00
totem-mozilla-0-0.99.12-0 100% |=========================| 2.5 kB 00:00
libdvdnav-0-0.1.10-0.lvn. 100% |=========================| 1.9 kB 00:00
kplayer-0-0.5.2-0.lvn.1.2 100% |=========================| 7.8 kB 00:00
Cannot find a package matching ati-fglrx-3.14.1-0.lvn.6.2
Cannot find a package matching ati-fglrx-devel-3.14.1-0.lvn.6.2
Cannot find a package matching kernel-module-fglrx-2.6.8-1.521-3.14.1-0.lvn.6.2
No actions to take
[root@krisco ccoulter]#

Any ideas? I'm pretty new at this stuff, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Shadow Skill
30th October 2004, 09:37 PM
Download each one seperately I ran into the same problem. [It doesn't seem to like my 9700 mobility on my a31 and apparently X got munched....]

krisco750
30th October 2004, 09:56 PM
I don't mean to sound like a complete newb, but well, I am... :P

What do you mean by download them separately? You mean download the RPM's from livna and install them separately? Wouldn't that fudge up the dependencies?

I tried doing yum on each one separately, but it still cannot find the packages.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated :) I'm a bit hesitant to just go fiddling around with things as I don't want to end up without video and having to reinstall ... finally getting things to where I like them set up, and don't want to have to reinstall _again_ hehe.

Jman
30th October 2004, 11:39 PM
Just remove the version info, yum determines that automatically:
yum install ati-fglrx ati-fglrx-devel kernel-module-fglrx

micha
31st October 2004, 03:37 AM
Is there any way to build the module for other Kernels? I'm otherwise screwed since 521 doesn't behave properly with my keyboard.That's easy. First download the source RPM package:
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/2/i386/SRPMS.unstable
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/3/i386/SRPMS.unstable

Then build the rpm package:

rpmbuild --rebuild --target i686 ati-fglrx-3.14.1-0.lvn.6.2.src.rpm

You'll find the RPM packages in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686.
Change the i686 parameter according to your architecture.

Shadow Skill
31st October 2004, 06:01 AM
I meant that you should perform the install for each package calling them seperately it won't whine about dependencies as long as you start with fglrx. That is how I did it and it installed just fine. Anyone know where to find a kernel-module-devel rpm for 2.6.9-1.643? Can't rebuild the src rpm without it.

toxicshock
31st October 2004, 04:58 PM
I've installed the rpms with no problem. However, after running the fglrxconfig utility, do I have to setup the symlink to xorg.conf?

Prometheus
31st October 2004, 05:59 PM
YESS FINALLY!! I've been waiting for ATI rpms for awhile, ever since i screwed up X trying to use their package. ALright, im gonna have to try this later :)

micha
31st October 2004, 09:42 PM
Anyone know where to find a kernel-module-devel rpm for 2.6.9-1.643? Can't rebuild the src rpm without it.

yum install kernel-module-devel
That's it !

micha
31st October 2004, 09:43 PM
I've installed the rpms with no problem. However, after running the fglrxconfig utility, do I have to setup the symlink to xorg.conf?I guess so. If the symlink is not present, just create it.

Shadow Skill
31st October 2004, 11:21 PM
I tried that...apparently there isn't one for the testing releases, but I will try it again just in case.

I tried this on my laptop which is running fc2 and it killed X is there a command I can run to rebuild my X config?

Prometheus
31st October 2004, 11:41 PM
So, i now have the drivers installed, can access the ATI utility in system settings, i enabled external AGP Support, but i still dont feel like there is any hardware acceleration. Is there any to tell for sure?

I feel like im getting some (maybe) as i can now move the windows around really fast without any lag and can still see the contenets in them (couldnt before) but still feel like tux racer is lagging really bad.

AFterthought, I have a NF2 mobo, which if i remember correctly doesnt have external AGP on by default, am i correct? Do i need to turn it on in the kernel, or is there something else i need to do? THanks.

foolish
31st October 2004, 11:50 PM
The simplest way of testing is running glxgears from a terminal.

glxgears

Let it run for a while, Frame per second will be printed to the terminal, if the wheels are fast and the FPS reasonable (over 1000 at least), you have 3d acceleration.

kenewton
1st November 2004, 12:05 AM
I've installed the rpms with no problem. However, after running the fglrxconfig utility, do I have to setup the symlink to xorg.conf?

Here's what I did:

cd ../../etc/X11
mv xorg.config xorg.config.backup
ln -s XF86Config-4 xorg.config # this assumes that both files are in the same directory

That's it. After I rebooted, everything worked fine. First time I've had ATI/OpenGL support since I started using Fedora a month ago. Man, I'm so happy.

kenewton
1st November 2004, 12:12 AM
I'm curious about the FPS stats everyone quotes. People quote FPS of over 1000, like foolish mentioned. I was wondering what screen resolution everyone uses to acheive these rates.

I'm running 1600x1200 using an ATI Radeon 9600SE. Since installing the new drivers, I get about 60+FPS on glgears when I actually run the screen saver. However, when I look at the FPS in the preview screen on the screen saver selection window, it shows an FPS of 1156. (As an aside, before installing the drivers, I was getting 11 FPS on glgears in full screen, so I'm happy with 60+ :D).

So, when I see these huge numbers, is that at lower screen resolutions, or do I still need some major tweaking of my card?

Prometheus
1st November 2004, 12:24 AM
It's spitting out right around 300 FPS for me at default resolution. Wheels are a blur, cant even see individual gears.

As i mentioned before, i have a NF2 mother board, and i dont know if external AGP is enabled in the kernel, how can i check for sure and enable it if its not (i think this may help, but I dont know.)

khana
2nd November 2004, 08:59 PM
[root@localhost khana]# yum install ati-fglrx ati-fglrx-devel kernel-module-fglrx
Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
libdvdnav-devel-0-0.1.10- 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
totem-0-0.99.12-0.lvn.1.2 100% |=========================| 6.8 kB 00:00
kernel-module-fglrx-2.6.8 100% |=========================| 3.0 kB 00:00
totem-mozilla-0-0.99.12-0 100% |=========================| 2.5 kB 00:00
libdvdnav-0-0.1.10-0.lvn. 100% |=========================| 1.9 kB 00:00
kplayer-0-0.5.2-0.lvn.1.2 100% |=========================| 7.8 kB 00:00
Cannot find a package matching kernel-module-fglrx
Resolving dependencies
.conflict between ati-fglrx and fglrx
[root@localhost khana]#

Any can help out here?!

Prometheus
2nd November 2004, 10:30 PM
do you have any other graphics drivers installed? That *may* casue the conflict wit fglrx

lukeedw
2nd November 2004, 10:39 PM
Khana, i have got exactly the same problem as you. Did you try to install the fglrx rpm from ati before the livna ones? Maybe this is conflicting? Not sure what would happen if we tried to remove the installed fglrx? Would update be better?

