PDA

View Full Version : Fix for a GRUB issue in Fedora 13 BETA

cksmuck
23rd April 2010, 02:16 AM
I had an interesting thing happen with a Fedora13 64bit install....GRUB seemed to disappear. However, on my dual boot system (HP Pavilion dv7 1285dx with Windows 7 and Fedora 13) Fedora 13 booted up fine, but GRUB would not initiate beforehand and Windows 7 was nowhere to be found.

I opened a terminal and found that under /boot/grub/device.map I had a new "partition" called fd0 that has never been there before on any other Fedora install....so I deleted it and rebooted. Well, I saw my GRUB splash screen for all of a NANOSECOND before Fedora started booting again. I opened up a terminal again and looked at grub.conf to find that timeout=0...so I changed it to 10 and now have my dual boot GRUB splash screen options available once again

Hope this helps someone....

GoinEasy9
23rd April 2010, 02:27 AM
LOL ... Surprise!!!! Did you comment out hiddenmenu also? This is the first 2 things I do on a new install. Seems the devs trade off speed of boot with functionality. There's a thread about this here somewhere. Many of us have asked for a default 3 second timeout. It makes sense huh? Apparently not. :)

cksmuck
23rd April 2010, 02:35 AM
Yes I did comment out hiddenmenu. But I have never experienced this before Fedora 13. 12 worked just fine and had a 3 second timeout and all my previous Fedora version did as well.....what changed???

stoat
23rd April 2010, 02:35 AM
Hope this helps someone....It will.

Hello cksmuck,

But the device.map step was sort of a red herring. That file is never read during booting. You can even delete the entire file and still boot. When I was experimenting with it one time (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=153679), I could still boot just fine after copying over its contents with the Gettysburg Address. Turns out, the device.map file is only used by the GRUB shell and the script grub-install in certain circumstances when the GRUB boot loader is re-installed.

bob
23rd April 2010, 02:36 AM
(moved F13 Development)