PDA

View Full Version : usb drive can't be deleted or reinstalled

simon2000
26th October 2010, 09:05 PM
I downloaded and installed a live usb drive to a USB flash drive.

but it did not work.

and it could not be re-installed or re -formated
any help is appreciated.

I have fedora 13, and window 7 available

simon2000

lineak
26th October 2010, 09:43 PM
Install gparted and then create a new partition table on the device.

Regards

simon2000
27th October 2010, 06:11 AM
I will try once I got home,

The solution is for fedora 13, right?

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM GMT ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM GMT ----------

device table did not have usb drive
only have /dev/sd1 for /boot
and /dev/sda2 for lvm2

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM GMT ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM GMT ----------

I got the following when I tried to format the usb drive,
Unable to open /dev sdb read-write(Read-only file system. /dev/sdb has been opened read-only
Help needed

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM GMT ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM GMT ----------

when I tried to do device/create partition table I got
Error while creating partition table

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM GMT ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM GMT ----------

I finally made the gparted find the device, of /dev/sdb, and it found the right size: 16GB. But

I got the following when I tried to format the usb drive,
Unable to open /dev sdb read-write(Read-only file system. /dev/sdb has been opened read-only
Help needed

I also tried to create partition table

when I tried to do device/create partition table I got
Error while creating partition table
Edit/Delete Message

Please help

CSchwangler
27th October 2010, 06:50 AM
Is there a write protect switch on your usb device?

simon2000
27th October 2010, 04:14 PM
thank you for help

I could not see anything other than a USB connector.
I am pretty sure the read only state was the result of installing live usb flash drive performed on the device.

lineak
27th October 2010, 04:58 PM
No, I don't think so. I've created many live usb on serveral sticks and there never came up such problems…

bonedome
31st October 2010, 06:35 PM
Hello
I had exactly the same problem I put fedora 12 on a 4Gb usb stick with the fedora hosted live usb creator, unfortunately the 700Mb of fedora 12 was the only thing that then existed on the memory stick, the 2 films and backed up files no longer existed, my ps3 reported an unrecognised usb device, windows and linux showed a 700Mb usb device that was 100% full, I'm sure some data recovery software might have been able to recover my files.

gparted also showed it as 100% full 700Mb

I formatted the usb stick with windows built in format tool, so then had a 700 Mb empty usb stick, ps3, windows and linux recognised it as such, in the end I used windows hp usb format tool http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool.shtml it was the only thing I found that saw it as 4Gb, I formatted fat32 and it's been fine since, I will never use fedora live usb creator again, which is a shame as unetbootin won't create a persistence file

smr54
31st October 2010, 06:45 PM
The USB is definitely unmounted when you do this, correct? It might be interesting to boot into single user mode and see if you can then format it.