Shadow Skill
3rd November 2004, 06:34 AM
anyone have any clue what I can download so I can get the ati drivers installed on fc3test2? I keep getting a kernel-module-devel dep error when I try rebuilding the fglrx rpm.

micha
3rd November 2004, 01:48 PM
Cannot find a package matching kernel-module-fglrx
Yep, you have to put the number of the current kernel at the end of kernel-module-fglrx. Ex:

yum install kernel-module-fglrx-2.6.8-1.521
I've modified the first post to include a generic way to install the fglrx kernel module:

yum install kernel-module-fglrx-$(uname -r)
That should work....

micha
3rd November 2004, 01:56 PM
anyone have any clue what I can download so I can get the ati drivers installed on fc3test2? I keep getting a kernel-module-devel dep error when I try rebuilding the fglrx rpm.I guess you'll have to wait for the official FC3 release (which should be soon), and for a new ATI driver release supporting Xorg 6.8.x.... Until then, you'll have to stick with FC2.

micha
3rd November 2004, 02:02 PM
.conflict between ati-fglrx and fglrxYou have to remove any previous installation of the fglrx driver:

rpm -e fglrx

Zervun
3rd November 2004, 06:14 PM
Is there any way to get the dependency rpm's other than using yum?

My linux box is not on the network so I need to transfer it over with a usb stick from a *ick* windows download.

I checked out the yum conf file and it looks as though it just queries rpm servers so I tried to find the required rpms on those sites and didn't have any luck.

Shadow Skill
3rd November 2004, 06:39 PM
Damn it, this sucks I feel punished for having an ati card and using an os that uses Xorg. :( Hopefuly fc3 stable will have the damned devel package when it is released monday. It doesn't work on my laptop (runs fc2)it managed to eat my X server so I can't try out any cool effects. :(

micha
3rd November 2004, 06:53 PM
Damn it, this sucks I feel punished for having an ati card and using an os that uses Xorg. :( Hopefuly fc3 stable will have the damned devel package when it is released monday. It doesn't work on my laptop (runs fc2)it managed to eat my X server so I can't try out any cool effects. :(
Patience is the mother of all virtues ;)

micha
3rd November 2004, 06:54 PM
Is there any way to get the dependency rpm's other than using yum?

My linux box is not on the network so I need to transfer it over with a usb stick from a *ick* windows download.

I checked out the yum conf file and it looks as though it just queries rpm servers so I tried to find the required rpms on those sites and didn't have any luck.Use the command rpm, which will tell you what package is needed.

Shadow Skill
3rd November 2004, 07:55 PM
I was patient when I waited for the driver rpms, while I understand what you are saying but I am getting alittle fustrated with my inability to attempt to use my hardware to its full capacity.

micha
3rd November 2004, 08:02 PM
I was patient when I waited for the driver rpms, while I understand what you are saying but I am getting alittle fustrated with my inability to attempt to use my hardware to its full capacity.I understand, we're all in the same case. The other solution is to change your hardware, which is not possible for people using a laptop (like me)...

Zervun
3rd November 2004, 09:34 PM
Use the command rpm, which will tell you what package is needed.

I know which rpm dependencies I need but I am unable to find them (this is for rebuilding the rpm for my kernel)

I need kernel-module-devel-2.6.9 and fedora-rpmdevtools greater than 0.2.0

neither of them are on the redhat.fedora download site and I havn't been able to find them on the net or rpm finding sites and I am unable to use yum because this machine isn't on the network

Shadow Skill
3rd November 2004, 10:39 PM
I dont think there is a Kernel-module-devel for 2.6.9, I'm in the same boat as you.

micha
3rd November 2004, 10:58 PM
I dont think there is a Kernel-module-devel for 2.6.9,Nope, it's a testing kernel.
I'm in the same boat as you.Same here
:)

Zervun
3rd November 2004, 11:21 PM
I guess the question is then how do I rebuild this when I don't meet the dependency requirements? Should I get a past version of the 2 dependencies and try a force?

kenewton
4th November 2004, 05:26 AM
The simplest way of testing is running glxgears from a terminal.

glxgears

Let it run for a while, Frame per second will be printed to the terminal, if the wheels are fast and the FPS reasonable (over 1000 at least), you have 3d acceleration.

Thanks, Foolish. Using this method, I'm averaging about 1880.4 FPS. I can live with that.

asun
4th November 2004, 09:37 AM
So now in xorg.conf, is the driver "fglrx" or "ati-fglrx"?

foolish
4th November 2004, 11:57 AM
So now in xorg.conf, is the driver "fglrx" or "ati-fglrx"?

I thought one of the major advantages of using the rpm is that you don't have to manually edit anything. I may be wrong. Read the how-to again.

micha
4th November 2004, 01:57 PM
So now in xorg.conf, is the driver "fglrx" or "ati-fglrx"?it's still the fglrx driver. RPM is just a packaging of the official ATI driver for an easy installation.

wootwoot
5th November 2004, 05:21 AM
It's spitting out right around 300 FPS for me at default resolution. Wheels are a blur, cant even see individual gears.

As i mentioned before, i have a NF2 mother board, and i dont know if external AGP is enabled in the kernel, how can i check for sure and enable it if its not (i think this may help, but I dont know.)

I am in the same boat, I have an NF2 board and my agp is not working either. I get some info from dmesg that says:

[fglrx] AGP detected, AgpState = 0x00000000 (hardware caps of chipset)
[fglrx:firegl_unlock] *ERROR* Process 3794 using kernel context 0

Anyone know how to fix this for people with nforce2 boards?

micha
5th November 2004, 03:57 PM
Anyone know how to fix this for people with nforce2 boards?Have a look at the linux forum on http://rage3d.com you may find the solution over there...

esmartuek
18th November 2004, 01:55 PM
it's still the fglrx driver. RPM is just a packaging of the official ATI driver for an easy installation.

first, I'd like to say: WOOHOO!!!! FC3 finally recognised my video card correctly!!! (RV350)
that's one problem I can eliminate from my list of things to get working. (just a few minor things left)
one thing... is glxgears supposed to be reading 360.000 with my mobility 9700 pro turbo (256M)?

makes me question whether the packaged ATI drivers are working correctly.

-ET

loop
18th November 2004, 02:40 PM
ATI driver RPMs at Livna.org - for which Xorg version?

regards,
loop

micha
18th November 2004, 04:46 PM
ATI driver RPMs at Livna.org - for which Xorg version?Xorg 6.7 ...

loop
18th November 2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks. So I guess there's no news for X6.8...
I'm running 6.7 with FC3 + ATI driver (not from Livna) and it's fine...
What exactly is the advantage of using Livnas rpms?

micha
18th November 2004, 07:41 PM
Thanks. So I guess there's no news for X6.8...
I'm running 6.7 with FC3 + ATI driver (not from Livna) and it's fine...
What exactly is the advantage of using Livnas rpms?Easier installation for non expert people.

tooblekane
21st November 2004, 12:34 AM
i keep getting this when i try ..
--
Repository updates-released already added, not adding again
Repository base already added, not adding again
Repository livna-stable already added, not adding again
Setting up Install Process
Setting up Repo: dag
repomd.xml 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
Setting up Repo: atrpms-stable
Setting up Repo: livna-stable
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: livna-stable
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from livna-stable: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
--
this is what i have for livna in yum.conf

###############
## Livna.org ##
###############

[livna-stable]
name=Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/stable
http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/stable
#gpgcheck=1

[livna-unstable]
name=Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (unstable)
http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/unstable
#gpgcheck=1

[livna-testing]
name=Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/testing
http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/testing
#gpgcheck=1

lukeedw
22nd November 2004, 10:56 PM
I am using kernel version 2.6.9-1.3_FC2. When will a module for this kernel become available?

micha
23rd November 2004, 01:03 AM
You can create the ATI fglrx RPM packages for your own kernel.

