PDA

View Full Version : How to switch from Gnome to XFCE

lumbercis
26th April 2010, 04:53 AM
Hi all,

I am running F11 on an old HP N5470 laptop. I wanted to switch to the XFCE desktop to conserve system resources on my old machine but I think what I managed to do was install XFCE and Gnome together.

Basically my machine was running Gnome, and I did a 'yum groupinstall XFCE' . It seems to have installed the XFCE packages as I now have the Thunar File Manager, Terminal Emulator, and Bulk Rename applications that I didn't have before. But I didn't do anything to "remove" Gnome. :rolleyes:

What do I need to do to run XFCE exclusively?

Possibly unrelated, but the "add/remove programs" utility doesn't recognize that I have any packages installed, so I can't actually add or remove any programs using it. Adding from the command line works fine.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
J. :)

ozjd
26th April 2010, 05:55 AM
You could try removing Gnome but it will break xfce as they share many packages. To run xfce just log out of gnome and there will be an option on the log in screen to log into xfce.

lumbercis
29th April 2010, 03:01 AM
Ahh, there was an option on the login screen I was just missing it.

When the login screen first appears there is a login box with your accounts in the middle of the screen and a blank toolbar along the bottom of the screen. Once you select your username to login (but before you enter your password and submit) the blank toolbar will populate with a few options, one of which is a small gnome box with a dropdown next to it. XFCE was in the little dropdown.

So we'll chalk it up to me not paying attention or funky UI. In any case, your suggestion got me back on track. Thanks a bunch!

J.

JimmyM
6th July 2010, 02:15 AM
But how will this work to remove the Gnome components or make xfce the default desktop environment?

ozjd
6th July 2010, 04:53 AM
There is no meed to remove Gnome. In fact XFCE shares many components with Gnome. Unless you change the option as detailed in post 3 the system will load the previous DE so once you have selected XFCE it will continue to load XFCE until you select something else.

JimmyM
6th July 2010, 11:37 AM
There is no meed to remove Gnome. In fact XFCE shares many components with Gnome. Unless you change the option as detailed in post 3 the system will load the previous DE so once you have selected XFCE it will continue to load XFCE until you select something else.
Ah. I see.
Thanks.

nasr25
17th July 2013, 10:02 AM
thanks

i found it