PDA

View Full Version : Guest Additions Fedora Guest/Windows Host

pythagorean
17th October 2010, 08:06 PM
I found it frustrating to figure out how to get the guest additions installed in Virtualbox with a Windows Host and a Fedora 13 guest so I thought I might write it up in case anyone else is surfing around looking for how to get it to work. You need the guest additions to work if you want to share folders or make the guest desktop extend to the whole screen... The other way around, viz. Fedora 13 Host and Windows guest is very simple and needs no explanation.

HOW TO MOUNT A SHARED FOLDER IN VIRTUALBOX WITH A WINDOWS HOST AND FEDORA 13 GUEST

1) Install Virtualbox PUEL version in the host
2) Install Fedora 13 as a guest in the virtualbox. I use the 32 bit version as guest.
3) Update the guest Fedora 13 with yum update

Now here is where it gets tricky. Once you update the guest fedora 13 you might have gotten a PAE kernel. Find out what kernel you have installed by running in the terminal..

uname -r

This is important for step 4:

4) If you have the ordinary 686 kernel then you will need kernel-devel and gcc to be installed in the guest so that the Guest Additions can build kernel modules. If you have the PAE kernel then you will need to install kernel-PAE-devel and gcc. So either way you use the terminal to install

yum kernel-devel gcc

or

yum kernel-PAE-devel gcc

as is appropriate based on the results of uname -r

REBOOT... once the guest has restarted

5) Mount the Virtualbox Guest Additions iso in the Fedora 13 guest.
6) Open the mounted Virutalbox Guest Additions iso in a nautilus window and you will see the various .run executables. Run the correct .run executable with sh in a terminal. It will be the one that has the 386 or 686 in its name rather than the amd64 version.

It will tell you if it correctly installed or not. If not, it is because it cannot build kernel modules.

Shut the guest down and then in the Virtualbox control panel add shared folders. The only hard part is to know what to type in the guest Fedora 13 terminal to mount the shared folders.

When you add the share in the Virtualbox control panel you have to give the shared folder a name. In my case I wanted to make the XP host's desktop shared with my Fedora 13 guest. So, the shared folder from my windows host is called

Desktop

Now, in the Fedora 13 guest I opened a terminal and created a place for my shared folder to appear:

mkdir /media/xpdesktop

This means that the folder named 'xpdestop' will be created in the folder called 'media'

I then typed the following into the terminal to get the shared folder mounted:

mount -t vboxsf Desktop /media/xpdestop

Now when I look in the 'media' folder in my filesystem I have access to everything on my XP hsot's destop. The same thing can be done with any folder from the host system by changing the appropriate terms in the example given.