First, download the source RPM package called ati-fglrx -*.src.rpm at http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/2/i386/SRPMS.stable/

Then rebuild the RPM packages :

rpmbuild --rebuild --target i686 ati-fglrx.src.rpm

You will find the RPM packages for your kernel in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686.

lukeedw
24th November 2004, 11:36 PM
isnt that just the driver rather than the kernel module? when i do the rebuild it asks for the kernel module for 2.6.9 kernel module as a dependency?

micha
25th November 2004, 02:15 PM
isnt that just the driver rather than the kernel module? when i do the rebuild it asks for the kernel module for 2.6.9 kernel module as a dependency?This compiles the driver and the kernel module.
The compilation of the driver requires the kernel-module-devel package, so it only works for official Fedora kernel (i.e. not the testing kernels). Note that the kernel 2.6.9 is now in the official updates (so is the kernel-module-devel package).

lukeedw
26th November 2004, 07:33 PM
I have managed to install the driver (i think!). I ran fglrxconfig and at first it wouldnt start the X server but i changed the PCI bus that it was looking for the device on and it started.
So I ran fglxgears and got a 72fps frame rate (which i guess is a bit on the slow side for a Radeon 9000)?! when i ran fglrxinfo which said:

display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.4 Mesa 5.0.2)

Does this look right?
Have i configured everything properly? Help!!! :confused:

I have just looked in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and found the following lines:
(WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
(WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! *
(WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available *
(WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
im no expert but this doesnt look right to me?!!

I have just restarted the X server using the xorg.conf file that i was running before. the fps is now 216fps. without posing the two conf files can anyone suggest what might be going on?

lukeedw
28th November 2004, 12:30 PM
YES!!!! it works!!! i removed the rpms i created and istalled the 2.6.9 kernel module and driver from livna. couldnt get the devel package for 3.14.6 to install but i now get 1772 fps!

TapkoFF
28th November 2004, 05:44 PM
hello all. I did install ati-fireglx from source RPM for 2.6.9 SMP kernell, and XORG and it did compile OK for me... and X does even start, but - fhen i try to run glxinfo or glxgears - system hanghs up. Here is what i got in Xorg.log - all fglrx options loads OK but then goes this -
No matching visual for __GLcontextMode with visual class = -1 (-1), nplanes = 0
Anyone know solution? Please help :/

arpi
28th November 2004, 10:33 PM
is the ATI rpm any good for laptops?

i tried the ATI rpm before in my laptop and whenever i close the llid it will lock up. suspend won't work. the videocard i have is ATI Radeon Mobility FireGL 9000 and i got the rpm straigh from the ATI website. it worked nice (plenty of fps) but they are not that good for laptops because it won't let me close the lid without locking up.

is this rpm you are talking any different?

TX

TapkoFF
29th November 2004, 01:47 AM
i am talking abput Livna.org RPMS

arpi
29th November 2004, 03:11 AM
ho ok.

i guess it is a little different than the ATI driver.

i s the livna rpm any good for laptops?

TX

Hilco
4th December 2004, 04:31 PM
Woohooo!!! :)
Thanks very much for the information about building your own RPM from source!
It all works fine. fglrxinfo says:

OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9200 Series DDR Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3.4641 (X4.3.0-3.14.6)

And even get a tab with "ati settings" in the gnome start menu (under system settings).

Tuxracer races!!!! :)

Still.... I am wondering if it possible to get fglrx to detect my radeon 9250 se with tv out etc.
Now it only says radeon 9200.

I think that the above mentioned graphical setup user interface in the start menu should also have options about the tv out.

Anybody knows how to do this?

Thnx,

Hilco.

Hilco
4th December 2004, 04:39 PM
Yes it works! fglrxinfo says:

OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9200 Series DDR Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3.4641 (X4.3.0-3.14.6)

And even get a GUI setup for ATI card in gnome start panel under syst-settings.

Thnx very much!

Tuxracer races!!! :)

Only wondering: Is it possible to make it detect the ati radeon 9250 se + tv out? I think the above mentioned ATI GUI-setup should be able to set tv-out options too. But then it probably needs to detect the right card.

Thnx!

Hilco.

the_phet
6th January 2005, 10:19 PM
Hello, I have the same problem that tooblekane had, and I have not seen an answer. When I type yum install ati-fglrx ati-fglrx-devel kernel-module-fglrx-$(uname -r) it returns:
root@phet joan]# yum install ati-fglrx ati-fglrx-devel kernel-module-fglrx-$(uname -r)
Setting up Repo: dries
Setting up Repo: atrpms
Setting up Repo: xcyb-bleeding
Setting up Repo: livna-stable
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: livna-stable
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from livna-stable: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

what can i do to repair it? I need tuxracer to work well :D

nandowong
7th January 2005, 03:19 AM
will this work with igp 320 mobility U1 on my laptop? btw im runing fc3

the_phet
7th January 2005, 10:58 AM
Hello, I have fixed my problem, but now I have a new one:

[root@phet joan]# yum install ati-fglrx

(... it does all the stuff ...)

livna-stab: ################################################## 121/121
livna-test: ################################################## 25/25
livna-unst: ################################################## 24/24

(it searches in the good ones)

No Match for argument ati-fglrx
Nothing to do

Is the rpm removed? have it changed the name?

micha
8th January 2005, 04:11 AM
Hello, I have fixed my problem, but now I have a new one:

[root@phet joan]# yum install ati-fglrx

(... it does all the stuff ...)

livna-stab: ################################################## 121/121
livna-test: ################################################## 25/25
livna-unst: ################################################## 24/24

(it searches in the good ones)

No Match for argument ati-fglrx
Nothing to do

Is the rpm removed? have it changed the name?It seems that you're using FC3. Don't forget the ATI driver is not yet ready for FC3 (coming soon).
http://fedorafaq.org

nixBoo
9th January 2005, 09:24 PM
It seems that you're using FC3. Don't forget the ATI driver is not yet ready for FC3 (coming soon).
http://fedorafaq.org
How soon though I wonder ....?

It seems to be a never ending waiting game in this respect (laptops), with ATI (and also ltmodem support, but that's a sifferent story).
Frankly, I'm quite sick and tired of building drivers from alternate sources for my internal Agere modem :\ And this with every kernel release ... grrr ...
Anyway, I hope to see the *new* ATI drivers soon as I can't wait to get some 3D accel. going with my FPS games :D

Forlorn
22nd January 2005, 02:19 PM
Installed the new livna rpm for FC3 without probs.

fglrxinfo:

OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.1)

glxinfo:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGI_make_current_read,
GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
client glx vendor string: ATI
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float,
GLX_ATI_render_texture
GLX extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
GLX_ARB_multisample
OpenGL extensions:
GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp,
GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_blend_color,
GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,
GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x23 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 None
0x24 24 tc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 0 1 0 None
0x25 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 1 0 None
0x26 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 1 0 None
0x27 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 None
0x28 24 dc 0 24 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 0 16 8 16 16 16 0 1 0 None
0x29 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 1 0 None
0x2a 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 16 8 16 16 16 16 1 0 None

So no 3D. What to do else except installing and running fglrxconfig once?

nandowong
22nd January 2005, 04:20 PM

it looks like it is still using mesa

Forlorn
22nd January 2005, 05:16 PM
How to fix that?

nandowong
23rd January 2005, 11:19 PM
How to fix that?

im not sure, mine is doing that too.

mine also says device not found when inserting fglrx.ko?

also with fglrxcofing when it probes for my card it cant find it. (igp 320m) mobility u1

chiku31
23rd January 2005, 11:40 PM
Mine having the same problem, too. Anyone know how to fix it yet?
It seems the 3D performance got worst after installing the Livna ati-driver. Tux Racer is now running more slowly than before when using the flgrx driver.

