PDA

View Full Version : C

o-ren
21st October 2004, 03:06 AM
ok, for the past while i have been unable to install any programs because of this error constantly popping up error:no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH. i have searched high and low in order to resolve this problem without asking for help, but i surrender. i have done yum install gcc, it tells me no such file or something like that. i have tried installing various versions of GCC and C only to have FC tell me no acceptable C compiler found...

help would be gratefully accepted.

cheers

venson
21st October 2004, 03:08 AM
rpm -q gcc

What does that say? Does it return you a gcc package name? If it doesn't, you don't have gcc installed. The gcc package is available on the Fedora cd's and via yum/apt as well (read www.fedorafaq.org on how to install software in Fedora).

HTH

Chas.H
21st October 2004, 03:30 AM
While connected up to the internet open a terminal; su to root; and type:
yum install gcc
You should be good to go when it finishes (which might be a little while).

o-ren
21st October 2004, 03:35 AM
rpm -q gcc

What does that say? Does it return you a gcc package name?

it returns gcc-3.3.3-7

so it appears that i do have an acceptable C compiler. now this might be extremely newbish but do i have to install C to the $PATH as it still gives me the error while trying to install anything.

thanks for the quick replies btw.

Chas.H
21st October 2004, 03:48 AM
You could run two quick (well, semi-quick) tests.

Write two simple "Hello World" programmes, one in C one in C++.

This will set up a test for g++ and gcc.

Assuming you name your files hello.*, compile them like so:

g++ hello.cpp -o hellocpp for the C++ file and...
gcc hello.c -o helloc for the C file.

o-ren
21st October 2004, 04:43 AM
im actually not a programmer, ive only dabbled in it recently. is there any other way?

ilja
21st October 2004, 10:20 AM
im actually not a programmer, ive only dabbled in it recently. is there any other way?
Here is a collection of hello world programms : http://www2.latech.edu/~acm/HelloWorld.shtml
You'l need this http://www2.latech.edu/~acm/helloworld/c.html and http://www2.latech.edu/~acm/helloworld/c++.html this.
Copy and paste one of the examples in a the file hello.c for C and hello.cpp for C++ and do what Chas.H told you.

Chas.H
21st October 2004, 12:24 PM
Hello again,
The programmes ilja points you to will do the job and they are only slightly more complex than I had in mind.
Copy and paste makes them less complex though. ;)

We see here an example of world time zones in action. I call it a night and a kind stranger from the EU lends a hand shortly thereafter.

I'll will check from time to time as well.

tashirosgt
21st October 2004, 02:00 PM
o-ren,

It will be easier to solve a particular problem than the general situation. Can you give us an example of an installation that has produced the error? Such things usually print errors to the screen, but they also write a config.log or configure.error or some such file which has more detailed error messages in it. Can you post one of those? For example, sometimes the error on the screen says something about the compiler even though the actual error is due to missing the glibc-header package or some other package that is not exactly the compiler.

foolish
21st October 2004, 03:10 PM
Installing software doesn't require you to have a c compiler, it doesn't require you to compile anything. For installation of software in Fedora, see www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

Ug
21st October 2004, 03:15 PM
Moved to Programming.

Jman
21st October 2004, 10:10 PM
I believe you win the Shortest Subject Award. :p

Installing development tools from the Add/Remove Programs is the easy way to go if you want to compile things.

MrCottonmouth
9th September 2006, 07:01 PM
Looks like this thread is from long ago, but I needed the answer. Here is how to install the compiler:

yum install gcc-c++.i386

GallComp
10th September 2006, 12:43 AM
As you mentioned... This thread was dead years ago, and altought we apretiate your advice it is no longer useful... Closed...