PDA

View Full Version : Remove Fedora 12 and install Windows Vista Ultimate

sysmicuser
23rd May 2010, 05:19 AM
Guys,

I want to remove fedora 12 and install vista ultimate.

I have resigned to idea that learning linux and sys admin should be part of "within Vm ware".
Nothing against Linux or f12 as such, I love Linux and moreover f12 and I am going to continue to do so with in Vm ware which is a great tool.

I am just struggling to remove f12 and install vista.

The steps which i am taking are as follows:
I went to third option , Rescue installed system.
came to shell prompt
fdisk -l
it shows all partions
fdisk /dev/sda1
d
w
Partitions get deleted and it says no partitions defined. Good
But then if i do again fdisk -l I again see Linux partion /dev/sda1 abd Linux LVM of /dev/sda2?? also If I try to boot system. Grub comes up when there is bootable Vista ultimate installable CD in CD drive!!

some prompt like grub > come and if i press "TAB" some list of commands come.

I am trying to remove f12 and install vista ultimate but there seems to be no success.

Guru's please advise what I should do.

Thank you

BugRocks1
23rd May 2010, 05:34 AM
Use gparted it will format everything for you.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM CDT ----------

Also check the BIOS boot order if it starts with the HDD you will not see the cd booting ever.

marko
23rd May 2010, 05:42 AM
Or while you're booted in rescue mode like you did, and are in the terminal just do:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

This will completely overwrite the MBR and partition table with 0's -- only do this if you really want to retain nothing
of the partition setup (ie you will be repartitioning it totally over again) and the data on the disk as it is now.

REF:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-how-to-uninstall-grub/

CSchwangler
23rd May 2010, 07:57 AM
Many laptops I know allow to temporarily change the boot order by pressing F12 early in the boot process. Check if your laptop supports this, and if it does, select the CD ROM as the boot device. It should then boot from your Windows install disc. The Windows install program should be able to remove any existing partitions (at least XP could do that) and create a Windows boot loader.

sysmicuser
23rd May 2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks Guys, I am happy it worked.Thank you for your input.

Marko your technique worked for me:)

Cheers Guys

DBelton
23rd May 2010, 03:58 PM
glad it worked for you :)

Just wanted to add this for anyone else looking to removed linux and go back to windoze though..

it's no problem removing linux, you can just delete it.

BUT, you must make sure that you have ALL the linux partitions removed because windoze won't do anything with them (at least with vista/XP and previous.. Don't know about windoze 7). So if you want to reinstall windoze and use the space that linux had used, make sure that you delete the linux partitions first.