[johnson@localhost ~]$ fglrxinfo

[root@localhost johnson]# export LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose
[root@localhost johnson]# glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
libGL error: XF86DRIQueryDirectRenderingCapable returned false
libGL error: XF86DRIQueryDirectRenderingCapable returned false
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: No

Ph34rT3hP3ngu1n
25th January 2005, 02:37 AM
You are the coolest person I know...
it installed flawlwssly, the easiest ati install i've ever done and the only issue i had was accudentally setting the keyboard driver to KBD instead of kbd... This is what i get now...

[jason@ph34rthepenguin ~]$ fglrxinfo
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9800 Pro Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3.4769 (X4.3.0-8.8.25)
[jason@ph34rthepenguin ~]$ glxgears
15439 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3087.800 FPS (used to be around 300)
16215 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3243.000 FPS
16211 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3242.200 FPS
16211 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3242.200 FPS
16203 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3240.600 FPS
[jason@ph34rthepenguin ~]$ fgl_glxgears
3008 frames in 5.0 seconds = 601.600 FPS
3200 frames in 5.0 seconds = 640.000 FPS
3200 frames in 5.0 seconds = 640.000 FPS
2699 frames in 5.0 seconds = 539.800 FPS
2832 frames in 5.0 seconds = 566.400 FPS
3190 frames in 5.0 seconds = 638.000 FPS
3189 frames in 5.0 seconds = 637.800 FPS
2940 frames in 5.0 seconds = 588.000 FPS
Kudos to you for painless install... now only if steam and ventrilo would work, then i could use fedora for days at a time!
-ph34r

PeTzZz
28th January 2005, 01:50 PM
Hm, I installed Livna unstable rpms and got them to work too. Here (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=158775#post158775) is what I did.

I mean those new drivers for FC3.

Toroidh
29th January 2005, 07:33 PM
Hi all, I've found a problem using ATI drivers.
They seems to be installed and working correctly but X (gnome) is displayed in a VERY strange way: it looks like my monitor is smaller than the desktop area!!! When I move the mouse pointer to the screen edges the desktop moves showing me the rest. I think that the drivers are working correctly but this behavior is very annoying!!! Please, can you tell me if there is an xorg.conf option that I can disable?

Than you very much.

p.s.:
the gnome screen manager told me that the resolution is the same I used without the ati drivers (and when everything worked fine, 1280x800)

Toroidh
30th January 2005, 12:32 PM
Hi all, I've found a problem using ATI drivers.
[...] Please, can you tell me if there is an xorg.conf option that I can disable?

Problem solved! The option to disable is:

VideoOverlay

Unfortunately, the saga isn't ended :(
The X appearance is now ok but:
1) When I login as someone different from the root, gnome start loading but after a few seconds the screen become black and X kick me back to the greater!!!! What can I do? I can't login!

2) Logged in as root (the only account I can use) I've tried to run glxgears to test the drivers: the screen turns to black and kick me back to the greater like in the previous point!!!

3) When I press <ctrl><alt><F1> to have a virtual console the screen freezes! Result: I can't use the console. :(

Please!!!!! Help me!!!
I hope these problem aren't due to the drivers' instability......

Toroidh
30th January 2005, 02:17 PM
after a few seconds the screen become black and X kick me back to the greater!!!! What can I do? I can't login!

Ooops...the "greater" is the X login greeter.

Sorry for my poor english... :rolleyes:

Anyone could help me?
Thank you

GuruX
30th January 2005, 10:01 PM
I'm new at this (and know the risks with installing unstable drivers and such).

Anyways, when I went to use yum to install the ATI driver, it went to install a bunch of stuff, then ended with this error:

Error: missing dep: /usr/X11R6/include/X11/extensions for pkg ati-fglrx-devel
Error: missing dep: /usr/include/GL for pkg ati-fglrx-devel

Any idea what could cause this? I have the livna repositories added to my yum.conf file.

micha
31st January 2005, 12:59 AM
It seems there's a problem with yum and the Livna packages of the ATI driver.
You can download the good packages directly on the server, and install them manualy.
You need the following packages : ati-fglrx, kernel-module-fglrx-{exact_kernel_version}
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/3/i386/RPMS.unstable

GuruX
31st January 2005, 01:39 AM
I've been trying that other route for a whiile now as well, but it appears I figured out the problem.

From what I can tell, I have the 2.6.9 kernel instead of the 2.6.10 one (2.6.9 appears on startup).

I also receive some error about QT not being installed, which means I can't use the ATI control panel -- hopefully that is directly related to using the wrong kernel version too). We'll see what happens later tonight.

micha
31st January 2005, 11:18 AM
I've been trying that other route for a whiile now as well, but it appears I figured out the problem.

From what I can tell, I have the 2.6.9 kernel instead of the 2.6.10 one (2.6.9 appears on startup).

I also receive some error about QT not being installed, which means I can't use the ATI control panel -- hopefully that is directly related to using the wrong kernel version too). We'll see what happens later tonight.Well, we don't care about the ATI control panel, because there's nothing in there. And you should upgrade your kernel. Also check on the Livna RPM repository to see for which kernel version the ATI driver has been packaged.

SDNick484
31st January 2005, 11:23 AM
I am having trouble getting the drivers to work under a recompiled kernel (.2.6.10-1.9_FC2custom). I have followed the instructions and built my own RPM using:

rpmbuild --rebuild --target i686 ati-fglrx-8.8.25.1-0.lvn.4.2.src.rpm

And I have (force) installed the resulting RPM's, however when I check fglrxinfo I get the following:

# fglrxinfo
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.4 Mesa 5.0.2)

When I used the drivers with a RPM kernel downloaded off of yum, the ATI drivers are listed. Furthermore, under Mesa I am only getting about 300 frames per second in glxgears (compared to over a thousand wth the ATI drivers).

My xorg.conf contains the following info:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "fglrx"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "ATI Radeon 9600"
Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Group 0
Mode 0666
EndSection

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The machine is a P4 & the card is a 9600XL. On a side note, prior to this xvinfo claimed no adaptor was present however ati-fglrx-8.8.25.1-0 seemed to haved fixed that.

MortalWombat
3rd February 2005, 02:24 PM
Hi,

Sharing my experience, waiting for a hint.

Yesterday I made up my mind to install this driver with OpenGL support on my Fedora Core 2 after replacing my old defected Nvidia card with a Radeon 9600 (Club3d).

First was to get up-to-date (I thought it can only help), so i made

- yum update

That even refreshed my kernel to the last possible version and a new line appeared in the boot manager (I use grub).
Then I have been reading and getting confused by this forest of patches, kernel versions and Xorg versions. Tried and failed some. Removed the failed packages, patches.
Then, after some more reading I have found the Livna site.

From here

http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/2/i386/SRPMS.stable/ati-fglrx-3.14.6-0.lvn.2.2.src.rpm

I downloaded those sources which I considered to be suitable for my system ( running yummed FC2), and hoped complicated patching will not be required.
Got the kernel-sources over yum.
Got the rpm-build tool from fedora.us mirrors over yum to be able to compile the rpm.
Compiled the stuff and some rpms landed somewhere in my dir struct. Only maybe 1 small warning about some pci stuff after compilation (or the install),but no errors, no error codes.

Found the rpms and
rpm --replacefiles -ivh {x.rpm}
rpm --replacefiles -ivh {y.rpm}
rpm --replacefiles -ivh {z.rpm}

(of course they had some other names)
One depended on another, so the order was also important.
The whole compilation procedure seemed to be flawless except that small (?) pci warning (I don't remember the content now exactly, but I will as soon as I get home).
Prepared a nice xorg.conf with the configurator util.

