PDA

View Full Version : Is The Hacker Culture Undesired?

superbnerd
15th October 2004, 03:14 PM
The hacker culture is large and varied. The writing style is no exception. Why, then, do so many discourage the hacker writing style(s)? To understand why we must first understand the culture.

Hacker writing consist of esoteric jargon to an extreme. It goes as far as to use symbols unintelligible to outsiders. Most of the symbols are a result from programing. (Arguably) Not all hackers program, however; Those that don't program usually have a different style than the programmers. This is because they are used to different programs and the way the handle markup. The programmers might refer to things as if they were Perl style variables. The non-programmers usually use the IRC style while more modern ones use the XML style tags.

In addition to the style, misspelling is common usually because of improper typing habits. The misspelling go as far as using numbers instead of letters (when possible).

Some may dislike hacker writing style because it is mostly intentional now where as before it was a result of the culture.

Another controversial area of hacker culture is the law. Most true hackers claim the hackers have skills and use them to build while those that destroy are crackers. This is not entirely true because you can still be a hacker and destroy. These individuals are referred to as black hat hackers. In contrast the “good” hackers are called white hat hackers. They both have skills, but they use them in different ways. But are they really different if you look at their motivation. The white hats usually believe in and abide by the laws of the land while black hats don't believe in the laws of the land because they exist on the Internet. The Internet is not bound to the laws of a particular nation or state. It is an international, soon to be interglobal, network built to share information. Black hats may use the same reasoning when they “hack” into a business and “pirate” the media. They simple believe it should be free and decide to free it. Without any universal laws, at least not in the hackers mind, it is not seen as a bad thing despite the negative connotation it brings to the word.

Sadly, the hacker culture of old is discouraged by the so called hackers of today. Traditional hackers (mostly phreakers) believed as the black hats do, all information should be free, but the modern hackers seem to believe as the Wiccans do, “An ye harm none, do what ye will.” This is usually their attempt to distance themselves from legal conflict, but it is a compromise. True hackers are outlaws by default because they don't believe in the laws of the land. For hackers exists in a world of their own. One not governed by bricks and laws, but by electrons and knowledge.

ghaefb
15th October 2004, 04:06 PM
Well written.
So "Is The Hacker Culture Undesired?" is not really your question here.. is it.

A good start point for all you yung "hackers" out there is this guy -> Eric S. Raymond (http://www.catb.org/~esr/)
Check out the "How to become a hacker" -> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

Ps: I'm trying to be so called white hat hacker in my free time.
My favourite site -> neworder (http://www.neworder.box.sk) :)

Shadow Skill
15th October 2004, 04:19 PM
Its not the hacker culture that is undesired if anything it is the elitist culture that permeates it and by extention the Linux world. Those that believe in absolute freedom of information are in the sane boat as other intelectuals who do not want to see a "brain trust" run the whole of human society and are constantly fighting for the truth of events to come out into the open. However the conditioning present in our hierarchial society leads to staunch resistance even when in the common person's best interests.

Ug
15th October 2004, 04:43 PM
The classic writing style irritates me. It comes across to me as rather childish, and its not always clear whats going on with it. But then I never really got the whole "hacker" thing.

Oh and kiddies please no "l337" speak it breaks the forum guidelines :p :) .

Shadow Skill
15th October 2004, 05:21 PM
:( w3 can't use our w0nd3rfu1 1337 waaaaaaa :D

jcstille
15th October 2004, 06:52 PM
See I don't mind the classic hacker culture, but the whole script kiddie thing, they need to get a life.

ghaefb
16th October 2004, 12:14 PM
See I don't mind the classic hacker culture, but the whole script kiddie thing, they need to get a life.
Agree... get a life :D

crackers
16th October 2004, 05:09 PM
I think they just need a good thrashing out behind the woodpile... :mad:

sailor
16th October 2004, 07:09 PM
Most true hackers claim the hackers have skills and use them to build while those that destroy are crackers.
I don't think it is controversial area, it was true to a certain extent back in the early days.
Hackers used to be the good guys and Crackers the bad guys.
Now most folks believe they are the same ...after all, the label of Hacker, Cracker or whatever is a self claimed title. It is perception that determines what people think you are and if the majority think that Hackers are "bad" they will be.
I blame it on the "script kiddies" that are now so prevalent on the Net, the "leets" are no different just brats trying to do damage for their own pleasure. It is kind of like a gang mentality.

AlexFR
11th April 2006, 09:38 PM
almost everyone is working in one way or the other to elevate themselves above others

tomcat
11th April 2006, 11:47 PM
I think they just need a good thrashing out behind the woodpile... :mad:
Muahahaha...! Well said. :D

sailor
12th April 2006, 01:17 AM
You all know that the last post on this was in October of last year...:p

Scytale
12th April 2006, 01:43 AM
Where I work in the engineering world we call a hack something that you throw together quickly to solve a problem. It might look ugly but it does the job.

By extension that’s what I think off when people talk about computer hackers, people who can 'hack' together a quick and dirty solution for a problem. The code may be messy and it may not be 100% stable but it does the job.

It's pretty standard practice around here that the engineers 'prototype the models' (i.e hack something together) and the programmers finish them. I like it a lot better in the computer world then on the plant, when you come up with a hack on the plant you have to implement a real solution as soon as you know your hack worked...

Coolerthanyou
12th April 2006, 07:38 AM
I thought hacker meant someone who could code quickly on their feet. Script kiddies definitely suck though, they just go around using some cracker's tools thinking they're not just wasting time 'researching' hokey tricks and burning their peabrains for hours to set up piddly pranks they hardly ever witness. They should do crank calls instead, much more fun. About the culture thing though, I think any part of a given culture is going to have a part that sucks and is undesired by everyone else. From within it's obviously not going to be undesired, but the opposite instead.

tomcat
12th April 2006, 10:09 AM
You all know that the last post on this was in October of last year...:p
So what? ;)