PDA

View Full Version : Dell gone DOWNHILL!

ewdi
20th October 2004, 03:49 PM
I ordered a laptop yesterday, and i want to make changes to my order, i called them up, they bounce me around on the phone for more than an hour (waiting time was 1 hours and 40 munites for my first conversation to be taken so basically total of almost 3 hour on the phone)

Now, they transfered me to a rep in bangalore, no offense to any indian worker, but it's really hard to understand what the rep trying to say with a bad phone and static noise, and after talking about making changes to the order, she said "Sorry, i cant help you, you have to contact this department (the one i just got transfered from)"

I told her, that department transfer me to you, and you transfer me back there? and she said yes, so she transfered me back, and then that department said they can not make changes of component, other department is the one who handles it. and transfer me back with a case number this time.

I was on hold from 2.30 to 4.30 without anyone answering my call. that is 2 hours flat.
I give up, i hung up, emailed them, and this morning they emailed me to call a number to change the order, it's the same number i call, i've been on hold for one hours with no one picking it up.

Can you freaking believe what dell is doing? oh btw, i'm not the only one, check Dell forum on dell website , more than 1800 posts is complaining about the same thing.

They are really gone bad after out sourcing and also bad service, now i want to cancel the order, still cant get thru, if i cant get them to talk to me i will do a credit card chargeback.

sailor
20th October 2004, 03:57 PM
That is what I would do...cancel the order!
I have seen the service levels in all businesses really slip in the last few years. I am very quick to cancel anything if I am given any kind of run around.

Psquared
20th October 2004, 03:59 PM
I ordered a laptop yesterday, and i want to make changes to my order, i called them up, they bounce me around on the phone for more than an hour (waiting time was 1 hours and 40 munites for my first conversation to be taken so basically total of almost 3 hour on the phone)

Now, they transfered me to a rep in bangalore, no offense to any indian worker, but it's really hard to understand what the rep trying to say with a bad phone and static noise, and after talking about making changes to the order, she said "Sorry, i cant help you, you have to contact this department (the one i just got transfered from)"

I told her, that department transfer me to you, and you transfer me back there? and she said yes, so she transfered me back, and then that department said they can not make changes of component, other department is the one who handles it. and transfer me back with a case number this time.

I was on hold from 2.30 to 4.30 without anyone answering my call. that is 2 hours flat.
I give up, i hung up, emailed them, and this morning they emailed me to call a number to change the order, it's the same number i call, i've been on hold for one hours with no one picking it up.

Can you freaking believe what dell is doing? oh btw, i'm not the only one, check Dell forum on dell website , more than 1800 posts is complaining about the same thing.

They are really gone bad after out sourcing and also bad service, now i want to cancel the order, still cant get thru, if i cant get them to talk to me i will do a credit card chargeback.

That's really sad. Dell built their reputation on service. In their ads it looks like their call centers are in the US, but we all know that's not true. Dell is not the only one either. Telephone companies, cable companies, banks, online brokerage firms - all of them outsource. Of course, the stocks of those outsourcing companies are doing quite well.

The only computer I have ever ordered from Dell I did online and did not have to make any changes, but I've had some problems with financial services companies. That is why I have switched to a local full service brokerage firm with someone I can go meet with face to face.

ewdi
20th October 2004, 04:16 PM
still on the phone, no one picks it up yet :p

bob
20th October 2004, 04:20 PM
Ewdi, go thru your credit card company and cancel the authorization for payment. I bet that gets someone's attention.

mugs
20th October 2004, 05:33 PM
Wow, that really stinks. That is why I stopped buying computers and started building my own. Of course, laptops are a different story.

I heard a story about a business who had a Dell system go bad on the day the warranty expired. When they called, they got India, of course. Well, since they are hours ahead of the US, their computer would not let them schedule a service call since according to them, the day had changed and the warranty was up.

Ug
20th October 2004, 05:45 PM
Thats pretty shoddy customer service but I doubt so called "outsourcing" is the problem. ;) I've never had a problem with speaking to Indian call centres.

sailor
20th October 2004, 07:26 PM
Whether a company outsources its services is a big consideration for me on whether or not I will buy the product (marked dell off the list)...I urge everyone that has had a problem like ewdi to complain, complain and complain again.
Outsourcing takes advantage of folks outside our country and deprives our citizens of a fair wage.

ewdi
20th October 2004, 07:58 PM
yeah, it's really tiring talking to someone half of the world away while the company is in here :(

Dog-One
20th October 2004, 08:16 PM
Been there, done that with Dell and Gateway. My last two laptops came from M-Tech Laptops (http://www.m-techlaptops.com/). Haven't had any complaints and both machines run like tops. I saved quite a bit of money too, since I can buy them without Windows and load a fresh copy of Fedora. ;)

GreyGeek
20th October 2004, 08:26 PM
Another thing you must realize is that these 'sevice providers' must follow a script and cannot deviate from it. If your problem cannot be assoicated with the various options printed on the script then you are out of luck. That they cannot understand your dialect/slang form of English compounds the problem. Cheap help is cheap, no matter what country it comes from.

