PDA

View Full Version : FC13: Nautilus now painful to use

cuban_cigar
15th June 2010, 03:10 AM
Removing the path window was a bit punishing to users.

Sure, you can now push / and get a box, however it is inconvenient in a number of ways::

1) boots you out of where you were down to the root directory

2) no more copying the path for other applications, like opening files in gedit

3) it only works for 1 tab

4) the replacement feature, while extremely unstable, is itself difficult to find / activate

Example:

"I want to go to the web root"

Instead of the 2.5 seconds it would take to type out "/var/www/html, enter"

You have to spend about 40 sec hunting for the right folders, forced to scroll down the page, squinting for the little icon which you now must click. And then another, and another.

Please Put The Old Way Back, Give Us A Path Window

Have a nice day !

leigh123linux
15th June 2010, 12:42 PM
I find your rants pathetic :(

to fix location bar (run as non-root)

gconftool-2 --type boolean --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_location_entry true

droidhacker
16th June 2010, 04:58 PM
Though you can do that, it is very inconvenient. The older version offered a simple button to switch between the two modes -- it was a serious mistake to take that away. I'm not liking the dumbification of gnome, and kde is just too frikking ugly/bloated to be useful.

dmyersturnbull
16th June 2010, 05:37 PM
My "location" bar is at the top. Deselect "Go"→"Search for files".

CronoCloud
16th June 2010, 08:39 PM
Removing the path window was a bit punishing to users.

Sure, you can now push / and get a box, however it is inconvenient in a number of ways::

1) boots you out of where you were down to the root directory

No, it doesn't, at least for me.

2) no more copying the path for other applications, like opening files in gedit

If you're using gedit, you can just drag the file into it. It would be more of an issue if you use a terminal based editor. course, if you used one of those , you'd probably be doing your file management in the terminal.

Instead of the 2.5 seconds it would take to type out "/var/www/html, enter"

You have to spend about 40 sec hunting for the right folders, forced to scroll down the page, squinting for the little icon which you now must click. And then another, and another.

Um no. hit "/" to bring it up, enter the path, hit enter and bingo.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)

GoinEasy9
16th June 2010, 09:15 PM
ctrl -d. Did you all try ctrl-d?

Dies
17th June 2010, 03:52 AM
ctrl -d. Did you all try ctrl-d?
Did you mean ctrl+L?

GoinEasy9
17th June 2010, 04:18 AM
Yes Mr. Dies....I meant ctrl-L, geez.... :D

jonathonp
17th June 2010, 02:09 PM

gconftool-2 --type boolean --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_location_entry true

You made my life easier. Thanks

cheerio158
18th June 2010, 02:53 AM
I do like F3 to get the side-by-side panels!

But removing the address entry toggle button is very annoying.

Heck, I'm still using the FC2 gnome screen shot app because they removed the ability to easily recall and edit the last file name in the save file dialog.

Dies
18th June 2010, 04:04 AM
Yes Mr. Dies....I meant ctrl-L, geez.... :D

Hey, what do I know, maybe you were suggesting that he just bookmark every folder on his system for easy access...

:p

GoinEasy9
18th June 2010, 04:16 AM
Hey, what do I know, maybe you were suggesting that he just bookmark every folder on his system for easy access...

Hmmm...Considering the conversation, it could have been a Freudian slip.

cuban_cigar
18th June 2010, 10:32 PM
they are trying...

But lets just say as a baseline point of reference that your average IT admin could administer 200 FC7 systems by themselves,

they would probably have their hands full with 100-120 FC12 systems and probably get fired.

hat os
5th October 2010, 03:55 AM

Really nice and useful :)

GoinEasy9
5th October 2010, 04:03 AM
If you think the cli, gconftool-2 is useful, try "yum install gconf-editor" and have access to all those configuration settings from the gui. Once installed it will be in the Applications-->SystemTools menu as the "Configuration editor".

hat os
5th October 2010, 04:30 AM
I installed it, I don't know if I dare to use it just yet though, but the above trick was really nice, I was going crazy trying to find out where I currently actually was in the system, and now I see it.
Still learning.

GoinEasy9
5th October 2010, 04:42 AM
Best way with gconf-editor is to open up "apps" in the left column, and, go down through each app and see what configurations are available. Then, one day you'll need to change something, then think, "Wait, I think I saw that someplace", and, after the light bulb appears over your head, you'll remember you saw it in gconf-editor. :D

hellork
31st October 2010, 09:13 AM
You can also drag the Nautilus location bar buttons onto an open terminal and a full quoted path will appear in the terminal. Good if you can go back in time a few seconds using your cell phone and type 'cd', so you can navigate to the folder in question.