PDA

View Full Version : File Menu missing in some programs

daviddoria
15th June 2010, 01:42 PM
I am missing the File menu in many programs (Fedora 13). I found a thread that said this fixed it

yum remove gnome-applet-globalmenu gnome-globalmenu-common sshmenu gnome-applet-sshmenu

but I did that and (I'm using audacity to test) it said that it was missing gnome-globalmenu. So I did

sudo yum --enablerepo=updates-testing install gnome-applet-globalmenu gnome-globalmenu-common sshmenu gnome-applet-sshmenu

but now audacity is again missing the file menus. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

daviddoria
29th June 2010, 03:06 PM
Any thoughts on this? It makes many applications completely unusable!

Dave

SiliconSlick
30th June 2010, 12:36 AM
You can try:

1) verify audacity package and most it dependencies with:

rpm -V audacity-freeworld alsa-lib expat flac glib2 glibc gtk2 jack-audio-connection-kit libgcc libid3tag libmad libogg libsamplerate libsndfile libstdc++ libvorbis soundtouch taglib vamp-plugin-sdk wxBase wxGTK

2) look for other problems with:

sudo package-cleanup --problems

3) if neither of those turns up anything wrong, you can try renaming
your .audacity-data folder in case it went funny with:

mv ~/.audacity-data ~/.audacity-data.save
(just be sure to move it back again if it turns out not to be the problem)

SS

daviddoria
30th June 2010, 03:33 AM
I will try the above things tomorrow, but let me clarify - it is not just Audacity having the problem. It is also present in gimp, empathy, etc.

Dave

SiliconSlick
30th June 2010, 03:52 AM
Given the additional data points (gimp/empathy), my money is on a gtk problem. Hopefully the above will shed more clues tomorrow.

SS

daviddoria
22nd July 2010, 04:35 PM
Sorry for the delayed reply - I've been travelling. I didn't try the Audacity specific fix because, as you pointed out when I gave more complete information, it is obviously not an Audacity specific problem.

I don't understand why no one else is having the same problems? I just tried a

sudo yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing

but nothing changed. Any more thoughts?

Dave

SiliconSlick
22nd July 2010, 06:02 PM
And the output from steps 1 and 2? (since you aren't trying 3)

SS

daviddoria
22nd July 2010, 06:04 PM
Yes, that could help haha:

1)

[doriad@doriadjec ~]$ sudo rpm -V audacity-freeworld alsa-lib expat flac glib2 glibc gtk2 jack-audio-connection-kit libgcc libid3tag libmad libogg libsamplerate libsndfile libstdc++ libvorbis sound
package audacity-freeworld is not installed
prelink: /usr/bin/gtk-query-immodules-2.0-32: at least one of file's dependencies has changed since prelinking
S.?...... /usr/bin/gtk-query-immodules-2.0-32
prelink: /usr/lib/libgailutil.so.18.0.1: at least one of file's dependencies has changed since prelinking
S.?...... /usr/lib/libgailutil.so.18.0.1
prelink: /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0.2000.1: at least one of file's dependencies has changed since prelinking
S.?...... /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0.2000.1
prelink: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2000.1: at least one of file's dependencies has changed since prelinking
S.?...... /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2000.1
package sound is not installed

2)

[doriad@doriadjec ~]$ sudo package-cleanup --problems
Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, presto, refresh-packagekit
No Problems Found

Dave

Dangermouse
22nd July 2010, 06:22 PM
you need to remove just gnome-globalmenu-common & gnome-globalmenu it should not effect audacity, it works fine for me without those packages not installed.

daviddoria
22nd July 2010, 06:25 PM
Ah great - that worked. I had done something similar (or exactly that?) before with no luck - maybe some of the updates in the meantime changed something?

Thanks all for your help!

Dave