PDA

View Full Version : yumex install on fedora13

changedtothis
23rd September 2010, 03:38 PM
hi all
just upgraded to fedora 13 and have a question on a problem with yumex install.
have some forms downloaded for fedora 10 but don't seem compatible with 13/
so now how do I get yumex installed and working on 13? don't have internet connextion at home so all installs have to be from install disk or downloads from local library.

any help here greatly appreciated. just a beginner here in linux so lots of details would be greatly appreciated...dealing with a dummy.

thanks in advance

changedtothis

glennzo
23rd September 2010, 08:47 PM
In your case I'd either grab some public wireless for a short time and do yum install yumex or I'd use PackageKit, which is already installed.

raji1
24th September 2010, 09:00 AM
don't mean to be rude, but what's the point of having yumex when there's nothing to download from

changedtothis
24th September 2010, 03:23 PM
well it is my understanding that I can set up a repo to install software off the install disk or using software I have downloaded.
don't mean to seem dumb but I am just delving into linux, very beginner learning phase.
downloaded software from interet at library <wine> and <yumex> but have been unable
to install on computer.
any help greatly appreciated.

thanks

changedtothis

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM CDT ----------

hi glennzo

you have helpled me in the past on my attempt to learn linux.
I have downloaded yumex and wine from the local library but have been unable to
successful install on computer. have read somewhere that yumex is much easier to use than yum...is this true.
I did have it working when I had fedora 9 but have upgraded to 13.

have tried rpm and yum on this. have these pgms in a folder in my home directory and working from that folder.

just did another download on yumex-4.9.9.1.fc13 <this is from memory> so how do I go about installing it?
tried on another download and used the ./configure make make install without success. got message that
configure and make not a program.

any suggestions greatly appreciated

thanks
changedtothis

changedtothis
9th December 2010, 05:02 PM
hi all
hope I am in the right thread for this, could be install problem and also software
problem possibility. if I am wrong place please accept apologies.

tried all the suggestions and so far no luck. as stated do not have internet connection at
home location so I am restricted to downloading from work or the library computers.
have repo set up for installation dvd and it is working. can do as test as suggested:
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=installdisk repolist
and I do get a listing of the repo files
can do
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=installdisk list available
and I get the very long listing from the dvd and listed as installdisk
however yumex is apparently not on install disk so I am struggling with downloads.
have downloaded about four yumex rpms and none have been successfully installed.
using the rpm function and the yum command.
in only one attempt did I get an error message and it was:
dependencies needed pexpect and python-enum which I have not been able to
find with internet searches.
so help,help,help
then suddenly
this is with fedora 13
things went screwy on a previous installation and I had to reinstall fedora about
2 weeks ago. things appeared to be going normally then I started getting weird
outputs from the ls command. ls worked fine but when I tried the -la for long
listing I got error message -l <small letter L> -l option must be followed by a
line number?????? this with some other command line responses.
so I reinstalled fedora 13 again and for several days things seemed to go fine then
problems again appeared. my usb jump drive would not automatically mount when
inserted. two external large drives would auto mount.
tried to mount the jump with a command I had always used but it failed with message
sdb1 does not exist.
command was: sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/traveldrive -t vfat -o rw,user
I also got a message about ntfs.3g should be used.
this all happened out of the blue I had made no changes in my setup since the
reinstall. so what is going on? at the ntfs.3g point message it stated something about
file systems being mounted ro <read only>???
maybe I should go back to fedora 10. at 80 maybe I am getting too old for this.

maybe I am doing something stupid...
on the yum attempt I entered
yum --disablerepo=* --disablerepo=installdisk install /home/jevans/Desktop/yumex-2.9.9-1.fc13.noarch.rpm
also tried
rpm -ivh yumex-2.9.9-1.fc13.noarch.rpm
also tried on yum command the option --nogpgcheck
because I got error message gpg key not installed for yumex

about at the point of giving up on linux

any help and suggestion appreciated

thanks
chantedtothis

glennzo
9th December 2010, 06:19 PM
The problem with having a local repository and trying to install something from it is, as you've found out, dependencies. You get a dependency error and now you need to go find the file that satisfies the dep. Then you try again and find out that there is another file that you need. It never ends. Dependency hell is what it's called.

