PDA

View Full Version : Question on pointer/hourglass

Hobashira
8th June 2010, 09:19 AM
I usually do fresh installs and no upgrades but this time, I decided that I would try preupgrade to move from F12 to F13 on my Asus M70Vn.

Well, everything worked like a charm. I have no problems and everything works as before, including hibernation, wifi, compiz :)

I have only one complaint (you have to find one, don't you):

My pointer has changed into an ugly back one and the hourglass is a nasty little revolving black circle instead of the usual white pointer and the ellipse-shaped revolving blue dots which are the standard with Fedora.

Trying to change the pointer in System-Preference-Appearances does nothing.

Where should I look for a solution? I have found nothing relevant on the forum.

beavenburt
8th June 2010, 09:29 AM
This worked for me, re-install the bluecurve cursor theme with add/remove and then change the theme with preferences-appearances.
Alternatively, this may work:-

Create directory /usr/share/icons/default
Inside this directory create a file called "index.theme" with this content:
[icon theme]
Inherits=bluecurve
Logout and back in.

Good luck.

Hobashira
8th June 2010, 09:57 AM
Beavenburt, thank you for your suggestions.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the bluecurve cursor theme, changed it with Appearances, logged out and back in, to no avail.

I then checked /usr/share/icons/default. The file "index.theme" was already there, with "Inherits=dmz-aa", which I changed to "Inherits=bluecurve". I logged out and back in.

The hourglass has now changed to a black watch with the same black pointer! For some reason, I do get briefly the blue cursor when gnome appears on boot. Then, it is back to the black cursor.

:confused:

beavenburt
8th June 2010, 11:18 AM
I don't know, maybe try manually deleting the dmz theme folder in /usr/share/icons. I'm short of ideas now.

Hobashira
8th June 2010, 11:37 AM
Not to worry. Thanks for your help anyway.
I will keep experimenting.

petarp
2nd September 2010, 12:24 PM
Beavenburt, thank you for your suggestions.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the bluecurve cursor theme, changed it with Appearances, logged out and back in, to no avail.

I then checked /usr/share/icons/default. The file "index.theme" was already there, with "Inherits=dmz-aa", which I changed to "Inherits=bluecurve". I logged out and back in.

The hourglass has now changed to a black watch with the same black pointer! For some reason, I do get briefly the blue cursor when gnome appears on boot. Then, it is back to the black cursor.

:confused:

same here - the black watch. I had to install the bluecurve theme since it was not present in my fc13 installation. Revolving blue dots only at logon.
Any help?

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM CDT ----------

wow, funny: when I tried

yum remove dmz-cursor-themes.noarch
i got

Transaction Summary
================================================== ================================================== ===============
Remove 296 Package(s)

Installed size: 1.4 G
Is this ok [y/N]:

almost the whole Fedora is in the list of dependencies:D
should I say "YES"? ;) :D

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM CDT ----------

solved the cursor theme problem using this guide: http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=246863&highlight=cursor
Works without Compiz as well.