PDA

View Full Version : Src.RPM installation question

cyanid3
20th October 2004, 02:58 AM
I'll apologize ahead of time for the huge post.

I downloaded openpkg earlier today, because it was a prerequisite for a couple of other programs that I downloaded from rpmfind. I want to install port guardian, and an imap/pop3 server, both require openpkg. Now, I'm pretty new to linux, and don't know exactly what I'm doing with all of the commands. The openpkg file that I got today had the extension .src.rpm. I ran rpm -Uvh openpkg*.src.rpm, and found out later that it just extracted files to /usr/src/redhat/STATS. So I'm left with openpkg.stat and from what I've read, all that I should need to do is run rpm -b openpkg.stat, and something else should happen. When I run rpm -b, rpm says that the -b command is not recognized. I'm pretty much stuck, because the next two things that I really wanted to learn how to do require this. I have Fedora Core 2, right off of the cd, on an i686. Any help would be really appreciatied.

crackers
20th October 2004, 04:03 AM
The "build" options have been removed from the main rpm binary and put in rpmbuild. I've found it much easier to use rpmbuild directly on the src.rpm package (you might want to -e the one you installed before trying that).

cyanid3
20th October 2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks, i'll give it a try.

Jman
21st October 2004, 05:55 AM
Specifically, I believe running
rpmbuild --recompile openpkg*.src.rpm will build and install it.