I guess that if I had to do what you're trying to do I'd get ALL the repositories downloaded onto an external disk or to my computer. Fedora, rpmfusion, updates, etc. That will take a long time. For example, the fedora 14 repo alone contains over 17000 files. Then I'd recreate the repos at home. In the long run it would be worth the time and effort. If nothing else it would probably ease most of the dependency errors.

At home with American "high speed" cable it took about an hour to download the fedora repo (remember 17000+ files) using reposync. Then in took another 30 minutes to create the repo data with createrepo. Imagine if I wanted to do the other repositories too! :eek:

Maybe you could do something like this at a friends' house?

On a Fedora 14 box:

Available Packages
pexpect.noarch 2.3-5.fc14 fedora
python-enum.noarch 0.4.4-2.fc14 fedora
yumex.noarch 3.0.0-2.fc14 updates

glennzo
9th December 2010, 06:31 PM
hi all
hope I am in the right thread for this, could be install problem and also software
problem possibility. if I am wrong place please accept apologies.

tried all the suggestions and so far no luck. as stated do not have internet connection at
home location so I am restricted to downloading from work or the library computers.
have repo set up for installation dvd and it is working. can do as test as suggested:
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=installdisk repolist
and I do get a listing of the repo files
can do
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=installdisk list available
and I get the very long listing from the dvd and listed as installdisk
however yumex is apparently not on install disk so I am struggling with downloads.
have downloaded about four yumex rpms and none have been successfully installed.
using the rpm function and the yum command.
in only one attempt did I get an error message and it was:
dependencies needed pexpect and python-enum which I have not been able to
find with internet searches.
so help,help,help
See the following post.

then suddenly
this is with fedora 13
things went screwy on a previous installation and I had to reinstall fedora about
2 weeks ago. things appeared to be going normally then I started getting weird
outputs from the ls command. ls worked fine but when I tried the -la for long
listing I got error message -l <small letter L> -l option must be followed by a
line number?????? this with some other command line responses.
so I reinstalled fedora 13 again and for several days things seemed to go fine then
problems again appeared. my usb jump drive would not automatically mount when
inserted. I think there are threads here about automount and thumb drives / cdrom disks regarding automounting errors.

two external large drives would auto mount.
tried to mount the jump with a command I had always used but it failed with message
sdb1 does not exist.
command was: sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/traveldrive -t vfat -o rw,user
I also got a message about ntfs.3g should be used.
this all happened out of the blue I had made no changes in my setup since the
reinstall. so what is going on? at the ntfs.3g point message it stated something about
file systems being mounted ro <read only>???

Was the thumb drive improperly removed from a Windows system? If so, insert it back into a Windows system, remove it properly (after it has been mounted) and then try it in a Linux system.

maybe I should go back to fedora 10. at 80 maybe I am getting too old for this.

maybe I am doing something stupid...
on the yum attempt I entered
yum --disablerepo=* --disablerepo=installdisk install /home/jevans/Desktop/yumex-2.9.9-1.fc13.noarch.rpm
also tried
rpm -ivh yumex-2.9.9-1.fc13.noarch.rpm
also tried on yum command the option --nogpgcheck
because I got error message gpg key not installed for yumex

about at the point of giving up on linux

any help and suggestion appreciated

thanks
chantedtothis
Back at you with the dependency errors / missing files / no access to the Internet, etc. Unfortunately, it's not always that easy.

You're not really 80 ?? !! <<.../ :eek: \...>>

changedtothis
13th December 2010, 09:27 PM
yes glennzo I am really 80

11/25/31 is this too old to be screwing around with this or should I
just go somewhere is an easy chair and sit down? ha!ha!

thanks

changedtothis

changedtothis
18th December 2010, 07:48 PM
The problem with having a local repository and trying to install something from it is, as you've found out, dependencies. You get a dependency error and now you need to go find the file that satisfies the dep. Then you try again and find out that there is another file that you need. It never ends. Dependency hell is what it's called.

