PDA

View Full Version : cannot write on ntfs partitions

mwg
17th October 2004, 12:40 PM
i have problems writing on ntfs partitions on Fedora Core 2. here is the content of /etc/fstab file ( i only pasted the lines that refer to ntfs partitions):

/dev/hda2 /mnt/win_c ntfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda4 /mnt/win_d ntfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_e ntfs defaults 0 0

here is the result of the 'mount' command (again, i pasted only the lines that refer to ntfs partitions):

[root@gicanu /]# mount

/dev/hda2 on /mnt/win_c type ntfs (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /mnt/win_e type ntfs (rw)
/dev/hda4 on /mnt/win_d type ntfs (rw)

as you can see i have read and write permissions, yet when i try to write on them i get "Permission denied" error. Here is an example:

[root@gicanu /]# mv /tmp/somefile /mnt/win_d/Temp/
mv: cannot create regular file `/mnt/win_d/Temp/somefile': Permission denied

i have recompiled two kernels (v2.6.5 and v2.6.8) with the ntfs support options and got the same result.

please help!

taylor65
17th October 2004, 02:41 PM
Here's my fstab for a vfat partition:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win2k vfat auto,user,rw
If you add the auto,user,rw that should allow you to do writes to the partition.

SuperNu
17th October 2004, 03:25 PM
Writing to NTFS is a very bad idea. Writing to NTFS can and most likely will damage data on the NTFS partition beyond repair. If you need to share data between Windows NT/2000/XP, you should create a fat32 partition so both Linux and Windows can write data safely.

--SN

imdeemvp
17th October 2004, 08:05 PM
supernu is correct never write to ntfs is not safe.....but if you want to transfer from linux data when you are using window use this little app: http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm this is how i do it :D

pigpen
17th October 2004, 10:18 PM
If you want to write to NTFS partitions use captive (http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/).
Here's a German howto for FC2: http://www.manpage.ch/fedora/ntfs_captive.php.
Google for Howtos in your language. Cheers.

mustangfanatic
18th October 2004, 03:27 AM
I'm with the other guys man, don't write to ntfs or it might not be accesible in windows. That stuff is still experimental. Do what I did, just make a fat32 partition. That'll make every OS happy. THink of it like one huge flash drive :)

Shadow Skill
18th October 2004, 04:04 AM
Hehehe good thing I have an Ipod I can just put the files there and then take them off when I get into windows when I transfer it to my second hard drive.

mwg
18th October 2004, 06:50 AM
ok guys, thanks for answering my question

in reply to tylor65: i've tried that, doesn't work. same problem: "Permission denied"

i see a lot of you advice me to use a fat32 partition. the problem is that fat32 partitions cannot hold big files like a 4.7G dvd image. and i need that.

in reply to imdeemvp and pigpen: i''ll try that. i'll be back with the results. by the way, there is also a plugin for total commander that sees etx2 partitions. but it can only read them.

i reply to Shadow Skill: i don't know what lpod is. please explain.

thanks for the help.

imdeemvp
18th October 2004, 06:58 AM
mwg,

this is an Ipod http://www.apple.com/ipod/

Optimistic
18th October 2004, 03:28 PM
i see a lot of you advice me to use a fat32 partition. the problem is that fat32 partitions cannot hold big files like a 4.7G dvd image. and i need that.

For those really big files you could just rar it into a few smaller files so you don't run into the file size limit on FAT32 partitions. There are rar apps for both Linux (rar) and Windows (Winrar, for example). Then, if you really had to move and edit the file just put it on the main partition of the OS (ext or ntfs).

I admit that it is not a pretty solution, but considering the security risks, it might be worth it. After all, how often do you [i]really[/i need a file that big accessible to both OSs with read/write abilities?

mustangfanatic
19th October 2004, 07:05 AM
i reply to Shadow Skill: i don't know what lpod is. please explain.

thanks for the help.

LOL! That is funny.. :D

imdeemvp
19th October 2004, 07:13 AM
hey, he/she may be from other parts of the planet where the ipod is rare.....

KRAZYBASTID
24th October 2006, 05:09 PM
If you fudged somethings with the boot on NTFS then I think you need to have write capability to NTFS. But BE CAREFUL! If you experence security issues with another user logging in to your system then they can access that program and really do a number on your precious Windows. I need write capability because I copied the NTLDR twice to C: and renamed the bad one BLA now when I try to boot XP it keeps restarting the computer. any other problems after that I will go from there.

KRAZYBASTID
25th October 2006, 04:45 AM
Here's my fstab for a vfat partition:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win2k vfat auto,user,rw
If you add the auto,user,rw that should allow you to do writes to the partition.

I hope this works! :)