PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 14 KDE DVD

jcolyn
7th December 2010, 05:00 AM
Does the KDE version of the install DVD exist or is Gnome the only version?

I have the live CD..

Wayne
7th December 2010, 05:49 AM
DVD should contain both KDE and Gnome. You get to choose which (or both) to install.

marriedto51
7th December 2010, 10:26 AM
As Wayne says, you can install KDE, Gnome, or both from the Install DVD. (I've usually chosen just KDE, but the default is just Gnome, as I suspect you know).

The trick is to choose "Customize now" when you get to the Package Installation Defaults screen (see http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Installation_Guide/s1-pkgselection-x86.html).

jcolyn
7th December 2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks

I prefer the DVD over the live CD since it has more packages etc.

v8skittles
10th December 2010, 08:47 AM
Quick question, I don't mean to hijack the thread. How good is the quality of the KDE spin?

CSchwangler
10th December 2010, 09:02 AM
Depends on how you define quality, doesn't it? Fedora's policy is to leave the packages (doesn't depend much whether it is KDE or Gnome) as much as possible as they come from upstream. Thats why you, for example, get a rather default Gnome or KDE desktop without much customization, i.e. in the way the original developers intended it to be. Some people find that boring while other welcome that. I tend to belong into the second group, because chances are that you will get less problems related to distribution specific customization problems, as you sometimes get with other distributions.

Since Fedora tends to do less customization, new versions are also quicker to show up.

There are quite some KDE users here on the forum, so you should be able to get appropriate support in case of problems.

v8skittles
10th December 2010, 09:11 AM
Alright thanks, I've just heard that other distros have good KDE setups but I've only tried OpenSUSE and Kubuntu.

ozjd
10th December 2010, 01:05 PM
Best thing is to try it for yourself. You can add it to your existing system easily. Current stable version is 4.5.3 but 4.5.4 is in the kde-testing repo so should make its way into the stable one soon.

dragonbite
10th December 2010, 02:53 PM
Alright thanks, I've just heard that other distros have good KDE setups but I've only tried OpenSUSE and Kubuntu.

I'm not sure about the later versions, but for the most part I seem to be most happy with Fedora's KDE over Kubuntu or openSUSE. One caveat, though, is that I am primarily a Gnome user who has only recently been using KDE.

OpenSUSE's KDE seemed to work pretty well with getting codecs when called upon and is a pretty good implementation of KDE, plus with the OBS (openSUSE Build Service) there are a lot of applications available by one-click. My experience with openSUSE, though, is tainted because I was just learning KDE at that time and getting used to the different way of doing things.

Kubuntu seemed, to me, lacking in support. This was an older version, but I was aware that this was the "red-headed step-child" of the *buntu line. Tweaks and finishing touches that I came to expect in the Gnome Ubuntu version just weren't there in Kubuntu. Newer version may be better, though, but things like hardware drivers and network manager were a pain.

Fedora has an advantage over the other two because it has been working with my hardware (Intel Video 855) better than the other two, plus it picked up my wireless out of the box (Broadcom). I was pleasantly surprised when I ran an update and come to find out I updated from KDE 4.4 to 4.5! The only issue I have right now is with desktop effects being turned off due to another application.

One thing that you may like or not, the Fedora LiveCD comes with KOffice installed, not OpenOffice. It is trivial to isntall OpenOffice afterwards but if you know you want OO.o instead of KOffice then the DVD is your best choice.

The other thing I have found is that out of the three, the less "mainstream" applications are not easily available for the distribution like Ubuntu's PPA and openSUSE's OBS. I've tried installing WebKam, but the latest Fedora version available is 11 (or was it 12?, either way not 13, which I am running).

If I get new hardware, I may give openSUSE another spin, but otherwise I am happy with Fedora's KDE spin.

v8skittles
11th December 2010, 06:08 AM
Alright, thanks for all the information :D

boxxy
13th December 2010, 06:15 AM
hi guys, can you please be a little more details about choosing default DE from dvd installation? thanks

ozjd
13th December 2010, 06:49 AM
hi guys, can you please be a little more details about choosing default DE from dvd installation? thanks

Go back to post 3, follow the link there, it has full details.