PDA

View Full Version : Swing missing

BrandonD
12th July 2010, 03:56 PM
Hi,
I am trying to install a Java application on Fedora 13. When I try to run the installer, I get this message:

Preparing wizard...
Starting the wizard...

Error: You need Swing 1.1 or 1.2 in your classpath to run this program.

Unable to start the install wizard.
Is there a "java" command in the path that doesn't start the JRE?
If there is, remove it and try the installer again.

I have java-1.6.0-openjdk installed along with swingx (the closest I could find in the repo). I've also tried separately installing both the JDK and JRE from sun's website with the same message. I cannot find any documentation on how to install this or add it to my classpath.

I searched my files and found swingx.jar in /usr/share/java and tried making a link from that to swing.jar in the same directory but that didn't help either. I've installed this on my other machine running Fedora 12 but I don't have access to it right now to see what packages are installed on it.

SiliconSlick
12th July 2010, 06:17 PM
What does:

echo $CLASSPATH

return?

SS

BrandonD
12th July 2010, 06:53 PM
$ echo $CLASSPATH

$

I found swingx.jar in /usr/share/java so I set CLASSPATH to that directory but still no change.

EDIT: I should also mention that Sun's website detects the java browser plugin but recommends upgrading from 1.6.0.18 to 1.6.0.20. However, java applets from websites do not seem to load either. Firefox is using IcedTea6 1.8 and it is enabled.

SiliconSlick
12th July 2010, 07:23 PM
How did you set CLASSPATH (i.e. did you export it)???

SS

Dangermouse
12th July 2010, 07:28 PM
do have the plugin installed

su
yum -y install java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin

BrandonD
12th July 2010, 09:30 PM
Yes, I used export and yes, I also have java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin installed.

I was messing with this earlier and I tried installing bother the openjdk from the repos and the JRE and JDK from sun's website. I'm pretty sure I removed everything that I added and now only have openjdk and openjdk-plugin but I may have removed something I shouldn't have.

I'm now on the computer that it works on and the only swing.jar file is ant-swing.jar so I will try installing ant-swing on the other machine if it is not already installed.

Other than that, any other ideas?