PDA

View Full Version : securing Fedora (or linux for that matter)

Myke-Wazowski
17th November 2010, 07:14 PM
I'm not the greatest at security, but I try to be mindful and put a little thought and effort into securing it.

So far I've used IPTABLES with the DROP,ACCEPT flow. I started by blocking all and have added permissions based on IP addresses.

I used netstats to see what active services are listening. I disabled services I did not want running.

I've limited SSH access only to specific user logins, and I've limited those needing "sudo" permissions.

What else could I do to secure it a bit more?

William Haller
17th November 2010, 08:06 PM
I suggest you look at "Guide to the Secure Configuration of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5" by the Operating Systems Division Unix Team of the Systems and Network Analysis Center, National Security Agency. It is available for download on-line from nsa.gov.

It's a really well laid out document, most of which is equally applicable to Fedora or any other Linux environment.

Myke-Wazowski
17th November 2010, 08:39 PM
I suggest you look at "Guide to the Secure Configuration of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5" by the Operating Systems Division Unix Team of the Systems and Network Analysis Center, National Security Agency. It is available for download on-line from nsa.gov.

It's a really well laid out document, most of which is equally applicable to Fedora or any other Linux environment.

WOW! This is some great information.

Thank you.

+1 to you

:D