PDA

View Full Version : Who needs cable tv?

Chas.H
20th October 2004, 03:55 AM
I recently move into this apartment a little out in the country 0.6 miles past the limits of the closest cable system. I can get three local stations, NBC, ABC, & PBS. I was thinking about getting a dish, but with the NHL lockout, who needs it? I found in one of my boxes 35 tapes of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 as well as some Three stooges and Twilight Zone. When I'm not out or in here those sure beat the crap out of the writerless rubbish I see now, (apart from PBS, of course)

What are some of your favourites?

jcstille
20th October 2004, 04:07 AM
See I don't have cable tv. No need for it. Not with sports online.

Optimistic
20th October 2004, 05:21 AM
I don't really like TV, but there are a few shows that I enjoy--I just wait for the DVDs, or watch tapes that my friends make. My favorite shows include: The Simpsons, Family Guy, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Black Books (this show is great!), and Sienfeld. Oh, I also like SpongeBob.

Shadow Skill
20th October 2004, 05:57 AM
Cspan, court tv and discovery, channel and cartoon network, USA [When Dead Zone is on.]

imdeemvp
20th October 2004, 08:00 AM
i have dish mainly for sports and espn....i just love sports too much :D

Artemis
20th October 2004, 08:56 AM
I only watch programs like Charmed, Angel, Startrek and the sunday sport.

jcstille
20th October 2004, 04:54 PM
I also like Family Guy, that show is hilarious

foolish
20th October 2004, 05:18 PM
I don't watch TV, the norwegian BBC called NRK has everything they make available freely online, so I can watch the news using mplayerplug-in. If there's a show I like, and there rarely is, I get the DVDs. Waiting a week for the next episode I hate.

sailor
20th October 2004, 05:40 PM
I can't live without my HBO serials:
6 Feet Under, Sopranos, Carnivale, Deadwood
other than a few shows on G4 Tech and Discovery I don't watch all that much...

bob
20th October 2004, 06:46 PM
Well, the Screensavers used to be a reason (back in the days of Leo and Kate), but now it's just the fastest internet connection available.

Chas.H
20th October 2004, 07:20 PM
Well, the Screensavers used to be a reason (back in the days of Leo and Kate), but now it's just the fastest internet connection available.
Even if I were that 0.6 miles closer to have cable available, this system noes not offer internet. :rolleyes:

Prometheus
21st October 2004, 01:10 AM
I dont know if i could stand just 3 channels anymore. I usually watch history channel, tech tv (used to at least ,before they merged with g4) discovery channel, TLC is pretty good too, then ABC, CBS, and thats about it. If i could get those i would probably be happy. Cable internet however, i couldnt do without. SPend WAYYYYYYY too much time on the net to go back to dialup

bob
21st October 2004, 01:17 AM
BTW the main Screensavers segment tonight was on sampling TV dinners. 15 seconds of air time on AMD's 4 gig equiv processor was the TOTAL content on 'puters. That will be the last segment that I watch after a steady 6+ years.

Chas.H
21st October 2004, 03:20 AM
Holy product placement, Batman!

crackers
21st October 2004, 04:25 AM
BTW the main Screensavers segment tonight was on sampling TV dinners.
I knew G4 was gonna ruin the whole friggin' channel. Leo and Pat ROCKED! We stopped watching right at the move to LA. Looks like it was a good call...

The wife and I don't watch all that much, but it's pretty much limited to non-local channels and the infrequent pay-per-view. US "network" TV is very much a wasteland.

(If y'all haven't caught "Looney Tunes: Back In Action" and are a Warner Bros. fan, you gotta see it!)

sailor
22nd October 2004, 08:19 PM
Yeah I have to agree G4 did manage to ruin the Screensavers...the sampling TV dinners is probably the last straw for me. I like Kevin and Sarah but none of them compare to Leo or Patrick. The new co-host Alex is very irritating and a show hog...I guess its back to Computer Chronicles on PBS...:p

Prometheus
24th October 2004, 01:13 AM
lol... I like the older hour and a half shows. I always thought they were cooler, and did lots more stuff in that amount of time. Oh well, now we all have to find a new computer tv show.

So how long you think it will be until they have a Linux cable network? TuxTV anyone?

dickinsd
18th January 2005, 08:20 PM
3 channels - oh my god, I don't watch TV too much, but I could not be doing with 3 channels.

Over here in UK, I have freeview (Digital TV from the beeb) gives me a few channels, the only ones worth watching are:

BBC1
BBC2
BBC3
ITV1
ITV2
ITV3
Channel4
FIVE
ABC1
UKTVHistory

Obviously BBC News, ITV News and Sky News get a bit of air time in my house as well.

Although I don't watch TV that much, my mum and sister (yes I am a 25yo living @ home - the shame - but its cheap and easy) watch god damn TV all the time, crap like trisha and changing rooms stuff in the day time and soaps and music channels in eve grrr.

Dave