Realize also that when you support merchants who outsource the components of their business (manufacturing, inventory, accounting, payroll, support desks, etc.) you are dealing with a company that has chosen an expanding profit margin, for the benefit of a few at the top and a diminishing job market for everyone else. The argument that outsourceing benefits us because it lowers the price of goods here is bogus. What does it matter about the price of goods at Walmart if you cannot find work or can't earn enough from a minimum wage job to pay your rent, electrical, gas, clothing, food bills, auto expenses, insurance, loans, etc?

Microsoft does this to Washington state citizens when MS moved the bulk of their coding offshore and their sales offices to Reno, Nevada, where they don't pay sales taxes. Some of those coders who do work in Washington are paid with stock options and MS gets a rebate from Uncle Sam for the amount of the option when the employee cashes the option in, after the employee pays the broker fee. In effect, YOU are paying MS's coder payroll. Then Ballmer has the gall to say that citizens should be prepared to pay higher taxes "for the good of the community".

Pardon me for getting on the soap box. Rush Limbaugh was wrong about NAFTA when he promoted it and a majority of Republicans and Democracts voted it in and Clinton signed it. http://www.citizen.org/trade/nafta

sailor
20th October 2004, 08:40 PM
Well said, Greygeek!
*applause*

Psquared
20th October 2004, 08:47 PM
Ditto.
*applause* (a man after my own heart) :D

sej7278
20th October 2004, 09:57 PM
DOWNHILL? Dell have always been crap.

I bought a server from them a few years back, for a business. They couldn't even provide me with NT4 Server drivers for the supplied ethernet card, let alone RedHat drivers - they only had Win98 drivers (for a server?!)

One of my friends has had a Dell laptop kill it's HDD and had real trouble getting Dell to replace it, another had one blow up in her lap!

ewdi
20th October 2004, 10:09 PM
i called my credit card company and make a chargeback, well they lose me as customer and 29 bucks chargeback fees, i hold another 3 hours today without anyone answering.

bob
20th October 2004, 10:56 PM
Good for you! So, you still need a notebook BUT now you're not settling - think Toshiba, Sony, IBM.

DarkMasterMatt
20th October 2004, 11:20 PM
Damn companies and their outsourcing.

ewdi
20th October 2004, 11:59 PM
going back to my old fav, thinkpad T42 :Lp

DarkMasterMatt
21st October 2004, 02:30 AM
Thinkpads rock.

Infatuated_Ipod
22nd October 2004, 01:29 PM
I too have the misfortune of owning a Dell, their "legendary" customer service really sucks now a days. Whenever i have a problem, they bounce me around the phone get tons of information and then transfer me again. They are constanly transfering me into the wrong department. And why are all their employee's foreign? How in the world can you help someone when they cannot understand what you are saying.

jcstille
22nd October 2004, 04:00 PM
i called my credit card company and make a chargeback, well they lose me as customer and 29 bucks chargeback fees, i hold another 3 hours today without anyone answering.

Ouch, and I know you got a good deal on that laptop.

ewdi
22nd October 2004, 04:02 PM
even good deal still i expect to get someone answer my questions, i use email form and all i got is auto respond and no answer from them

Psquared
22nd October 2004, 04:11 PM

Good for you. :D

I am really interested in these M-Tech laptops. They are very reasonably priced for the power. My son will be going to college soon and he has been bugging me about an AlienWare laptop that costs $3400. When I compare it side-by-side with the M-Tech the only difference I see is that the AlienWare videocard has more memory, and the M-Tech is one-half the price. However, isn't 128 mb of video memory enough for just about any gaming as well as the school apps he will have to use?

Go on ewdi - buy one and let us all know. You be the guinea pig. :D

ewdi
22nd October 2004, 04:13 PM
hahahah i already order thinkpad T42, i think no laptop will be as durrable as thinkpad with the airbag and security system, all the hinges of thinkpad is made of metal instead of plastics like other laptop

Tru
22nd October 2004, 04:45 PM
You cant beat a IBM laptop, I have owned 2 of them and never had a complaint they hold up like no other with there titanium composit shell they always stay looking black and sleek. Also they have always had a very bright and crisp screen. You made the right choice the second time ;)

Oh yeah, Dell and gateway suck!!!! HP is not bad for laptops. If I didnt get a IBM I would get a HP.