PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3.6 and Fedora 12

cogaritis
20th September 2010, 04:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I am curious as to why Firefox 3.6 isn't in the Fedora 12 repositories. I've read the existing threads on this issue, but these threads were started in January/February of this year. It's been what, 8 or 9 months since those threads were created? I installed Fedora 13 at home over the weekend and realized that it uses Firefox 3.6.

I'm not trying beat a dead horse. I understand that people have priorities. I'm merely curious. :)

Thanks!

PabloTwo
20th September 2010, 04:52 PM
...why Firefox 3.6 isn't in the Fedora 12 repositories.
This is a question that really can only be answered by the Fedora Firefox package maintainer(s). The vast majority of end users of Fedora on this forum would have no way to know what the specific reasoning is by the package maintainer(s) to not push FF 3.6 to F12, but whatever it is, I'm sure it's done with considerable deliberation and based on sound reasoning.

Whatever the reason(s), it's obvious FF 3.6 isn't going to show up in F12, so for anyone who may still be waiting for that to happen, you can stop waiting. Considering the fact that F14 isn't all that far away from official release, with F12 soon afterwords to go EOL, I think it's really a moot question anyway.

For those wanting to run the latest version of FF, currently 3..6.10, in F12, there are already a hundred thousand million threads on how to do so, give or take one or two. I use F12 and FF 3.6.10 and I feel no animosity or anxiety whatsoever towards the Fedora FF packagers for not providing me with the current release in the standard Fedora repos, especially since it's so relatively easy to get the latest FF yourself either by adding the remi repo or downloading and installing the tarball file directly from Mozilla..

Hlingler
20th September 2010, 04:52 PM
I could speculate, but I'd rather just go get firefox-3.6.x from Remi Collet's repo: http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en

V

cogaritis
20th September 2010, 05:15 PM
... I feel no animosity or anxiety whatsoever towards the Fedora FF packagers for not providing me with the current release in the standard Fedora repos, especially since it's so relatively easy to get the latest FF yourself either by adding the remi repo or downloading and installing the tarball file directly from Mozilla...

I couldn't agree more.

Thanks, Pablo; V.

Edit:
This is what I did to install the latest version of Firefox:
1. Download Firefox 3.6 (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html?product=firefox-3.6.10&os=linux&lang=en-US)
2. Unzip
3. Move the contents (a folder named 'firefox') to a new directory (I used: mv firefox/ /opt/)
4. Test the new Firefox install; terminal: /opt/firefox/firefox
5. Erase previous version of Firefox: yum erase firefox
6. Create a new link to Firefox in the main menu (In order to get the System > Preferences > Main Menu control panel, you need to: yum install alacarte)