PDA

View Full Version : Attempting to install destroyed my hard drive

Rasheeke
18th November 2010, 02:50 AM
I told the Fedora installer to install to one partition, there was another OS and 400 gigs of my everything, it froze my computer. After restarting and running with the Ubuntu Live disc, my partitions now come up as 200 partitions of size 352 and 73. That doesn't even make sense since that'd make my hard drive 100 TB which it isn't.

What the hell is this about and how can I recover everything?

jroa1
18th November 2010, 02:59 AM
I hope you backed up first.

What happens when you boot up with out the CD?

By the way, never, ever, ever stop your computer while it is creating a partition or formatting. You will not have a working disk, which I learned the hard way.

It may have seemed to have froozen, but it takes time to do this and I think you may have screwed your computer up by restarting. Maybe others will have better suggestions, but I would say that you need to reinstall your OSs.

Rasheeke
18th November 2010, 03:23 AM
When I boot up without the CD the motherboard doesn't seem to know what to boot and I get grub rescue

And yeah, maybe that is what happened, but I've been installing OS's on this 10gig partition all summer and it never took more than a minute, this time it was unresponsive for way too long.

I guess my only option is to install an OS ona small partition near the front of the drive and see if, with that, I can recover the other partitions, because I can't install anything when running off of the liveCD

EDIT: I've found them with testdisk, they'll be recovered soon, I'll try installing Fedora again and give it more time. I'll post back on the outcome later.

LittleOne
18th November 2010, 03:53 AM
I ran into that horrid mess a lot this year...

Try installing Ubuntu 910, along side of what's already on the hd.. then when your original OS boots-up, save your precious files to removable media.. then clean that filthy buggy hd with DBAN autonuke.. then install Fedora.... This tactic worked for me when a "Minty fresh amero-blackhat monster" was intentionally destroying my OS's...

Rasheeke
20th November 2010, 09:31 PM
I ran into that horrid mess a lot this year...

Try installing Ubuntu 910, along side of what's already on the hd.. then when your original OS boots-up, save your precious files to removable media.. then clean that filthy buggy hd with DBAN autonuke.. then install Fedora.... This tactic worked for me when a "Minty fresh amero-blackhat monster" was intentionally destroying my OS's...

Yup, this was exactly what I had to do. In installed Ubuntu 910 to the front of the hard drive then used testdisk to remake the partition tree, backed everything up to my external hard drive then just formatted the internal drive and installed fedora no problem.

My only question is, is there a problem with fedora installing on a hard drive that already has multiple partitions and OS's?

LittleOne
21st November 2010, 12:54 AM
"Yes" me thinks.. if your hd harbours a vile little buggy partition, which held on tight during all your installs...

I never take chances with that "crazy-world's partition".. I run DBAN, to be confident that those "brown-chunkies" aren't on the hd in a new install... DBAN assures me the hd truly is clean... It don't bother me that "Dban'ning" might wear out a few hd's a little faster.. If a hd poops-out, it's in the trash in a new york minute..
In goes a fresh one from this box of F-14 spare hd's...

Me thinks if your hd is loaded with clean stable OS's and peripherals, that there shouldn't be any problems doing multiple installs... But if you takes it over the limit, whatever that is.. I bets you gonna make a nightmare for yourself, and a wicked learning-experience... Are you "punching the envelop" in this..? Is this one of your, "how you has fun"..? How many OS's can you get onto one hd without it freaking and messing itself..?

AndrewSerk
21st November 2010, 01:08 AM
As far as I know there are no problems installing multiple OS's with F14. I say that without having tried it with F14 but it has always worked with the other Fedora versions. I believe you can have 15 partitions for scsi drives and now a days the new kernel allows 63 for a IDE drive.

LittleOne
21st November 2010, 01:10 AM
Why have multiple OS's on one drive..?

AndrewSerk
21st November 2010, 01:12 AM

Laptop, testbox,$$ ect.

Rasheeke
21st November 2010, 01:25 AM

One is the main one and the other partition is for testing or installing and running an OS in a jam when the original one is buggy.