PDA

View Full Version : Need to be Root in GUI...

jordanisawesome
27th November 2010, 05:27 PM
Hello Fedora Community,

So I need to become the root user in order to edit a grub file in a seperate partition, so I can get back into this partition. How can I become and stay as root user in the desktop environment? (I know you shouldn't do this, but I need it.)

Thanks!

AndrewSerk
27th November 2010, 05:34 PM
Instead try this:

su -
<enter root password>
nautilus
That way you can browse the file system with a GUI as root a little safer than running the desktop environment as root.

jordanisawesome
27th November 2010, 05:40 PM
hmmm, when i type in nautilus, i get this response:

(nautilus:5987): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

GLib-GIO:ERROR:gdbusconnection.c:2270:initable_init: assertion failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL)
Aborted (core dumped)

How about the dangerous way?

bonedome
27th November 2010, 05:47 PM
su -
root password
gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf

SomeDamFool
27th November 2010, 05:48 PM
Another way.
In terminal su - then type gedit. Click open file then browse to the partition/file and open it.
Mike

jordanisawesome
27th November 2010, 05:54 PM
gedit is giving me trouble too,

(gedit:6150): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

GLib-GIO:ERROR:gdbusconnection.c:2270:initable_init: assertion failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL)
Aborted (core dumped)

AndrewSerk
27th November 2010, 06:11 PM
hmmm, when i type in nautilus, i get this response:

(nautilus:5987): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

Aborted (core dumped)

How about the dangerous way?

Check out post#4 in this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=255122

Chilly Willy
27th November 2010, 08:10 PM
If you don't put the - after the SU, (that is SU space then the - ) it WILL error.

JeffCarr
10th May 2011, 07:56 PM
unsetting this enviornment variable made everything work for me

unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS

I guess this env should never be passed through sudo or su.

Maybe someone smart can explain what the *(*&* DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is anyway?

Majara
13th May 2011, 06:35 AM
íHola!

To start as root in graphical mode:

Edit as root the following files
/etc/pam.d/gdm,
/etc/pam.d/gdm-password,
/etc/pam.d/gdm-fingerprint,

and deactivate in all of them with # the line
auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet
so
#auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet

Exit of your normal session and enter as root.

Saludos

flyingfsck
13th May 2011, 09:39 AM
su -
(su dash)

As said above, it really is all you need to do. Forget the dash and it will NOT work.