PDA

View Full Version : Dual video card Intel / Nvidia / kernel 2.6.34 /vga switcheroo

jontis
16th June 2010, 06:21 PM
I'm trying to get the vga switcheroo to work on my Asus ul50vt.

I read that kernel 2.6.34 should have the vga switcheroo necessary included.

Is it enabled by default in the kernel 2.6.34-38.fc14.x86_64 I installed with yum from rawhide or will I still need to compile the kernel with option to enable switcheroo?

All suggestions will be appreciated :)
Jonathan

AdamW
16th June 2010, 10:37 PM
I dunno, but there's no support for dynamic switching in X and won't be for a while, which makes it fairly useless IMHO. If you're going to have to restart X to switch you may as well reboot, in most cases...

KKJensen
21st June 2011, 06:07 PM
Definately a work in progress. I've been having headaches with this in F15 and might roll back to F14 to remove the new gnominess.

Check this page out for instructions...it's the most detailed I've found with links to other places of interest but I haven't been able to test personally yet. The comments at the bottom of the page report that the proprietary driver ati driver supports card switching now but you have to reboot each time. the vga_switcheroo method described seems to work for quite a few people in the comments and is a solution for using the open source drivers.

http://asusm51ta-with-linux.blogspot.com/