PDA

View Full Version : Webcam Test Day on Thursday 2010-03-11

AdamW
10th March 2010, 06:26 AM
It's Test Day time again! This Thursday, 2010-03-11, is webcam Test Day (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-03-11_webcams). It's really pretty simple: if you have a webcam we want you to boot up a recent Fedora and check if it works. There's detailed instructions on the Wiki page but that's really what it boils down to - fire up your webcam, run Cheese or something like it, and make sure it all works well. If not, let us know about it! As always, the Test Day runs all Thursday in #fedora-test-day on Freenode IRC - see this page (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_IRC) if you're not sure how to use IRC.

As is often the case, this event isn't really that Fedora specific: the work Fedora does on webcam support in the kernel and libv4l of course goes upstream where other distributions use it, so even if you don't use Fedora, come along to the Test Day, do the test with a Fedora nightly live CD (http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/desktop/) so you don't need to install any Fedora stuff, and send in your results; if you report a problem and get it fixed, the fixed will wind up in your distribution too. Isn't open source great?

dd_wizard
10th March 2010, 11:29 PM
Everything worked, but I have one question. The movie was smooth if you consider maybe 5-10 fps smooth. :) But it's being encoded I noticed, which explains a lot. I get a much higher frame rate in Windows Vista.

dd_wizard

AdamW
10th March 2010, 11:48 PM
yeah, 5-10fps is 'reasonably smooth'. sorry for the vagueness, and thanks for testing :)

FSLLL
11th March 2010, 09:55 PM
I have never updated a wiki page so don't want to inadvertently mess up your results.

kernel 2.6.32.9-70.fc12.x86_64
Trust WB-3100P portable Webcam 0c45:60af

All tests work but colour is very poor. When I first managed to get it to work the colour was poor. After a reboot it would only show monochrome. Since later updates colour has returned but at a poorer quality.

Adjustments to brightness contrast gamma etc function to the extent that they visibly change the image but cannot get a colour quality comparable with that obtained using windows XP pro.

AdamW
11th March 2010, 10:45 PM
FSLLL: don't worry about the wiki page: there's a Preview button, and even if you break it, it's very easy to fix, as it stores all previous versions of the page :)

Could you possibly test with the F13 live image from http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/desktop/ and see if it changes the color behaviour? It is possible it's different in kernel 2.6.33. If not, no big problem :)

amazoneveryday
11th March 2010, 10:47 PM
[hackdog@hackdog-desktop ~]$ uname -r
2.6.32.9-70.fc12.i686
[hackdog@hackdog-desktop ~]$ lsusb | grep QuickCam
Bus 002 Device 008: ID 046d:0840 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express
[hackdog@hackdog-desktop ~]$ cheese
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
libv4l2: error turning on stream: Input/output error

Failure.
Yeah, I haven't seen this old thing work on any kernel built after 2005.

AdamW
11th March 2010, 10:53 PM
well, please file a bug with the information mentioned on the wiki page :) thanks!

FSLLL
11th March 2010, 11:15 PM
FSLLL: don't worry about the wiki page: there's a Preview button, and even if you break it, it's very easy to fix, as it stores all previous versions of the page :)

Could you possibly test with the F13 live image from http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/desktop/ and see if it changes the color behaviour? It is possible it's different in kernel 2.6.33. If not, no big problem :)

It's 22:11 here am downloading ISO but it will take 2 hours! rural area and broadband more like 'not quite narrow band'. So it might be tomorrow morning before I can test it. presumably the ISO will boot from a USB using Boot my iso or something similar.

AdamW
11th March 2010, 11:29 PM
yeah, write it to a DVD or a USB stick using livecd-iso-to-disk or livecd-creator .

FSLLL
12th March 2010, 11:23 AM

Tried with the iso. colour control no better. Cheese only displayed a noisy predominately green screen on video and photo. photo's however did shoot brightness contrast and gamma changes did show on the resultant photo. The video however just showed the green noise and no sound was picked up.

AdamW
12th March 2010, 10:00 PM
could you file a bug on the color problems? thanks.

diamond_ramsey
13th March 2010, 10:20 AM
:) AdamW, thank you for your posts. :)

...webcam Test Day (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-03-11_webcams). It's really pretty simple: if you have a webcam we want you to boot up a recent Fedora and check if it works. There's detailed instructions on the Wiki page but that's really what it boils down to - fire up your webcam, run Cheese or something like it, and make sure it all works well....do the test with a Fedora nightly live CD (http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/desktop/)...

A most excellent opportunity to review another upcoming Fedora 13 feature as well as provide direct feedback to developers. Truly a win/win situation indeed. :)

...Isn't open source great?

