PDA

View Full Version : How To Use Yum to update to KDE 3.3.1

Tru
24th October 2004, 04:57 PM
Hello all, I have seen a few people wondering about this and just wanted to post how I did it last night. It was very easy and so far everything works great and LOOKS great to :D

You will need to edit your yum.conf. Just cut and paste these lines to the bottom of it.

[kde-redhat-kde-stable]
name=kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
baseurl=http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/$releasever/stable

[kde-redhat-kde-stable-all]
name=kde-redhat.org (kde-stable-all)
baseurl=http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/all/stable

Once you have updated your yum.conf then just cut and paste this command and hit enter and you will have the latest and nicest looking KDE 3.3.1

yum install kde qt arts kdelibs kdebase gtk+ gtk2 redhat-artwork

AND DO THIS UPDATE IN GNOME NOT IN KDE THEN WHEN YOUR DONE JUST REBOOT AND ENJOY. You might not have to reboot but I did just to be safe. :cool:

Also I would like to update GNOME in a similar fashion so if anyone who reads this knows what repos to add and what the exact command is for yum please let me know I want gnome 2.8

Please leave positive feedback if this helps you thank you very much.

DonL
2nd November 2004, 03:01 PM
Thanks, Tru.
I just did it and I had one small problem. It was a library (usr/share/mimelnk/application/x-javascript.desktop) that conflicted. After dumping that, it worked great. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems everything looks clearer.

Psquared
2nd November 2004, 08:41 PM
I agree. KDE 3.3.1 is a definite improvement. (I installed a different way though.)

But .... you oughta take a look at Xfce 4.2 beta 1.

Its faster than both Gnome and KDE, is just as configurable, and all the apps work. I wanted a lightweight WM/DE that starts fast and looks good. Xfce does that for me. For a beta, this thing is pretty stable. In fact, I have not had a single glitch or found a single flaw - yet. The release version comes out on or about 11/15.

elwu
9th November 2004, 10:59 PM
Hello all, I have seen a few people wondering about this and just wanted to post how I did it last night. It was very easy and so far everything works great and LOOKS great to :D [...]
yum install kde qt arts kdelibs kdebase gtk+ gtk2 redhat-artwork[...]
Please leave positive feedback if this helps you thank you very much.

Hello,

Is it also allowed to leave feedback if it doesn't help? ;)

Being an beginner, I certainly made some mistake. What I got following your instructions:

----
Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable-all)
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
redhat-menus-0-1.13-1.1.n 100% |=========================| 7.7 kB 00:00
gtk2 is installed and is the latest version.
Resolving dependencies
.........Unable to satisfy dependencies
Package kdelibs needs libgssapi_krb5.so.2, this is not available.
Package kdelibs needs libk5crypto.so.3, this is not available.
Package kdelibs needs libkrb5.so.3, this is not available.
Package kdelibs needs libxml2 >= 2.5.10, this is not available.
Package kdelibs needs libxml2.so.2, this is not available.
Package kdebase needs libxml2 >= 2.5.11, this is not available.
Package kdenetwork needs libxml2.so.2, this is not available.
---

Any idea what went wrong?

Kind regards,

elwu

Tru
10th November 2004, 03:53 AM
Looks like you need to update your yum.conf use this link and copy and paste it into gedit and name it yum.conf and then relpace the old one.

http://fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf

You must do this as root so login as root once you have replaced the old yum.conf and then add those repo's that I have posted in my first post to the end of your new one. Then you should be good to go.

Or since fedora core 3 is now out you could just download the iso's and then you would have kde 3.3 and more :)

jcstille
10th November 2004, 07:00 AM
Thanks OP good stuff