PDA

View Full Version : KVM/libvirtd lockup back in Fedora 13

BrianMicek
1st July 2010, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure if this helps and I'm not sure how to tell anyone what I found, but was a problem in Fedora 10 and 11 were VM's running in KVM would lockup due to (disk or network) IO activity. The problem silently vanished as soon as I installed Fedora 12 as my VM. I upgraded my VM to Fedora 13 and the problem re-surfaced. Oddly, no other distributions seem to have this problem any more judging from Google.

My configuration:
Host = x86_64, 4 cores, Fedora 11
VM = i686, 2 virtual cores, Fedora 10, 11, or 13 (Fedora 12 works)

What worked for me was using only one core in my VM. Things have been stable for a few days now. Unfortunately, the only science to the discovery was trying all possible combinations.

gid99
2nd July 2010, 12:08 AM
I'm not sure if this helps and I'm not sure how to tell anyone what I found, but was a problem in Fedora 10 and 11 were VM's running in KVM would lockup due to (disk or network) IO activity. The problem silently vanished as soon as I installed Fedora 12 as my VM. I upgraded my VM to Fedora 13 and the problem re-surfaced. Oddly, no other distributions seem to have this problem any more judging from Google.

My configuration:
Host = x86_64, 4 cores, Fedora 11
VM = i686, 2 virtual cores, Fedora 10, 11, or 13 (Fedora 12 works)

What worked for me was using only one core in my VM. Things have been stable for a few days now. Unfortunately, the only science to the discovery was trying all possible combinations.

I've been using F12, F13 with KVM and run multiple guest OS systems... However, I've segregated my vm storage pool to a separate drive away from my host OS disk.

My system performance was horrid when I accidentally took the default location for a guest KVM system, but when I moved it to my second hard drive, all was well.

Try running "top" (via command line) before invoking KVM, then run KVM systems and note the differences.

Post back here