PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 13s Artwork Need Your Help for F13 Beta!

RahulSundaram
11th March 2010, 07:03 AM
Hi

Fedora Artwork team wants your input

http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/fedora-13s-artwork-need-your-help-for-f13-beta/

Demz
11th March 2010, 07:55 AM
IMO, if the Fedora team are wanting help with the Artwork, why dont they just do what Ubuntu does an stick to the same Wallpaper? everyone changes it once installed anyway same with the theme

RahulSundaram
11th March 2010, 08:10 AM
Hi,

Ubuntu doesn't stick to the same wallpaper either. The majority of users continue to stick with default as studies have shown again and again. If you don't have specific feedback to offer, feel free to skip it and move along. I am sure others will be interested.

Demz
11th March 2010, 09:05 AM
it might as well, both look crap. where are these studies coming from?. its a bit like Microsoft windows, no one sticks to the default wallpaper unless there to lazy to change it or install something decent

RahulSundaram
11th March 2010, 09:21 AM
Hi,

One example is

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/defaults.html

None of this is operating system specific. You are complaining without backing up your assertions. If you truly believe that everybody changes their wallpaper, why waste time complaining? It doesn't make much sense. Let people who are interested provide their feedback.

giulix
11th March 2010, 09:48 AM
Since I cannot say "Ugly as hell", I willl just shut up...:)

RahulSundaram
11th March 2010, 10:55 AM
Hi,

That's like a criticism which says "you are a bad person". You cannot really do much with it. If you can break it down to the details of what you don't like and why you don't like it, feel free to provide your feedback. To be really useful, feedback has to be specific. That's a basic rule.

newiLuvatar
11th March 2010, 12:01 PM
the spiral reminds me somewhat of debian... I don't know if it's not too close...
otherwise I quite like it...
btw... I do usually stick with the default wallpaper...

bob
11th March 2010, 12:13 PM
(Rahul, you're double-posting again. Chrome?)

I'd have to say that the artwork doesn't greatly impress me this time. Specifics? Well, it's simplistic and that's normally okay, except that I don't understand the visual theme involved. I'd have to guess that it's representing the creation of something from nothing... left side representing a void and concentric circles with merging spirals leading to a formation of something? Just a guess. Well, if that's the general idea, then I'd suggest the spirals converging on a partially faded "f-infinity' logo on the right side. Sort of symbolizing the continuing re-creation of each Fedora version from infinite individual ideas.

Or, we could just use a big blue hat (kinda liked the ol' Fedora logo, ya know). :D

Dan
11th March 2010, 01:46 PM
Hmmmm.

The Debian-esque shapes are unfortunate here, but there's already been enough discussion among the art group to indicate they are well aware of that. The reticence to jettison the idea is understandable though, given the options and time frame involved. However, were this the corporate world, and Debian were a competing firm ... you'd soon be hearing from Debian's legal team.

I think I know what Mo was after, and this would seem to be a mature representation of that concept. (From initial idea to final working version.) The free soaring of rocket spirits is an attractive idea. (A bit of a triple helix, too perhaps?) But I think the triplet of rocket trails leads to some inherent confusion. This is anything but normal rocket behavior. Whussup with three rockets doing concentric spiral courses simultaneously? And around a given mutual point? Is this a form of combat? An alien air show? Or three cadets attempting to fly in formation led by a wing commander suffering from an inner ear problem?

Whereas it does seem to fairly well represent the project at times -- three dogs chasing each other's tails -- that's not necessarily something we should advertise, methinks. <..:D..>

Back on a more serious note, one of the announced goals of the art team regarding the wallpaper design is that it should not be so specific in shape and hue that it will compete with the icons and desktop elements for attention. I get that. Most of my screen art designs violate that rule to the extreme. <..:p..> But none the less, it's tough to dig an icon shape out of a distracting background. Therein lies the rub for me. I think the curves here are too strong a visual element. The color contrasts are related and reasonably muted, but the questions which make me squint, and my eyebrow go up all seem to revolve around the presence of triple elements and the strength of the curves involved.

However, all that being said, even though it was tactless in delivery, Greg is mostly right. People can and will change this on their own personal installs to suit themselves. And ... this entire post is all just one man's opinion. The blunt truth is that I have nothing prepared to offer as an alternative, so by the concept of, "Put your money where your mouth is," this is likely more bloviation than anything useful. Thusly, it'll probably get deleted very shortly -- if I hit the post button at all.

Lastly, this is probably all much ado about nothing. If this idea is rejected, and all the other community supplied stuff is found wanting and unworthy, I'm quite sure our lovely and talented Mo will once again step in and pull a difficult all-nighter to save the day with a last minute push truly inspired in its concept and execution.

dragonbite
11th March 2010, 03:09 PM
I posted a response at that site. Is there somewhere else I should make my comments?

I'm not saying they are any good, mind you. ;)

RahulSundaram
11th March 2010, 05:14 PM
Hi,

No, comments in the blog post is just fine. I will throw in a link to this thread but avoid commenting here.

trustnoone
11th March 2010, 06:42 PM
I think the swirls look pretty good, not a big fan of the little white twinkle looking things around. Would like to see a few more though, so I could kind of choose some of the best. Also seems to be missing something but I don't know.
I think the wallpaper is pretty important though, I might of changed it straight after I figured out how to download a hot chick wallpaper from firefox, but its look is one of the reasons why I came to fedora, and some of the things that stood out to me

puntarenas
13th March 2010, 12:40 PM
I really like the new background image. Those white sprinkles symbolizing stars and the huge spiral giving a feeling of travelling fast into some endless space pick up both Goddard and "Rock it!" very well. However I feel the login sound should change to some decent speed metal guitar solo, but maybe that's just me.
:)

What I don't like is the new cursor theme. Most of artwork is about taste an because I really like the slim and elegant looking bluecurve-cursors doesn't mean they are of better quality at all. But in particular the new "busy indicator" looks a bit cheap and unpolished to me. Might be only in connection with some background images, but at least with Goddard's default there is something like aliasing artifacts to see. Looks like frayed edges around the symbol, perhaps when the edges hit some of the white sprinkles at the background. Unfortunately the animation is not visible on screenshots.

narasim_7
31st March 2010, 01:17 PM
Looks good, simple and elegant :)

SlowJet
1st April 2010, 05:54 AM
Yep, looks good.
And that's exactly what ion plasma con-tails would look like after a few years. :)

SJ

BugRocks1
1st April 2010, 06:41 AM
I think it is ok, I would like to see more textures and tonal variation but hey it is beautiful that way.

Anybody remember those old blue prints? they are awesome, steampunk blues would be cool too, maybe a pirate map in a blue washed out would be nice with an X Marking the arrival of fedora, or maybe a solar map marking the arrival of fedora on earth LoL