PDA

View Full Version : fedora 13 freezes often at boot up

paulga
3rd July 2010, 03:20 AM
I have fedora 13 64 bit installed on my desktop. I have i3-530, 2G ram, wd 500g sata, ide samsumg dvd-rw, asus h55 mb, geforce 9600 low profile.
problem is f13 often almost always freezes at boot up..i.e., after grub, that blue heart hangs on there waiting to be filled up.. but wait forever.
what might be the problem? :(

GoinEasy9
3rd July 2010, 04:07 AM
Try hitting "ESC" during boot, watch the boot scroll, and try to identify where during boot it is hanging.

thesun
27th July 2010, 01:32 PM
This sounds exactly like what's happening to me on my F13_64 system. Dell 8100 XPS, 8GB ram, Seagate hard drive, nvidia GTS240.

It was working fine though, though with a lot of X crashes, for about a month. Now it is dooooooog slow on boot, seems to hang at random times. I am getting an error now (after hitting Esc):

end_request: I/O error, dev sr1, sector 64
Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 8

And similar messages for sdf and sr1 in other sectors and blocks.

What confuses me is that this lengthy boot was happening as well even before getting to grub. Booting into Windows took less time (but still dragged and dragged, but of course that's normal for Windows). But here...yeeeeeeeeesh. It's been over an hour and I'm still not at a login screen.

Anyone know what these errors indicate? Also, prior to this list of errors, I have something like "udevd[172]: worker [444, 474, 443, etc] failed while handling '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1....." (long list of numbers here...)/block/sr1...

And...whoa...holy moly...the end_requests have stopped and now I'm in the "Press 'I' to enter interactive setup" section. After almost an hour and a half.

(And "Starting udev" now also seems to have hung...)

Any and all help would be fantastic. For some reason I've had no end of trouble with this particular install. Lots of hardware issues...but since it was working fairly well for a month I'm confused as to why this boot issue would rear its ugly head _now_.

jpollard
27th July 2010, 02:15 PM
Have you tried running memtest?

some of your description sounds like what can happen when memory starts failing.

paulga
27th July 2010, 09:12 PM
This sounds exactly like what's happening to me on my F13_64 system. Dell 8100 XPS, 8GB ram, Seagate hard drive, nvidia GTS240.

It was working fine though, though with a lot of X crashes, for about a month. Now it is dooooooog slow on boot, seems to hang at random times. I am getting an error now (after hitting Esc):

end_request: I/O error, dev sr1, sector 64
Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 8

And similar messages for sdf and sr1 in other sectors and blocks.

What confuses me is that this lengthy boot was happening as well even before getting to grub. Booting into Windows took less time (but still dragged and dragged, but of course that's normal for Windows). But here...yeeeeeeeeesh. It's been over an hour and I'm still not at a login screen.

Anyone know what these errors indicate? Also, prior to this list of errors, I have something like "udevd[172]: worker [444, 474, 443, etc] failed while handling '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1....." (long list of numbers here...)/block/sr1...

And...whoa...holy moly...the end_requests have stopped and now I'm in the "Press 'I' to enter interactive setup" section. After almost an hour and a half.

(And "Starting udev" now also seems to have hung...)

Any and all help would be fantastic. For some reason I've had no end of trouble with this particular install. Lots of hardware issues...but since it was working fairly well for a month I'm confused as to why this boot issue would rear its ugly head _now_.

Two weeks ago I solved my case by truncating some stuff in the grub/menu.lst .. fedora13 64bit's looks different from fedora12 32bit's menu.lst.
I forgot the details, but you might try some times... sorry I forgot to post back in time. anyway, everyone has a different environment.

thesun
31st July 2010, 05:05 AM
@jpollard: Where is Memtest? I don't seem to have it installed.

@paulga: Which lines did you truncate? "Some stuff" is just a little too imprecise for me to feel comfortable trying to replicate your solution! :-)

GoinEasy9
31st July 2010, 05:41 AM
yum install memtest86+

I'd be careful truncating any lines in grub, and I certainly wouldn't do it in menu.lst, this isn't Debian. If you want to make changes to grub, do it in /boot/grub/grub.conf

giulix
31st July 2010, 06:21 AM
I'd be careful truncating any lines in grub, and I certainly wouldn't do it in menu.lst

menu.lst is just a symlink to grub.conf. That said, I have to totally agree with GoingEasy: Arbitrarily chopping lines from vital system configuration files is never the best approach ;)

jpollard
31st July 2010, 12:50 PM
memtest is on the recovery disk as a boot option. It is designed to extensively test
physical memory - the only OS is memtest because to do its' work it must bypass
memory management.

7hound
6th August 2010, 12:02 PM
is it the blue screen with the icon in the center that should be filled up with white when you installed it after reboot?

if it is. it also happen to me.

try this:

before you install hit the TAB, this will bring in a command prompt under.
just add nomodeset to whatever it is written in there, then continue on how you install it.

i read about this and they say it is an video card issue. i think its with ATI.
i use ati HD 3200 .

hope it helps you. :)

rclark
6th August 2010, 05:27 PM
FYI, I've had this type of problem with a hard disk that was going south. Slow boot, very slow login.... You'd think the machine was a dog.... Anyway replaced the HD and zoom, bang. System just flew..... Anyway just something that happened to me.