PDA

View Full Version : Root partition too large

piga
10th June 2010, 06:03 PM
Hello,

I recently installed Fedora 13 on an 80 gigabyte hard drive, and it split the space in two, giving root and the normal partition both 36 gigabytes. I need at least 60 gig or more for my home partition. What can I do to shrink the root one?

I currently do not have accsess to the install media or a rescue disk.

Thanks in advance,
Hamish Wilson

scott32746
10th June 2010, 07:16 PM
Hello,
If you made it with LVM you can reduce the size,, but be very careful.
I think gparted my also do it, but I have neveer used it.

piga
10th June 2010, 08:54 PM
Well, I now know how to shrink it using the system-config-lvm tool but when I attempt it complains that while the it is not mounted, it is still busy.

weitjong
11th June 2010, 04:24 AM
Be careful there indeed. You should shrink your root filesystem first before shrinking the "logical" partition that contained it. And you cannot do all this while the filesystem is still mounted. Your best bet is to boot into a single-user recovery mode using the install media and proceed from there. If you are not sure what to do and it is a fresh install, I could imagine it is actually more easy just to reinstall again when you can finally get your hand on that installation media :). If you do the latter, make sure you guide Anaconda how much space you want to allocate for your partitions.

stevea
11th June 2010, 11:20 AM
You can grow a mounted extN FS, but you can't shrink it while mounted.
You'll need to boot a live Fedora CD to do it.
Many/most distros don't use LVM so you'll want some live Fedora CD.

Next time I suggest yo install w/o LVM - it's a major nuisance for single-spindle apps and most home users get almost zero value from LVM.