PDA

View Full Version : the opposite of the Thunderbird fiasco

ozzor
8th May 2010, 06:38 AM
Having heard about this Thunderbird trouble I thought I'd share my own Mozilla story....

In order to get the recent Firefox I have to enable rawhide, install firefox f14, then disable rawhide... I go out of my way to get fresh Mozilla shwag...

On the Thunderbird Fiasco-

Who wants to run old versions of internet apps?
Use Debian Stable! :rolleyes:
And never have to administrate your system. Let the script kids millworm root it for you with your two year old base and userland apps... :p

Seriously, tho, before someone else jumps on the forum and exclaims "I'm leaving Fedora for SuchandSuch Linux" they should:

1) Pick their distro after reading about and trying 10+ of them, 3 desktops each,
2) DO NOT UPDATE BLINDLY (yes, I'm shouting). Be a better admin!

forkbomb
8th May 2010, 07:19 AM
What is "this Thunderbird trouble" you speak of?

Why not use Remi for up-to-date Firefox? I'm running 3.6.3 and didn't need to "enable rawhide, install firefox f14, then disable rawhide". Not only does that make me wonder why one would go through the trouble of risking breaking a perfectly good install to get a slightly newer version that what's in the standard repos (frankly I've never understood why the flip people care that much for a slight version difference, but for me stability is divine), but you're doing something extremely unecessary.

Last time I checked, Debian Stable is still backporting security fixes but I'm by no means a Debian expert. Running Debian Etch isn't like running, say, a frozen FC6 system that no longer can receive updates because most to all of the mirrors are dead.

Ozzir
8th May 2010, 05:44 PM
Thunderbird fiasco: http://jwboyer.livejournal.com/36737.html

I want the newest Firefox to close security holes and improve my privacy. (I just learned of LSO [relevant to my Windows box, no Adobe on my tux box]).

I was joking about Debian. I use Testing.

I want my fedora-repo provided Firefox 3.6.3!
I want 3.7 on zero-day. I hope it'll be in rawhide, I just have to remember to re enable rawhide every once in a while to catch any patches...

I didn't know of Remi. I don't really want extra repos that may or may not be secure. Is there another way besides installing off a .tar or my rawhide fiasco waiting to happen?

bob
8th May 2010, 05:53 PM
No mention of Thunderbird at all. Wrong page?

forkbomb
8th May 2010, 06:17 PM
Thunderbird fiasco: http://jwboyer.livejournal.com/36737.html

I want the newest Firefox to close security holes and improve my privacy. (I just learned of LSO [relevant to my Windows box, no Adobe on my tux box]).
Ooh. LiveJournal. Great source. Why the hell would anybody read anything under that domain except in the interest of amusing oneself?

Ceteris paribus, I doubt the security difference between Firefox 3.6.3 vs. 3.5.9 is any more than a fart in the wind for most people. I'd be happy to be proven wrong once you find a source -- LiveJournal doesn't count -- proving that 3.5.9 has security holes bad enough to make the Fedora packagers look like douchebags for not having at least 3.6 in the repositories.

I want my fedora-repo provided Firefox 3.6.3!
I want 3.7 on zero-day. I hope it'll be in rawhide, I just have to remember to re enable rawhide every once in a while to catch any patches...Ask for a refund, bucko.

Waaaaaa! Waaaaaaaaa! I want a bunch of packages that aren't in the repos to be added, too, but I'm not entitled. I hope you're just joking here, too. Cause you're giving off an obnoxious air of entitlement. (If you're joking you need to work on conveying sarcasm better.)

I don't see the rationale behind the revulsion toward building from source or dropping an occasional application in /opt. I guess people get spoiled and snooty when they use binary distributions too long. If 3.6.3 (or 3.7 when it hits) is so damn important and its lack of inclusion is so grievous, tar it up, man. Or use Remi.

I didn't know of Remi. I don't really want extra repos that may or may not be secure.
That's cool. I can understand that. None of us wants that. All I can really muster is that Remi has been around for awhile and is a well-respected third-party repository that is held in high regard by a number of members here. For other members moaning about the "inexcusable" lack of 3.6.3, other folks have been suggested to use Remi, have done so, and have moved along happily.

Granted, I'm not sure that'll assuage the concerns of somebody who thinks that the security differences between 3.6.3 and 3.5.9 are substantial enough to go through the trouble of enabling the Über-Rawhide repositories... :rolleyes:

I'm inclined to assume good faith on the part of the packagers. Livejournal rant that I can't be bothered to read (and not only because it may or may not be sockpuppetry) aside, from my $.02 chair, if the security difference between the two aforementioned versions was grievous enough, the devs would have pushed out an update ages ago.

Ozzir
8th May 2010, 06:18 PM
Sorry, I am looking for, but I cleaned up RssOwl.

A thunderbird update from 3.1 -> 3.2 (not the real numbers) broke something and people flipped out and complained a lot... Now Fedora is going to become "stable" or something...

Hell, maybe it was Ubuntu, maybe it was KDE. IDK! maybe I should uninstall RssOwl... too much useless info...

forkbomb
8th May 2010, 06:19 PM
Also, did I just get trolled in epic fashion?

Ozzir
8th May 2010, 06:30 PM
People are so damn nice over Debian forums. Even when I make mistakes or say dumb stuff.

http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2010/03/11/stable-release-updates-in-fedora/ <-LiveJ OpEd link from mother****ing Mauriat Miranda

Troll no, I was locked out for 15 mins...it only take 2 min to make a new account.

Next time i have Fedora trouble I'll install Debian Testing or Mandriva Cooker.

peace. close this thread. close my account. waaa waaa. flouce.

ozzor
8th May 2010, 06:39 PM
The few times I've had to rely on this place, after googling my problem, I've been basically yelled at and treat without respect.

Make Fedora worse so less ppl will use it. Then you have less noobs to deal and you can all attack RahulSundaram like you all always do.

Ps. Where's my linux anti virus? <- attack this for the next hour. I'm going to the library.

Flounce (with a n) is what I meant.

bob
8th May 2010, 06:47 PM
peace. close this thread. close my account. waaa waaaAs you wish.

Oh, btw, it's against policy to have more than one account. If you have 'second thoughts' about rejoining the Forum, please contact the Staff and we'll help you set up ONE account.