PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Firefox and new java

theAdmiral
10th March 2010, 03:17 PM
There is a thread in this forum that points to this website

http://www.jonathanpritchard.com/blog/2010/01/mozilla-firefox-3-6-linux-review/

as a place for good directions on getting the new Java and the new Firefox to cooperate with one another. I followed it and was unable to get that to happen. To test it I used the official U.S. clock web site. Don't quite know what to ask, except what did I do wrong? I following the directions to the letter, but in the "about:plugins" part, Java doesn't show up.

Thanks,

bob
10th March 2010, 03:45 PM
I'd check /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins to see if libnpjp2.so is listed there and is not shown in red (broken link). I have libjavaplugin.so as a good plugin, but it's not mentioned in about:plugins.

giulix
10th March 2010, 04:35 PM
Not supported any longer in FF 3.6, Bob. You'll have to link to libnpjp2.so

PabloTwo
10th March 2010, 06:18 PM
The instructions on that blog site has a huge, gaping hole in it. He tells you to "cd" to your downloads directory, supposedly where the jre-6u18-linux-i586 package is located. So lets say that's in

~/Downloads/

Fine. Then he tells you to install the package by runinning ./jre-6u18-linux-i586, press the space bar to page through the eula and type yes to accept. OK, fine.

Then he gives you the command to use to set up the browser plugin symlink. How stupid is this?
You just installed the jre package in ~/Downloads/, yet he is instructing the symlink to look for the actual plugin module in /usr/java/jre1.6.0_18/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so when in fact it is located in ~/Downloads/jre1.6.0_18/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

And the plugin doesn't show up in FF... Well, duh!!!

giulix
10th March 2010, 08:20 PM
Yes, the command to install should be `sudo ./jre-6u18-linux-i586.bin' and not `./jre-6u18-linux-i586'

theAdmiral
11th March 2010, 02:50 AM
I'd check /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins to see if libnpjp2.so is listed there and is not shown in red (broken link). I have libjavaplugin.so as a good plugin, but it's not mentioned in about:plugins.

Check! This check checked out. I have /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so as listed there and is not shown in red.

What can I check next, please, Bob?

Thank you kindly,

bob
11th March 2010, 03:42 AM
Well, I just went through the instructions that you get if you go to "US Clock" and then end up with the 'manual' install option. I was able to install the Java plugin as described and get US Clock to display properly in FF and in SeaMonkey. It does not work in Swiftfox, which I normally use, however it's no big deal to me and I'm not going to work on that glitch for now.

So, a bit of an aside here: I had already installed a java version to /usr/java from here: http://dnmouse.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105 back when I was doing setup for F12. So, I skipped the initial steps and concentrated on doing the symlink.

In my case, " ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_17/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so " produced a valid "libjavaplugin_oji.so" in mozilla and showed in "about:plugins"

Now, your java version from the install may be different from jre1.6.0_17 , so keep that in mind.

theAdmiral
11th March 2010, 04:06 AM
That "puzzle piece" icon did not appear when I tried this earlier. Thanks for the support, My Friend. Got that part working now.