PDA

View Full Version : What is spin?

JadeSync
28th September 2010, 01:07 PM
hi everyone.
i have just started to use linux. can anyone tell me what a 'spin' is? i'm using fedora 13.
thanks in advance :)

jpollard
28th September 2010, 01:27 PM
A Fedora "spin" is an alternate view of a distribution. It contains slightly different
packages, themes, and/or configuration defaults.

OneHarsh
28th September 2010, 01:33 PM
A spin is basically a live version that was developed by some enthusiastic guys for testing purposes. It isn't the real actual OS as provided by the vendor. It is customized to suit the general needs of the guy who developed it or for popularizing the power of the OS.

JadeSync
28th September 2010, 01:42 PM
thanks for info. can i create my own spin? If i can, how can i do it? do i need to be a programming genious?

jpollard
28th September 2010, 01:51 PM
Nope. There is a guide: http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Create_Your_Own_Fedora_Distribution_with_Revisor

Though some recent problems with revisor have been reported.

OneHarsh
28th September 2010, 01:55 PM
yes you can build one. and no, you don't need to be a programming genius. just check fedoraprojects.org for building one.

JadeSync
28th September 2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys. You are the first linux mentors i ever had. now that i have begun to prefer linux over windows, what in linux should i learn first?

ryptyde
28th September 2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys. You are the first linux mentors i ever had. now that i have begun to prefer linux over windows, what in linux should i learn first?

Back up all of your important data before installing to harddrive is the most important step and then jump in.

phil

JadeSync
28th September 2010, 05:28 PM
thanks man. i already backed up my entire data from windows. i have allocated a partition with 42 GB space for linux. i'm using both windows and linux (split OS). Whats next.

kurtdriver
28th September 2010, 10:31 PM
This (http://linuxcommand.org/)would be a good start.
I'd also suggest reading through the posts on the forum, even going back a couple months. Often I find myself reading a post on a topic that I don't find very interesting, and then I'm saying to myself "Hey I didn't know you could do that!". Such moments are really neat.
Learning how to find the answers and how to ask questions is half the battle.

OneHarsh
29th September 2010, 05:11 AM
the simplest way to get the hold of linux- start with it the way you would have done things in Windows. Almost every Windows feature is available on Linux + some extra feature and command. The one thing to remember in Linux is everything here is a file. Even your commands and your directories are files and are executable. So, gradually shift to terminal searching for the locations of these files and what else can you do with it. start tweaking and learn from your mistakes.
at least this is how i made my command over it.

jpollard
29th September 2010, 12:34 PM
I would suggest reading the 1973 UNIX paper - This provides the founding UNIX
style philosophy, and the approach for all UNIX like systems. This philosophy
allows you to map the entire Linux spectrum (well mostly) into a simple model.

After that, identifying specific elements gets much easier.

JadeSync
29th September 2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks everyone. Your immense support will certainly make me able to conquer linux. Long live LINUX, long live FEDORAFORUM.ORG, and long live YOU PEOPLE who made me say this!