PDA

View Full Version : Minimum RAM for Fedora 13 for GUI?

ajeetraina
19th April 2010, 05:52 AM
I was trying to install fedora 13 on my ESX box. Since it doesnt show me OS Type as Fedora(while I do have RHEL, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE etc)I checked Other Linux 64 bits. and by default it took 384 MB. When I started installing it says insufficient memory and did the text mode installation.
What is the minimum RAm I should select for GUI Installation.

ajeetraina
19th April 2010, 05:54 AM
I was trying to install fedora 13 on my ESX box. Since it doesnt show me OS Type as Fedora(while I do have RHEL, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE etc)I checked Other Linux 64 bits. and by default it took 384 MB. When I started installing it says insufficient memory and did the text mode installation.
What is the minimum RAm I should select for GUI Installation.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM CDT ----------

Sorry I posted it under wrong branch.
Moderator..can you delete this post for me :)
Anyway, One can view it under Installation Branch.

Hlingler
19th April 2010, 05:54 AM
Hello ajeetraina:

One thread per customer per problem, please. All F13 topics belong in F13 Development section.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f13/en-US/html/index.html#sect-Release_Notes-Hardware_Requirements:
1.2.3. Processor and memory requirements for x86_64 architectures
Minimum RAM for graphical: 384 MiB
Recommended RAM for graphical: 512 MiBNote that if you use shared ("stolen") system RAM for video, this reduces available RAM for system (so you need more total to compensate for the amount "stolen" for VRAM).

V

Gul Dukat
20th April 2010, 05:57 AM
Just out of curiousity...
Does the minimum amount of RAM, also apply for the LXDE version?

Hlingler
20th April 2010, 06:01 AM
No. I get by with 256 MB system RAM with LXDE, and it runs fine (not "snappy", just "OK"), full LXDE desktop GUI & all, 3D rendering too.

Machine #3 below (it's now running F12 LXDE i686). 466 MHz Celeron with 256 MB RAM & 512 MB SWAP: http://www.e4me.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=eTower%20Series&model=eTower_466id

V

P.S. I would hope that F13 LXDE does not increase those minimum requirements, but eventually, I expect the minimums to exceed this machine's capabilities.

Gul Dukat
20th April 2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the info.