PDA

View Full Version : How much Data do you have?

Optimistic
19th October 2004, 04:28 AM
Hey all,

Just out of curiosity, how much Data do you have on your main system(s). I don't mean hard drive space, but raw data.

Me personally, I've got 200GB of space with about 115GB of that used. I think that I'll have to add a bigger drive soon.

sailor
19th October 2004, 04:55 AM
On my system I really don't know how much would actually be considered data. I have over 200 CDRs filled with pictures, linux distros, games,books, music,software...etc
I am a pack rat when it comes to software.

imdeemvp
19th October 2004, 06:18 AM
what do you have??? are you running a sever of some source?? i have 2 120gb drives and i probably have 30-40gb of free space...

Varkk
19th October 2004, 08:58 AM
Hmmm...Well I have a shelf full of CDRs with the research data for my thesis. I also have a mostly full 80gb drive at home, a full 40gb drive in a usb caddy, also my laptops 60gb drive is usually always near full. I also have several CD folders full of CDRs and now DVDRs.

Ug
19th October 2004, 12:22 PM
Data? Me? ROFL.

pigpen
19th October 2004, 01:27 PM
Since a headcrash on my IBM hd, there are only about 50 GB data left.
Right now, I'm setting up a Redhat 8.0 box to back up data from my Win XP desktop
via cygwin & rsync. I don't want to lose my mp3 collection ever again!

jcstille
19th October 2004, 04:35 PM
I have probl 70gb on my drive right now, with a ton of cd-r's. About 7gb of source for various projects.

Shadow Skill
19th October 2004, 05:06 PM
Well I have well over 250 on my desktop alone if I count my two OS's (Fedora 3 test 2..probably equivalent to test 3 after this major update a few days ago, took 4 hours to finish thanks to yum hangining :mad: ) and then my dump drive [over half of which is video.) Then a modest mp3 collection...If I were to count my dvd r's then it might push the 400 mark.

Prometheus
19th October 2004, 05:51 PM
You dont even want to know. I probably have over 20 gigs in linux distros. Thats not counting all the knoppix and live cd linux distros i gave out to my friends who want to try linux. And now that im starting to play games off the iso files i made instead of the cd's, the amount of data is gonna skyrocket. Dear lord, and we though we would never use up those 200 gb drives when they came out.

Terabite drives, HERE WE COME!

Optimistic
19th October 2004, 07:30 PM
You dont even want to know. I probably have over 20 gigs in linux distros. Thats not counting all the knoppix and live cd linux distros i gave out to my friends who want to try linux. And now that im starting to play games off the iso files i made instead of the cd's, the amount of data is gonna skyrocket. Dear lord, and we though we would never use up those 200 gb drives when they came out.

Terabite drives, HERE WE COME!

Yes, I know what you mean. Can you imagine what a poll like this would have looked like 5 years ago? What about 10?

In my original post I was just including hard drive space used, I forgot to add in the 15GB on my MP3 player, and the countless CDRs filled with Distros, movies, pics, and what not.

So, when will these terabite drives be affordable? :)

PeTzZz
19th October 2004, 07:57 PM
120gb hard drive. Used space:
<80gb = windows + fedora1 + 40gb mp3s (drum and bass mixes takes much space :p) + xx gb various data

120gb is enough for me at the moment, but another 120gb wouldn't be bad.

imdeemvp
19th October 2004, 09:14 PM
I probably have over 20 gigs in linux distros
same distros just different versions.......and about mp3 storage i stopped downloading mp3 since they were going after people and getting them busted.

Shadow Skill
19th October 2004, 11:41 PM
LOL Mvp is afraid of the RIAA ;)

Jman
20th October 2004, 02:23 AM
On a dual boot system I'm using about 56 GB for Windows and Fedora.

This includes a whole lot of crap I downloaded and 8 GB of legal mp3s, but not other stuff I have on CDs.

2.3 GB of it is my /var/log/messages log file (11 million lines). I should restart syslogd one of these days.

Zirus1701
20th October 2004, 02:37 AM
I keep a lot of my data on a shared folder on another computer on my network. One drive has about 12 GBs of data on it, and the other one has about 20GBs. I do keep quite a bit on CDs though.

Thats the reason I need to connect to my windows shares so badly. I have over 25GBs of info I can't get to with linux :(..

carlwill
20th October 2004, 05:23 AM
Data? You mean Por..uh, yeah..."D-A-T-A" :cool:

crackers
21st October 2004, 04:09 AM
I and the wife are kind of anamolous - we both started computing back in the days when there was no way in hell you were gonna fill up a 10Mb drive and we developed rather frugal data habits. Plus we don't have a lot of pictures, or MP3s, or even pr0n.

Even more interestingly, I've found myself just deleting something like an new RPM I just installed. There's no reason to hang on to it - if I need it again, I'll just download again. Broadband and the ubiquitous web has definitely changed some of our habits!

Dog-One
27th October 2004, 04:49 AM
I have used a fair chunk of my disk space simply due to not wanting merge versions. I used to have my Samba server setup as PDC for my Windows machines so that I could use Roaming Profiles. After crashes, reinstalls, network issues and what not, I probably have six or more complete profiles laying around for myself, my wife and past employment. I did manage to merge a couple of them a while back, but it takes hours to do.

Okay for kicks how many of you all have backups of all your stuff?

crackers
27th October 2004, 05:44 AM
Me! I just updated the audio backup this last weekend and I backup the "most important" data every night (not a lot of turnover, as noted above).