PDA

View Full Version : How do I install GTK+ themes?

Silpheed2K
24th September 2010, 05:01 PM
I'm looking to customise my desktop further and some themes I install just dont work and then nag me for a GTK+ requirement for the theme to work.
How do I install these themes or get what is needed to make these themes work?

Dangermouse
24th September 2010, 05:21 PM
right click on desktop, then change desktop background, there you wlll find a link get more backgrounds online,
http://art.gnome.org/backgrounds/
then for themes click on the themes/icons tab etc.. download what you pick, the click install on the themes tab etc..and point it to the file etc.. you just downloaded.

not all themes work/install though

PabloTwo
24th September 2010, 05:31 PM
Well, why don't you tell us exactly what "GTK+ requirement" is being asked for? But if I have to guess, it's most likely some specific gtk-engine. There are many of them, not all directly available from Fedora. Many gtk+ themes are written to work with a particular gtk engine. Often times, you can find and download them from the same site you are getting your new gtk+ themes from, such as gnome-look.org.

On my F12 XFCE install I have:

gtk-nodoka-engine.i686
gtk-xfce-engine.i686
gtk2-engines.i686

The gtk2-engines package contains several gtk2 engines. There is no guarantee that any gtk2 engines you install from other sources other than Fedora will work or be "compatible" with your current install. Some may be old and stale and no longer kept up to date.

Silpheed2K
24th September 2010, 06:07 PM
It was nagging me for the murrine engine... installed gtk-murrine-engine and it still doesn't work for some reason...
the theme is http://alecive.deviantart.com/art/A-New-Start-June-2010-1-1-169100684

flansuse
24th September 2010, 07:24 PM
It was nagging me for the murrine engine... installed gtk-murrine-engine and it still doesn't work for some reason...
the theme is http://alecive.deviantart.com/art/A-New-Start-June-2010-1-1-169100684

Drop the extracted folder into your ~/.themes/ directory.

An example would be:

~/.themes/ANewStart

Inside here you will see two folders named gtk-2.0 and metacity-1.

For this theme, there is a .tar.gz archive within the main .zip archive. That might throw some people off.

PabloTwo
24th September 2010, 07:36 PM
I installed the gtk-murrine-engine package from the Fedora repos (comes with several murrine themes) and downloaded the A_New_Start_blah_blah_blah theme from your link.

This theme is very poorly packaged. I have at least gotten it to basically work as a gtk2 theme in XFCE. When you unzip the download package, the actual gtk2+ and metacity them components are in the ANewStart.tar.bz2 file. I untarred that into /usr/share/themes/. Do the same for the ANewStart.tgz package. Most of the directories in these tarballs have the wrong permissions level set on them and they cannot be accessed as is. You have to go through the whole /usr/share/themes/ANewStart/ directory structure and sudo chmod 0755 <dir_name>. until all the directories are showing as drwxr-xr-x. when you do a "ll" or "ls -l" on them. If you opt to install this /usr/share/themes, then you should also do sudo chown -R root:root to the /usr/share/themes/ANewStart directory.

Once you've done that, the theme will now show up in your theme selections and you can select that theme. Much of the other stuff is Conky AWN and Firefox related and might need to be located into whatever appropriate directories as needed and pointed to by whatever option would select those items..

Silpheed2K
24th September 2010, 09:46 PM
@PabloTwo
I uninstalled it from where I previously had it and put installed it in /usr/share/themes/ANewStart/
ANewStart.tgz is an a Avant Window Navigator theme, so instead of puting it there, I installed it directly in AWN and that worked out.
And I still get the same results as when I installed it in the Appearance Preferences (shown in the image below)
http://c.imagehost.org/0330/Screenshot-1.jpg
I used the following commands to chmod the directories and make the files have the approproate owners.

# chmod -R 755 '/usr/share/themes/ANewStart'
# chown -R root:root '/usr/share/themes/ANewStart'
everything shows up right when I ls -l the directory and files.

I have gtk-murrine-engine installed and even the gtk2-engines package mentioned earlier. Does anybody know what could be wrong with this? Or is this just the authors error and not mine.

PabloTwo
24th September 2010, 11:53 PM
I realized the error of installing the ANewStart.tgz file to /usr/share/themes after I posted. By the looks of your screenshot, at least your window manger theme is looking more appropriate to what the ANewStart gtk2+ theme is supposed to look like. I never managed to get my XFCE panel to adopt the colorful ANewStart panel images at all.

I looked into the gtkrc file for that theme and things just didn't look quite right to me there. I tried several edits to that file in an attempt to get tthat theme working halfway right for me. No luck. Given the poor attention to detail at packaging the theme and the fact that it just won't work would strongly suggest it's not ready for prime time yet. I deleted all traces of it from my system. If my XFCE panel would have allowed me to select an image to use as background, which it doesn't, I might have had half a chance with this one. I deemed it not worth the effort. And besides, I'm really happy with my highly customized "BlackFate" GTK2+ theme anyway. The ANewStart theme seems much more aimed at Gnome/AWN users. It's a dud on straight up XFCE.

Silpheed2K
25th September 2010, 02:46 AM
yep... beautiful concept but the actual product doesn't work.
Thanks for everything PabloTwo and your help was greatly appreciated.

flansuse
25th September 2010, 05:22 AM
yep... beautiful concept but the actual product doesn't work.
Thanks for everything PabloTwo and your help was greatly appreciated.

I have to agree with PabloTwo. I tried this on Xfce also and it ended up being more trouble than it was worth. Not sure how well it would have worked on GNOME though. Just like with your screenshot, my buttons and menus looked like Windows 2000. But like he said, it was packaged poorly and the instructions were not detailed enough to get it working properly.

Not to go off topic, but if you want to try out a sleek GTK+ engine and theme that works on GNOME and Xfce, check out the Equinox engine, the Equinox theme, and the Faenza icon pack. They go so well together! Even for themes and icon packs, check the repos before downloading from external websites!