Then restarted the PC. Some keyboard problems at X startup. Nothing serious I suppose.
Test util fglrxinfo says I have Mesa GLX Indirect. Damn ....

Any idea ?

:confused:

Thanks

Dave

"It's not a bug, but a feature :)"

Ebichu
3rd February 2005, 04:28 PM
Try downloading regular rpm's, they worked on my machine (even the latest unstable drivers worked on my machin : D)
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/2/i386/RPMS.stable/
And get suitable kernel module too!

MortalWombat
3rd February 2005, 08:21 PM
As far as a I can see my problem is the 2.6.10 kernel. I wonder if anybody with this 2.6.10-1.9_FC2 kernel. As I see I'm not the only one completing the installation steps and failing. Now I will downgrade my kernel first to a version where Livna has also the kernel file prepared.

I tried to compile the files myself for the 2.6.10 no big problems, but it didn't work out.
I tried to download prcompiled ones from Livna, but for this version the kernel file doesn't exsist.

Since I haven't been able to adjust this driver to my Operation System, now I will (have to) adjust my Operation system to a driver .. verry-verry B.A.D. Poor driver support from ATI. I think it's time for them to wake up and realize here's an uprising market. However I appreciate the efforts of the guys at Livna to make it better.

That's all, folks
(for now, but I will tell you the tricks when (and if) i completed this quest)

MortalWombat
4th February 2005, 10:04 AM
Hi

One more remark. As I see the kernel I got after the 'yum update' (2.6.10-1.9_FC2 ) is somewhere halfway between the Fedora 2 and Fedora 3. In the name it's FC2 but I guess this kernelversion is used by Core 3 lately. Maybe I should follow the instructions for Core 3 ??

I seem to have two choices to clear this up:
- Downgrade to a 2.6.9 version for which Livna has full set of RPMs.
- Give up my custom FC2 completely and make a clear FC3 install. But customizing the FC3 again is also a lots of headache ...

Confusing. Annoying. Challenging. I'll like it when it'll work :) And it will. You have my word for it.

niloppa
5th February 2005, 05:34 PM
there's answer in this link ===> www.s_what_i.com (linoczka.blox.pl/html)

micha
5th February 2005, 11:11 PM
It's fairly easy to build the ATI driver for the last kernel using the Livna source RPM package. Here is an example for FC2 (which may be transposed to FC3) :

Update the kernel to the last one available. For example :
kernel-2.6.10-1.11_FC2.

Download the last ATI driver source RPM package on Livna repository. For example :
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/2/i386/SRPMS.unstable/ati-fglrx-8.8.25.1-0.lvn.4.2.src.rpm

Boot to the new updated kernel.
Then rebuild the ATI driver :

rpmbuild --rebuild --target i686 ati-fglrx-8.8.25.1-0.lvn.4.2.src.rpm

This will generate brand new RPM packages of the ATI driver and the module suitable to your freshly installed kernel. In this example :

/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686/ati-fglrx-8.8.25.1-0.lvn.4.2.i686.rpm
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686/kernel-module-fglrx-2.6.10-1.12_FC2-8.8.25.1-0.lvn.4.2.i686.rpm
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686/ati-fglrx-devel-8.8.25.1-0.lvn.4.2.i686.rpm
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686/ati-fglrx-debuginfo-8.8.25.1-0.lvn.4.2.i686.rpm

Then you can install the ATI driver and/or the kernel module.

Note : this is an example, so there are several variables that you'll have to adapt (the ati driver, the Livna source package, the "--target" option for rpmbuild).

MortalWombat
6th February 2005, 01:53 AM
Hi,

Just wanted to mention that previously I tried the way Micha recommends: builded the modules from sources, installed them, configured them, renamed the conf file, rebooted but no luck with the 2.6.10-1.9_FC2 kernel.

Anyway, thanks.

micha
6th February 2005, 02:12 AM
Weird, it worked for me....

Squishy
6th February 2005, 09:41 AM
I'm new at this (and know the risks with installing unstable drivers and such).

Anyways, when I went to use yum to install the ATI driver, it went to install a bunch of stuff, then ended with this error:

Error: missing dep: /usr/X11R6/include/X11/extensions for pkg ati-fglrx-devel
Error: missing dep: /usr/include/GL for pkg ati-fglrx-devel

Any idea what could cause this? I have the livna repositories added to my yum.conf file.

I have the exact same problem. CAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP? It would be greatly apreciated.
:)

micha
7th February 2005, 01:24 AM
You don't need to install the ati-fglrx-devel package (except if you need to compile OpenGL programs ; and if so, you need the xorg-x11-devel and xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL packages)

micha
7th February 2005, 01:36 AM
The how-to in the first post of this thread has been updated. Now it should more complete, and it should work for most of people. If some information need to be updated or added, please let me know, I'll modify the how-to.

tjmax
8th February 2005, 12:17 AM
Thanks Micha, once again a Great help.

[root@localhost ~]# glxgears
13561 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2712.200 FPS
16212 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3242.400 FPS
16217 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3243.400 FPS
16207 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3241.400 FPS

nandowong
9th February 2005, 05:38 PM
does anyone know if it will work with the IGP 320 m mobility u1?

I follow the how to to a t, but when x starts it says that fglrx.ko could not be inserted, and when I run fglrxconfig it cant find a pci card to bind to.

there is also an option on the xorg.conf file where you can specify the BusId. I tried that too, but no luck.

Right now using the mesa radeon driver the screen smears and I only get 170fps on glxgears.

Any ideas on gettting the fglrx to work?

micha
9th February 2005, 06:31 PM
does anyone know if it will work with the IGP 320 m mobility u1?I don't know about IGP, so you can search/ask on rage3.com forum :

Hrothgar
9th February 2005, 06:33 PM
Finally 3D support working.......
[hrothgar@project-xxzuwxj ~]$ glxgears
8660 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1732.000 FPS
10166 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2033.200 FPS
10166 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2033.200 FPS
10165 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2033.000 FPS
10165 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2033.000 FPS
10163 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2032.600 FPS
10158 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2031.600 FPS
10193 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2038.600 FPS

[hrothgar@project-xxzuwxj ~]$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

I edited my yum file as discribed here...... http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

Every thing working good for 3D.... but no sound from tux..... more work to be done.....

jimispier
11th February 2005, 10:04 PM
I added the livna stuff to my apt (using synaptic) and removed my other drivers. I installed the livna files and kernal mod.. and I (for the first time) am able to play 3d rendered games!

Thanks Y'all

Jimi

Mad Cow
12th February 2005, 02:02 AM
Congrats!

Wish I had the same luck. I've installed the drivers manually and through Livna, and both ways I freeze completely whenever I attempt a program wanting to use GL. Had to switch back down to my old xorg.conf...

Great tutorial, Micha, but I get to give up hope yet again on ever getting these cursed drivers working. I'm almost tempted to reinstall Linux to see if there is something I've changed that would make this not work right, but I severely doubt such is the case. This probably isn't the place to even post this, so my appologies.

spoony
12th February 2005, 02:09 AM
Hi there,

really sorry I have spent ages on this forum and others trying to sus this all out but i am new to a lot of this and need help.

I am using an ati mobility 9700 card in my laptop running Fc3

I originally tried installing the official ati drivers but got no joy.

