PDA

View Full Version : Fix for issue with graphics drivers from RPM Fusion (NVIDIA, fglrx, psb) available

AdamW
10th November 2010, 01:27 AM
Hey, folks. Since this has given everyone a lot of grief, I thought it deserved a news thread. Many of you have hit the problem trying to install drivers from RPM Fusion - like NVIDIA and ATI proprietary drivers, and the psb driver for Poulsbo chipsets - that they fail to work because nvidia-config-display / fglrx-config-display / psb-config-display crash when they run, with an error about xstrtoken. If this sounds familiar - or just if you tried to install a proprietary driver from Fusion and it didn't work, because this is almost certainly the problem - help is now at hand!

There's a patched version of the pyxf86config package now available which should alleviate the problem. You can get it from the updates-testing repository, and/or direct from Bodhi here (https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/pyxf86config-0.3.37-10.fc14) - click on the 'Build' link and it'll take you to this page (http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=203948) where you can get the package for i686 or x86-64. Install the patched pyxf86config, and then if you still have the Fusion driver installed, just reboot and the config step should complete this time and give you a working configuration. If you removed the Fusion driver, you can install it now and, with the fixed pyxf86config package on your system, it should work.

Thanks go to Lubomir Rintel for coming up with the fix for this bug.

glennzo
10th November 2010, 02:05 AM
Worked for me Adam. Thanks for the info.

aCROX999
10th November 2010, 02:18 PM
Neat work, thanks Adam for the info. And thanks to Lubomir Rintel for the solution.

EDIT : system-config-display and livna-config-display worked fine, but it just feel the same, as if there is no 3D acceleration.

startover
10th November 2010, 09:37 PM
this only suppresses the error message during boot up,
does not solve the slowness problem and distorted controls (buttons) in applications

this post refers to some of these issues:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=253668

gnufreex
10th November 2010, 10:07 PM
It looks like I am not only one. This doesn't fix anything for me either. Just removes error message.

skyxn3t
10th November 2010, 10:09 PM
this only suppresses the error message during boot up,
does not solve the slowness problem and distorted controls (buttons) in applications

this post refers to some of these issues:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=253668

Ive the same problem, although the Nvidia driver loads well and compiz works, I have noticed lags and "choppiness" while scrolling in web browsers, watching streaming videos in full screen, moving windows, resizing windows, etc...
I also noticed the distortion that sometimes happens in controls, buttons, etc...
There are many people here who have experienced this problem in Fedora 14 and have opened many threads on the mater but so far no solution has been given.

gadgetwiz
11th November 2010, 08:54 AM
Bummer!! :mad:

This is a show stopper for me and I'm using F12 (nVidia), which is near EOL. The absolute last thing I need is choppy video playback, considering I watch lots of hi-res DVD movies and Concert Rips on a LCD HDTV panel. I'm on the edge as it is and couldn't handle any kind of slowdown.

Combine that with Fedora's inability to correctly identify all supported resolutions via EDID on many (if not most) LCD displays and HDTVs, I'm not liking the trends I'm seeing.

I was hoping to skip F13 and move to F14. Hopefully, a resolution to this issue is forth coming or I might have to explore other distributions, which I don't really want to do.

Fedora usually comes though, so I'm somewhat optimistic. :cool:

AdamW
13th November 2010, 12:09 AM
"Combine that with Fedora's inability to correctly identify all supported resolutions via EDID on many (if not most) LCD displays and HDTVs, I'm not liking the trends I'm seeing. "

It's the graphics driver that does this. If you're running the proprietary driver then this has nothing to do with Fedora; it's NVIDIA's code doing the mode detection.

I don't know what's causing the slowness problem some people are seeing, I'm afraid. Sorry.

AdamW
13th November 2010, 12:19 AM
gadgetwiz: btw, have you tried using VDPAU for your video playback? that might avoid the problem, and it's the sensible way to do things on a system which does a lot of video anyway.

gadgetwiz
15th November 2010, 07:34 AM
It's the graphics driver that does this. If you're running the proprietary driver then this has nothing to do with Fedora; it's NVIDIA's code doing the mode detection.

I don't know what's causing the slowness problem some people are seeing, I'm afraid. Sorry.
Adam, you're right. I should have been more clear. It's not just Fedora/Linux/Generic drivers, it's the proprietary drivers as well.

I'll give you some examples..

