PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to get involved

thef0x82
14th October 2004, 04:58 AM
Just what the topic says...

I'm a computer science student, and I'd like to get involved in some open source project. I don't really care what the project is at this point, I'm just looking to get my feet wet. I've got experience with C++, and I'm currently taking a course on C so I'd prefer to code in either of those languages. As far as coding skill goes, I'm good enough to work for the university as a tutor for the freshmen level programming courses.

While I've got the experience with a bunch of programs that were assignments from class, I don't have much experience programming something that is actually useful, which is why I'm posting this. So, if anyone is working on a project and would like to take on someone to help a little, but still has got some learning to do, please PM me.

If it makes a difference to anyone, the school I'm studying at is the University of Nebraska at Omaha, Peter Kiewit Institute of IS&T and Engineering.

ewdi
14th October 2004, 05:03 AM
well, you can help on my Fedora Live CD/DVD project if you are intrested

jcstille
14th October 2004, 05:36 AM
Just what the topic says...

I'm a computer science student, and I'd like to get involved in some open source project. I don't really care what the project is at this point, I'm just looking to get my feet wet. I've got experience with C++, and I'm currently taking a course on C so I'd prefer to code in either of those languages. As far as coding skill goes, I'm good enough to work for the university as a tutor for the freshmen level programming courses.

While I've got the experience with a bunch of programs that were assignments from class, I don't have much experience programming something that is actually useful, which is why I'm posting this. So, if anyone is working on a project and would like to take on someone to help a little, but still has got some learning to do, please PM me.

If it makes a difference to anyone, the school I'm studying at is the University of Nebraska at Omaha, Peter Kiewit Institute of IS&T and Engineering.

Good first step. This is how I did it. Posted something like this, then fell under the wing of Ewdi. Wow that was a long time ago. I think 5 years. Good to see other people coming out like this though.

superbnerd
14th October 2004, 06:26 AM
Does your live cd require programing help, or is most of the work packaging? I am sure you know about this live cd for linux distros (http://www.linux-live.org/).

As far as helping a FOSS project, there is a plethora of position from programing to testing to writing documentation. I am sorda in the same position. I figure I started by troubleshooting here in this forum. Now i'm testing and hunting bugs. Then I will either join a repo packager or start another one. Later I will dive into the coding once I understand the system enough. At that point I will have chosen a specific package to develop.

I must say, the community is glad to have your assistance.

foolish
14th October 2004, 09:19 AM
If you'd like to get involved in creating graphical things for gnome, see the gnome "getting involved" site: http://developer.gnome.org/documents/joining-gnome/index.html

There's a wonderful project called gnome-love which will help you start as a gnome developer. From the describtion of gnome-love-day which was held in March:

GNOME love day is a project to try to get developers become GNOME hackers. There are lot of developers around who want to get involved into GNOME development but they don't know how to do it. The idea of GNOME love day is to get these developers joining #gnome-love on irc.gnome.org as well as some current GNOME hackers, all together.

Hackers should propose these developers an easy-fix to any of the modules they know well, and should guide them on fixing it. Of course, for a hacker, looking for an easy-fix (maybe a bugzilla bug), figuring how to fix it and explaining another one how to do it will be a bit longer than just fixing it himself, but the point here is to teach. After some time and luck, we will get these people fixing things and doing real GNOME hacking.

Also hackers will become mentors/trainers of new developers, answering them on IRC, email, and gnome-love list.

Here's the gnome-love mailinglist: http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-love

There are a lot of projects out there that need more developers. I think the it's important to join an existing project instead of creating your own, one man projects tend to die quickly. Fixing bugs will make you very popular.

Jman
15th October 2004, 01:27 AM
What programs do you like? Choose something you enjoy yet could use some improvement. Then get involved in the developer discussion. Pick one tiny part to work on to not overwhelm yourself. One thing at a time.

If you don't have any ideas browse C++ programs at SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/) for something that interests you. Nearly every project needs developers.

I'm about at your level too. I admire your willingness to help.

jcstille
15th October 2004, 03:59 AM
And SourceForge project help wanted is a good place

zjimward
19th October 2004, 05:35 PM
I've sent of interest messages to Sourceforge and Savannah projects, but never get any responses back. The non-reponsiveness could be the reason that some see getting to be part of an open source project as a big click, but I figure they are just to busy to respond. Either that or they have had a lot of people claim to want to help, but are just yanking their chains. Hang in there and some one will get the idea that you are really interested.

PeTzZz
19th October 2004, 07:47 PM
Thank you for the information, foolish. I would really like to create graphical things. So it would be one possibility in the future. But I think my time comes after some years. At the moment I am too new to linux and after all I don't have very much free time in my hands. But threads like this excites me.

Good luck, thef0x82!
:)