I followed the instructions for setting up yum to install the livnia drivers and it seemed to go fine even didnt have a problem with my kernel ( I am using the ccrma low latency kernel for audio)

I get the little ati box in the system settings now . But my screen still looks fuzzy and glxgears runs at about 360 fps so no dri either.

What further info should i post to get some help. I really need a bit of support here on my quest for a windows free life.

thanks

spoony

micha
12th February 2005, 02:27 AM
If you have a problem, please post the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log in attached files.

Also, when you install the ATI driver, it is important that you remove any previous ATI driver (see the beginning of the howto).

Mad Cow
12th February 2005, 07:42 AM
As I may have noted before, X completely freezes upon opening a OpenGL program like glxgears. I also ran into trouble today when I opened Photoshop in Wine. My video card (Radeon 9800 Pro, if you hadn't read that in the logs) stopped output! My monitor promptly informed me it wasn't getting a signal, so I blindly switched into tty1 and rebooted my computer. System wasn't frozen, but videocard seemed to have completely shut down. I'm now using my default xorg.conf until I can get the fglrx problems resolved.

Oh, and I followed your tutorial to the letter. I removed all of the previous fglrx stuff.

Thanks for your help!

spoony
12th February 2005, 10:51 AM
hi there,

thanks for the reply. i have attached the conf and log files (i had to archive the log file to get it to upload)

I did try and uninstall the ati drivers and got this:

[root@localhost spoony]# yum remove ati-fglrx* kernel-module-fglrx*
Setting up Remove Process
No Packages marked for removal
[root@localhost spoony]# rpm -e fglrx
error: package fglrx is not installed
[root@localhost spoony]# rm -rf /lib/modules/fglrx
[root@localhost spoony]#

thanks for looking, my laptop is a white elephant at the moment without decent graphics.

ta

spoony

rendered_one
12th February 2005, 05:23 PM
Hi there, I have an ATI AIW/Remote Wonder card and nothing seems to work here...

I've tried removing the old ATI packages, and reinstalling the new ones.. but for some reason whenever I boot the kernel i installed the modules for it freezes my comp when it would normally start X. :S But it worked ONCE after installed it... only once... and when I change the driver to radeon reboot into that kernel.. and then change it backto fglrx and reboot it works... but only once then it screws up again... :S And if I reboot into a kernel that doesn't support that module... it works... but w/o 3D accel. :(
Does anyone have any clue why this is happening?

Here are is my config and log.. they didn't really help me much, maybe u can make some sense out of them..

micha
12th February 2005, 06:22 PM
As I may have noted before, X completely freezes upon opening a OpenGL program like glxgears. I also ran into trouble today when I opened Photoshop in Wine. My video card (Radeon 9800 Pro, if you hadn't read that in the logs) stopped output! My monitor promptly informed me it wasn't getting a signal, so I blindly switched into tty1 and rebooted my computer. System wasn't frozen, but videocard seemed to have completely shut down. I'm now using my default xorg.conf until I can get the fglrx problems resolved.

Oh, and I followed your tutorial to the letter. I removed all of the previous fglrx stuff.

Thanks for your help!It seems there is trouble with the PCI BusID :
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
(--) Chipset ATI Radeon 9800PRO NH (AGP) found
You can change the PCI BusID settings in the device section of the xorg.conf file :
BusID "PCI:1:0:1"

Mad Cow
12th February 2005, 06:36 PM
Ah! That's a good lead.

I'm not seeing the problem above you are referring to, though. Was there a solution to it?

Okay, so hopefully we've isolated the real problem with this driver on my system. Before I get myself all mired in research, do you have any suggestions or references I can use in solving this?

As always, I appreciate your help very much.

Edit: Oh, you were editing while I was typing. I'll try that, thanks,

Mad Cow
12th February 2005, 06:57 PM
:( I got errors (I probably just used your suggestion incorrectly):

At the end of the Xorg.0.log file:

(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:0) found
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

What I changed on the xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "fglrx"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "ATI Radeon 9800"
Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
BusID "PCI:1:0:1"
EndSection

micha
12th February 2005, 07:05 PM
Well, that's weird. Do you have 2 graphics cards ? Is the AGP/PCI primary device settings in your BIOS right ? What is your motherboard chipset (it might be a problem with the AGP driver, but I don't think so)....

Mad Cow
12th February 2005, 07:17 PM
(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory) is in the log file too, but I don't know if that has anything to do with anything.

Gnome's hardware browser has this to say about my hardware:
Video cards: ATI Radeon R350 (Radeon 9800 Pro)
System Devices: Intel Corp 440GX - 82443GX Host bridge
Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI
Linux 2.6.10-1.741_FC3smp uhci_hcd UHCI Host Controller
Unkown deices: Adaptec AGA-1542CP - ADP1542

I only have one video card. I don't know what those system devices are (the first claims to be managed by agpart). My motherboard seems a bit odd to me, I'm not terribly familiar with its set up. It has a ton of SCSI stuff on it, but I'm almost positive that has nothing to do with it. Dual PIII processor chipset, not a terrible lot of RAM.

I'm not sure if I answered your questions. I don't know about my BIOS settings, but I wouldn't think they are wrong because everything works fine on Windows (but comparing this to Windows might be innapropriate, given ATI's increased Windows support). If there is something specific you need me to look for in my BIOS, I'll look.

micha
12th February 2005, 08:32 PM
Sorry, I can't help :(

Mad Cow
12th February 2005, 09:36 PM
:mad: Dang it.

This is making me so mad. If Windows can handle this, Linux should be able to too. Well, then, suppose you can point me off to another place to try? Or perhaps wait for Livna to release their stable version? I doubt contacting ATI would help. Perhaps there's a patch I can apply?

Mad Cow
12th February 2005, 09:43 PM
Well, hold on. running lspci | grep ATI gives me: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro] (Secondary)

Does that help? Is there a way I can merely disable 1:00.1?

deliyana
13th February 2005, 09:35 PM
ok. look this answer ===> www.s__ati_rpms_divers.o_i.com (linoczka.blox.pl/html)

DoorGunner
13th February 2005, 11:31 PM
[root@localhost john]# /etc/yum.conf
bash: /etc/yum.conf: Permission denied

why is this happening?? I seem to have that happen in other areas as well

micha
14th February 2005, 02:28 AM
[root@localhost john]# /etc/yum.conf
bash: /etc/yum.conf: Permission denied

why is this happening?? I seem to have that happen in other areas as wellyum.conf is a config file in text format. You have to modify it with a text editor (gedit, kate, gvim, emacs,...).

DoorGunner
14th February 2005, 06:27 PM
ok I can access the yum.conf...thank you

i have the latest FC3 and all updates are complete ie Kernel 2.6.10-1 760 i686 according to grub on startup
i am assuming that i may not have to do anyfurther updating. (i am also asuming that redhat notification tool is working and grub may not need to be used)

I tried to remove the ati drivers but it said non were found so i am assuming no further action here

when i went to the Livna unstable repository and installed the drivers. There was some feature on that firefox had that recognized the download needed to be installed. So i let it do so and had no problems.

I down loaded the keys and I now have installed
ati-fglrx-8.8.25.1-0.lvn.4.3.i386.rpm 20-Jan-2005 21:04 3.3M
ati-fglrx-devel-8.8.25.1-0.lvn.4.3.i386.rpm 20-Jan-2005 21:04 28K

I will now do the " That's it !! Restart Xorg.. " part (i am assuming reboot) I will be back and report

t3gah
14th February 2005, 08:44 PM
This how-to is dedicated to the installation and configuration of the ATI driver using Livna RPM packages.