I guess that if I had to do what you're trying to do I'd get ALL the repositories downloaded onto an external disk or to my computer. Fedora, rpmfusion, updates, etc. That will take a long time. For example, the fedora 14 repo alone contains over 17000 files. Then I'd recreate the repos at home. In the long run it would be worth the time and effort. If nothing else it would probably ease most of the dependency errors.

At home with American "high speed" cable it took about an hour to download the fedora repo (remember 17000+ files) using reposync. Then in took another 30 minutes to create the repo data with createrepo. Imagine if I wanted to do the other repositories too! :eek:

Maybe you could do something like this at a friends' house?

On a Fedora 14 box:

Available Packages
pexpect.noarch 2.3-5.fc14 fedora
python-enum.noarch 0.4.4-2.fc14 fedora
yumex.noarch 3.0.0-2.fc14 updates

ok glennzo
I downloaded the fedora14 iso file and extracted to disc but I do not see the
above files on the disk. is there a difference in this and you said the fedora 14 box?

thanks
chantedtothis

glennzo
18th December 2010, 11:29 PM
I know nothing about extracting the files from an ISO file but you can mount the file and then copy to your hard disk. As root

mkdir /mnt/temp
mount -t iso9660 <name of iso file> /mnt/temp
Look for a folder /mnt/temp/Packages. That is where all the .rpm files are. Then

cp /mnt/temp/Packages/* <folder on hard disk>

changedtothis
9th April 2011, 05:56 PM
glennzo

thanks very much for the reply...where did you find the files you listed?
I have downloaded the 14 iso and burned to dvd and looked for these and they
are not there. also have the 13 dvd install disk and they are not on it.
have done many hours of searching the net to no avail in getting yumex installed and
working.

the ones you listed are needed deps, python-kitchen, python(abi) <what does this name
indicate?> ,python-iniparse, and a lot of rpmlib files <compressed file names, filedigest, partial
harddrivelinksets, payloadfileshaveprefix,payloadIsXz, udisk,urlgrabber, usermode.

about to give up on this

thanks

changedtothis

changedtothis
14th April 2011, 07:04 PM
hi all

have dvd burned for 9,10,11,12,13,14 and all the searching on these and the internet to
no avail. on the python (abi) file can find lots of sources but in downloading to no avail in
install.

at times a get an error messagae ./configure not available or makefile not available.
on installation I installed everything listing including the development software.
could I have a bad installation on fedora13 which I am currently running?
everything else seems to work normally however.

on the src.rpm I have tried the ./configure, makefile and make install and I can get past
the configure command, command or file not available.

thanks in advance

changedtothis

changedtothis
4th May 2011, 10:02 PM
hi gang

still unsuccessful in installing yumex on system. have upgraded to feddora14 and think
it is running normally.

have bunches of yumex rpms downloaded and also the latest and not having any
luck getting it installed.
at one point got strange error message...from memory...<somerfield group not available>?????
I have the iso of fedora on hard drive under directory fedora_core. can I use a yumex rpm which I have say on desktop using yum localinstall and disable all repos and enable
the repo pointing to my iso file in directory fedora_core mounted with -o loop /media/yumdvd and have it install the rpm from desktop and maybe look in the
fedora14iso file for dependencies?
about to give up on this, any very detailed info would be appreciated, maybe a step by
step procedure that this would be successful, just a beginner in linux.
on installation I installed everything off the installation disk fedora14 and all developement tools, a total full installation.

so any help and suggestions greatley appreciated.

have been unable to locate the following files for yumex dependencies:
python-abi
python(abi)
these are not on the fedora install disk 9,10,11,12,13,14
have them all and currently running 14

any help on sources greatly appreciated

thanks

changedtothis