A friend just purchased a HDTV / Monitor and using Fedora 12 with the nVidia Drivers, the only resolutions available were 1024x768 and below. There were no 16x9 ratio options, even though the monitor supports WXGA+ resolutions. So, I booted up with Fedora 14 live and there were no new options there either. I even tried manually adding resolutions to the xorg.conf but they were rejected. Perhaps a modeline that works could be determined but the point is, it shouldn't be that hard. I'm hoping the latest nVidia drivers can detect the screen when I fully install F14 on the system. I'll know soon.

Another friend has a Samsung 42" LCD TV and is using the standard Fedora 13 default drivers (ATI Card) and he has the same exact problem. He only has a very limited subset of resolutions he can choose from, even though his panel supports a wide range of resolutions.

Many times Fedora can't identify the panel and just defaults to an unknown screen0 with SVGA resolutions. I see this quite often over a range of LCD panels and video drivers. It's very hit & miss.

On a bright note..

Someone just gave me a laptop with nVidia FX5300 graphics. I loaded up Fedora 14 and only got the basic SVGA resolutions. After installing the nVidia drivers from RPMFusion, it picked up all the resolutions. So on that PC, Fedora 14 worked well with the latest nVidia drivers but not the default drivers. I don't know if it's sluggish or not, being I have nothing else to compare it to.

I guess I'll know when I update my desktop to F14 if there is any slow down with the nVidia drivers from RPMFusion. After the positive experience I had with this new laptop, I feel good about moving to F14 on the desktop. I'm going to have to wait until the 96xx drivers are packaged by RPMFusion for F14, I guess. I hope they plan on doing that.

gadgetwiz: btw, have you tried using VDPAU for your video playback? that might avoid the problem, and it's the sensible way to do things on a system which does a lot of video anyway.
No. I haven't tried that but thanks for the suggestion. Being my machine is just on the edge of being able to smoothly run HD video, I'd be happy to get smoother video playback.

Later: Noticed I'd have to buy a newer nVidia card. I'm using a MX4000 AGPx8. I'm trying to get the most out of this old AGP system as I can. I guess I'll may have to get new system board (PCI Express) with a GeForce 8 card (or better) to do VDPAU. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll know what to get when I get ready to upgrade.

On another side note: I noticed the slow down problems referenced in this thread seem to be related to the driver for the GeForce and above cards. I'm still using legacy cards and drivers so perhaps there is not an issue with the legacy drivers. I'm worried for nothing.

Just ignore everything I said and I'll start paying closer attention to what is going on. :)

AdamW
22nd November 2010, 07:46 PM
gadgetwiz: one thing with TVs: always check the manual regarding what resolutions are supported with what connectors. Many TVs don't support anything past 1024x768 with VGA cables, these days; my TV is one. To use 1920x1080 or even 1280x720, it requires you to use DVI or HDMI input. That may be your problem.

AdamW
22nd November 2010, 07:47 PM
btw, I think you can get AGP cards capable of VDPAU, they may be hard to find though. One or two manufacturers usually throw out an AGP version of one of the low-end chips in each generation just for the penny-pinching upgrade market :)

DBelton
24th November 2010, 08:21 PM
I don't know. I haven't looked at all of them, but I would have to say that you probably won't find an AGP card that supports VDPAU.

VDPAU was added to the GeForce 8 line of cards (even some of them don't support it, like some of the 8800 cards), and the last AGP cards were in the GeForce 7 line.

I guess it is possible that some manufacturer modified the nvidia base design and has an AGP card in the later lines, but I sure wouldn't count on it.

AdamW
26th November 2010, 02:24 AM
i thought I'd seen a few 8xxx AGP cards around. I may be wrong, though.

CronoCloud
26th November 2010, 02:20 PM
A friend just purchased a HDTV / Monitor and using Fedora 12 with the nVidia Drivers, the only resolutions available were 1024x768 and below. There were no 16x9 ratio options, even though the monitor supports WXGA+ resolutions.

gadgetwiz: one thing with TVs: always check the manual regarding what resolutions are supported with what connectors. Many TVs don't support anything past 1024x768 with VGA cables, these days; my TV is one. To use 1920x1080 or even 1280x720, it requires you to use DVI or HDMI input. That may be your problem.

I've got a TV that doesn't respond to EDID requests over VGA at all, it's an Element 1920B. However if you manually set modelines in xorg.conf it can support up to it's maximum resolution (1440x900) without problem. So try setting resolutions manually.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)