Before installing the Livna RPMs, you need to remove any previous ATI driver. Something like :

yum remove ati-fglrx* kernel-module-fglrx*
rpm -e fglrx

First, you have to setup yum for Livna.org unstable repository. So modify you /etc/yum.conf file.

Fedora Core 2

[livna-unstable]
name=Livna Unstable
gpgcheck=1
Fedora Core 3

[livna-unstable]
name=Livna Unstable
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.unstable
gpgcheck=1

You can import the GPG key for Livna repositories:

rpm --import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

Then, install the ATI driver:

yum install ati-fglrx kernel-module-fglrx-$(uname -r)

That's it !! Restart Xorg...

The ATI driver has its own internal AGP management for Intel chipsets. If you don't have an Intel chipset, change the "UseInternalAGPGART" option to "no" in the device section of the /etc/X11/xorg.con file :

Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"Note that if you have a nForce chispet, you need the nVidia driver installed and loaded (I guess, it's no my case).

If you have a problem with the RPM packages, please report bugs at:
http://bugzilla.livna.org
http://bugzilla.livna.org/show_bug.cgi?id=296

Enjoy :)
There's the bit I didn't notice the first time around. The files are located in the UNSTABLE depository. *ulp*

uh... if they are supposed to be the latest/greatest working drivers, wouldn't they be STABLE since they released them?

t3gah
14th February 2005, 08:56 PM
Well, we don't care about the ATI control panel, because there's nothing in there. And you should upgrade your kernel. Also check on the Livna RPM repository to see for which kernel version the ATI driver has been packaged.In my ATI control panel I noticed that the wrong info is listed. My ATI video card is a 9200 128MB DDR 8x "AGP", not a 9200LE "PCI", which is what's listed.

Also the mesa3d info shows up there so you know something is amis.

DoorGunner
15th February 2005, 03:57 AM
OMG :eek:

[john@localhost ~]$ glxgears
13601 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2720.200 FPS
16216 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3243.200 FPS
16208 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3241.600 FPS
[john@localhost ~]$ /usr/X11R6/bin/fglrxinfo
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9800 Pro Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3.4769 (X4.3.0-8.8.25)

[john@localhost ~]$

it works

Thanks Micha......your the greatest :D :D :D

DoorGunner
16th February 2005, 08:19 AM
oh oh......what happened..... :mad:

I noticed my updates required updating...so i down loaded the newer kernel...2.6.10-1.766 and to my horror the ATI drivers stopped working.....what can i do?? How can i uninstall the new Kernel?? Is this going to be a recurring theme with the drivers??

nandowong
16th February 2005, 11:41 PM
oh oh......what happened..... :mad:

I noticed my updates required updating...so i down loaded the newer kernel...2.6.10-1.766 and to my horror the ATI drivers stopped working.....what can i do?? How can i uninstall the new Kernel?? Is this going to be a recurring theme with the drivers??

you will have to install every time you get a new kernel

however, you can still boot to the old one at the grub screen when you first turn it on

esmartuek
20th March 2005, 11:19 PM
so, I was trying to get ndiswrapper to work for my wlan and another thread said that I needed a 16k stack kernel. so I got the 2.6.10-1.770_FC3 16k stack version of the kernel and now my livna drivers wont work even when reinstalled (I removed the old ones before reinstalling them too)

does anyone know if this is something I can work around or if I am oging to be stuck with a wired connection for my ati drivers to work?

nandowong
20th March 2005, 11:31 PM
so, I was trying to get ndiswrapper to work for my wlan and another thread said that I needed a 16k stack kernel. so I got the 2.6.10-1.770_FC3 16k stack version of the kernel and now my livna drivers wont work even when reinstalled (I removed the old ones before reinstalling them too)

does anyone know if this is something I can work around or if I am oging to be stuck with a wired connection for my ati drivers to work?

i use the fc3 regular kernel with ndiswrapper and it works fine. it depends on the specific driver, so give it a shot with the regular one.

micha
21st March 2005, 12:35 AM
i use the fc3 regular kernel with ndiswrapper and it works fine.Same thing here.

Forlorn
22nd March 2005, 04:52 PM
Can I disable the agp module cause I am running a 9200 pci and in xorg.0.log I see that this does make the issues for me. Same way to install but other pc went fine nevertheless

BoyWonder410
23rd March 2005, 10:17 AM
Just got a new *used* hp lappy. It's a hp ze4532us. After installing FC3 it would boot and then not use the LCD screen. A monitor works fine plugged into the back. I followed the directions at the beginning of the thread to update the radeon drivers ( it has an ATI Radeon 320) and upon reboot it hangs at "configuring kernel parameters".

Because I can't get into the lappy the best specs i can provide are as follows:
Athalon 2000+ ( i think this is like 900mhz..)
radeon 320
40gb
192mb ram

any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:

Kernel version 2.6.9-1.667

flatproject
8th April 2005, 05:12 PM
Just to let people know how i got my radeon x700 working on FC3 64 bit.

I followed micha's 1st post, but although everything seemed installed correctly, glxinfo still was saying vesa, and of course no 3d acceleration enabled. After 3 weeks of no 3d accel. FINALLY today i say the light!!!

yum install compat-libstdc++ and restart was enough to solve all the problems!!! 3D is working, tuxracer is working and the most important IM HAPPY!!!!

Many thanks to fedoraforum members micha for his first post and bartil for his post on
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49942&highlight=install+ati

mkoljack
14th April 2005, 09:27 PM
I'm relatively new to linux, running Fedora Core 3. I have an ATI 9200 card and don't want to trash the video by installing unstable rpm's. Can you tell me the benefits of the livna unstable drivers, are you all running the drivers with no problem, do I need to install the (ati-fglrx.i386 0:8.12.10.1-0.lvn.1.3 pkg) in addition to (ati-fglrx.i386 0:8.12.10.1-0.lvn.1.3). I enjoy watching movies and will be starting gaming soon I hope.

I'm being very cautious because I recently had a big problem when I upgraded to gnome 2.10 using 3rd party rpms, I fixed that mess, and now want a nice system taking advantage of my hardware. I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

As painful as my gnome upgrade experience was, people here were honest and helpful. Thank you very much. I really am enjoying Linux!

mkoljack
15th April 2005, 07:05 AM
Hi -- I have a AII Radeon 9200. I would like to install the Livna drivers as indicated. Howver, everyone made it clear to uninstall the existing drivers. I think from the following output, I havd the "radeon driver". Do I need ;to do any removal. Or should I just follow the how to and forget about removal? Any suggestions?

glxgears output is:

[mkoljack@juancassie X11]$ glxgears
2074 frames in 5.0 seconds = 414.800 FPS
2598 frames in 5.0 seconds = 519.600 FPS
2629 frames in 5.0 seconds = 525.800 FPS
2593 frames in 5.0 seconds = 518.600 FPS
2597 frames in 5.0 seconds = 519.400 FPS
2628 frames in 5.0 seconds = 525.600 FPS
2631 frames in 5.0 seconds = 526.200 FPS
2576 frames in 5.0 seconds = 515.200 FPS

This is from var/log/Xorg.0.log:

(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a
(II) Module ddc: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 1.0.0
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.7
(II) Loading sub module "i2c"
(II) LoadModule: "i2c"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libi2c.a
(II) Module i2c: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 1.2.0
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.7(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
(--) Chipset ATI Radeon 9200 5961 (AGP) found
(II) resource ranges after xf86ClaimFixedResources() call:
[0] -1 0 0xffe00000 - 0xffffffff (0x200000) MX(B)
[1] -1 0 0x00100000 - 0x2f7fffff (0x2f700000) MXE(B)
. . . . .
[25] -1 0 0x0000d800 - 0x0000d8ff (0x100) IX[B](B)
(II) Loading sub module "radeon"
[B](II) LoadModule: "radeon"
[B](II) Reloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o
(II) resource ranges after probing:
[0] -1 0 0xffe00000 - 0xffffffff (0x200000) MX[B](B)
[1] -1 0 0x00100000 - 0x2f7fffff (0x2f700000) MX[B]E(B)
. . . . .
[30] 0 0 0x000003c0 - 0x000003df (0x20) IS[B]
(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) RADEON(0): MMIO registers at 0xff8f0000
(II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
(II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(II) Module vgahw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 0.1.0
(II) RADEON(0): vgaHWGetIOBase: hwp->IOBase is 0x03d0, hwp->PIOOffset is 0x0000
(II) RADEON(0): PCI bus 1 card 0 func 0
(**) RADEON(0): Depth 16, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
(II) RADEON(0): Pixel depth = 16 bits stored in 2 bytes (16 bpp pixmaps)
(==) RADEON(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) RADEON(0): RGB weight 565
(II) RADEON(0): Using 6 bits per RGB (8 bit DAC)
(II) Loading sub module "int10"
(II) LoadModule: "int10"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libint10.a
(II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) RADEON(0): initializing int10
(II) RADEON(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(--) RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon 9200 5961 (AGP)" (ChipID = 0x5961)
(--) RADEON(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xd8000000
(--) RADEON(0): BIOS at 0xff8c0000
(--) RADEON(0): VideoRAM: 131072 kByte (128 bit DDR SDRAM)
(II) RADEON(0): PCI card detected
(II) Loading sub module "ddc"
(II) LoadModule: "ddc"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a
(II) Module ddc: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading sub module "i2c"
(II) LoadModule: "i2c"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libi2c.a
(II) Module i2c: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 6.8.2, module version = 1.2.0
(II) RADEON(0): I2C bus "DDC" initialized.
(II) RADEON(0): Legacy BIOS detected
(II) RADEON(0): Connector0: DDCType-3, DACType-0, TMDSType--1, ConnectorType-2
(II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
(II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" removed.
(II) RADEON(0): DDC Type: 3, Detected Type: 1
(II) RADEON(0): EDID data from the display on port 1 ----------------------
(II) RADEON(0): Manufacturer: SAM Model: 10b Serial#: 1196634423
(II) RADEON(0): Year: 2004 Week: 17

Thank you.

BdUp
15th April 2005, 08:38 PM
My card is Sapphire Radeon 9600Pro Atlantis 256MB and I've been trying to get the 3D support working in FC3 for 2 weeks now without success.

I've tried to install atis own drivers and also livnas drivers. There were no problems installing them, but neither of them works..

Before the login-screen theres only lines across the screen. After logging in, the desktop is loaded normally but then the monitor goes off..

Any ideas, what's the problem?

sleepingfingers
20th April 2005, 02:18 AM
I installed the patches as yall said. I have my laptop boot into init 3 for debugging goodness. After it boots and I enter my Uname and Pass, I send it the 'startx' command. FC3 starts to load and on the initial splash screen it locks up. The pointer freezes, and the keyboard is unresposive. The only thing that works is the power button, which shuts linux down cleanly. Anyone got some help? I am new to linux, so I am not to sure where to even look for logs. Thanks alot in advance yall.
-Sleepingfingers.

MaldiGola
23rd April 2005, 08:19 PM
Hi all,
I am one frustrated ATI user. I want to get the driver to work in FC3 but have not yet been successful. Can anyone provide a step by step guide for this? All the ones I have seen seem to leave out some steps. I have followed stuff I have read here and other websites and have had no success. I am not a total n00b but still like to have every step down so I can see what I missed. A guide including OS install would be nice to know what X11 packages are or are not needed. And also should this be configured with the base kernel or installed after you upgrade to the latest?

As a side note, is the kernel source required for this installation? What is the best way to install it in FC3? (I used to choose it during the install in previous versions of RH\FC).

Thanks in advance!

commander129
24th April 2005, 12:18 AM
Whats your kernel version? (to test: type uname -r in your terminal)

if you have 2.6.11, then rpms from livna.org wont work (there isnt a suitable kernel-module-version available at this moment.)

A earlier kernel then 2.6.10-1.770 should work.

MaldiGola
24th April 2005, 01:58 AM
thanks, i will try with an earlier kernel ( I am using 2.6.11)

Is there a n00b-proof guide for this?

MaldiGola
25th April 2005, 04:39 AM
Well, it seems it was a kernel issue. I wiped the box and only upgraded to the 2.6.10-1.770 kernel. Installed the livinia .rpms and voilla! glxinfo reads correctly! Now to get some UT happening...

Thanks to all!

Trsto
30th April 2005, 10:57 AM
Hello , I'm using Radeon 9800 pro ,on FC3
kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC3
I've done everything as u sayd ... al worked ... when loading, says [OK] ,but still no more than 300fps , ...
done the " yum install compat-libstdc++ " thing ... nothing diffrent , any ideas ?
Does it all have to be done in some order ?

Trsto
30th April 2005, 11:07 AM
Ok nevermind I found the problem ... i had installed 3 kernels ... the really old one , 2.6.20 , and the really new one ... i guess that was the problem ... thax for this howto ;)

Gene-photog
4th May 2005, 09:34 PM
Any idea when driver for 2.6.11 will be available?

My screen locks up like it has lost sync when I boot with card installed..

rpm -q fglrx returns "package fglrx is not installed" I assume that is the problem.

Gene

Mike Chambers
7th May 2005, 10:14 AM
Hrm, I am not using ATI's drivers, only the Fedora Core drivers (of course, using FC4T2 + rawhide at this point), and this is what I get with an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro...

[root@scrappy ~]# glxgears
7521 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1504.200 FPS
25441 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5088.200 FPS
51390 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10278.000 FPS
51438 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10287.600 FPS
48834 frames in 5.0 seconds = 9766.800 FPS
51420 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10284.000 FPS
51439 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10287.800 FPS
51415 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10283.000 FPS
51619 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10323.800 FPS
51551 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10310.200 FPS

Bryan_Nelson
21st May 2005, 09:33 PM
I have been looking for the 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 version of the kernel-module-fglrx for x86_64 but i havn't found one.livna dosn't have it. does it exist?

Maelstrom65
21st May 2005, 11:00 PM
Hrm, I am not using ATI's drivers, only the Fedora Core drivers (of course, using FC4T2 + rawhide at this point), and this is what I get with an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro...

[root@scrappy ~]# glxgears
7521 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1504.200 FPS
25441 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5088.200 FPS
51390 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10278.000 FPS
51438 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10287.600 FPS
48834 frames in 5.0 seconds = 9766.800 FPS
51420 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10284.000 FPS
51439 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10287.800 FPS
51415 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10283.000 FPS
51619 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10323.800 FPS
51551 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10310.200 FPS

That FC4 has updated and working 3D acceleration for the ATI cards? I finally got acceleration enabled on my card after much hair pulling and gnashing of teeth only to discover that I lost the ability to use Monitor Spanning. I use it more than I do any game, so I reverted back to the original configuration. Here's hoping FC4 alleviates this problem.

Cheers