PDA

View Full Version : How easy is it to create your own spin?

DokterW
22nd June 2010, 02:06 AM
I have had a cold for over a week now and I am getting bored with it; so I have been playing around with different distros in VirtualBox.

As I tend to constantly fall back on Fedora I thought, 'hey, why not make your own spin?' Problem is, I have never used Revisor, nor do I have any coding skills.

So my questions are pretty simple and straightforward.

1. Do you need any coding skills to create your own simple spin?

2. Can you just create a simple LiveCD spin by picking the software your want; kind of like pointing and clicking?

3. Can you add simple settings improvements?
Example: If I want to make a spin using GNOME, can I configure it with one panel that has the things I want in it?

Sorry if I am a bit unclear, but I blame the cold for that. *atchoo*

Any way, thanks in advance. :)

Dies
22nd June 2010, 07:26 AM
Just my personal opinion but Revisor is pretty sorry, I suggest you use livecd-tools directly.

To answer your questions.

1.) No. But of course it helps, and you should at a minimum understand basic shell commands.

2.) If you use Revisor, and it actually works for you, then yes you can point and click.

3.) Yes, of course, as long as you have some basic coding skills or are prepared to do a lot reading.

The answer to your actual question is that it's pretty easy, thanks to the work Fedora has put into it.

DokterW
22nd June 2010, 07:45 AM
Thanks!

Been clicking around Revisor and it seems okay for what I want, but it also seems a bit lacking.

Think I'll sit down and do some reading when this bloody cold is gone.

Dangermouse
22nd June 2010, 08:15 AM
Here is a simple guide that will make a livedvd of your current system, from doing that you should have a pretty good ideal on how to do it.
http://dnmouse.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44

DokterW
23rd June 2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks Dangermouse!
Looks like an awesome start. Will be trying that one out, when I have time.

dfortier
9th July 2010, 12:35 AM
Thank you for the valuable information. I do have one small problem, though. Once the livecd-creator process is complete, how do I close the DVD to it is no longer a blank disk?

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM CDT ----------

Thank you for the valuable information. I do have one small problem, though. Once the livecd-creator process is complete, how do I close the DVD so it is no longer a blank disk?