Absolutely! :)

I am really looking forward to the "Palimpsest & udisks improvements" test. :)

Also, I like how both a Developer and Quality Assurance professional is available during the test days. This provides me a way of trying out the Fedora 13 feature and help me to understand the "workings." The Test Day Wikis have been quite helpful for me to execute the test sets and provide feedback. :)

AdamW
16th March 2010, 03:11 AM
Oh you poor person, you don't think I'm a professional do you?! I dunno how much longer I can trick them into paying me for this crap ;)

"I am really looking forward to the "Palimpsest & udisks improvements" test"

Yeah, I really ought to get around to writing that page =) I'll have it up tomorrow, hopefully.

mdlinuxwolf
17th March 2010, 08:49 AM
I have a Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop with 2 gigs of RAM and an Intel Core Duo CPU. Using Cheese as suggested, the web-cam works. :cool:

Now whether or not to put back the tape over the web camera that I had when running Vista... :rolleyes:

AdamW
17th March 2010, 08:51 PM
I dunno, are you an American high school student? ;)

diamond_ramsey
18th March 2010, 01:23 AM
:) AdamW, thank you for your posts. :)

Oh you poor person, you don't think I'm a professional do you?! I dunno how much longer I can trick them into paying me for this crap ;)...

hahaha...doing the tests are way easy, I think the Wiki layout and updates to procedures are no problem to follow and provide my Pass/Fail information, accordingly. :D

..."I am really looking forward to the "Palimpsest & udisks improvements" test"

Yeah, I really ought to get around to writing that page =) I'll have it up tomorrow, hopefully.

I'll definitely try out the next test day on two of my rawhide 'virtual machines' versions! :cool:

Also AdamW, thank you for attending the Fedora Ambassadors meeting. I was in the middle of a complete system upgrade so no access / "time" for pidgin'...Missed it by 30 minutes, then again there was this "Spring" forward timeframe...It will take me six months to get use to...:p

I strongly believe that the Fedora Community "inode0 & others, me too" see great merit in trying out the Fedora 13 features. After I try the Test Days and I try to help put useful content into feature / talking points based upon the "experience," too as well as integrate the test concepts into my own systems. A sort of "Kill two birds with one stone" approach. :)

mdlinuxwolf
18th March 2010, 05:40 AM
I dunno, are you an American high school student? ;)

No, I'm older then that. Still, my girlfriend does accuse me of being immature at times. :rolleyes:

Basically I'm just sick of M$'s "@#$%@#$^$%^" I have no formal Linux training, just some Comptia and an MCP certification. I can now say that Fedora 12 works with 100% of all hardware on my laptop. I don't know if F-11 was able to use the web-cam or not. Fedora 8 could not use it.

----------

In fact, it gets worse. I also dual boot with Vista Business. I have a USB to parallel port adapter to hook up to my printer, an ancient HP-T65 all in one 4 way printer. Fedora 12 sees it without a problem. Vista CAN'T access it !! There is no driver for it with Windows !! The supplied one doesn't work. :D

The only thing is that when CUPS updates, the printer is not enabled which means that I have to enable it after updates as root. (Minor annoyance) :confused:

AdamW
18th March 2010, 08:58 PM
mdlinuxwolf: it was just a joke about that high school where the school staff had remote control over the webcams in the kids' Macbooks and were turning them on when the kids were out of school...scary stuff.

Andrew3950
19th March 2010, 01:48 PM
Hi, using cheese, this cam is NOT detected.

Machine details:-
[root@thinkcentre1 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora release 12 (Constantine)

[root@thinkcentre1 ~]# uname -a
Linux thinkcentre1.unix.brm.pri 2.6.31.12-174.2.22.fc12.i686.PAE #1 SMP Fri Feb 19 19:10:04 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Webcam:-
Sony PCGA-VC2 Vaio Camera
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://vcl.vaio.sony.co.jp/support/acc/pcga-vc2.html&ei=wnGjS8rXH5_-0gTStcjtCQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CBkQ7gEwBQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsony%2Bpcga-vc2%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DtTH%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official

USB info:-
[root@thinkcentre1 ~]# lsusb -vs 3:2

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 054c:003f Sony Corp.
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x054c Sony Corp.
idProduct 0x003f
bcdDevice 1.00
iManufacturer 0
iProduct 0
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 193
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0x80
(Bus Powered)
MaxPower 300mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 1
Transfer Type Isochronous
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0000 1x 0 bytes
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x82 EP 2 IN
bmAttributes 1
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0000 1x 0 bytes
bInterval 1
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 1
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bmAttributes 1
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0008 1x 8 bytes
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bmAttributes 1
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0100 1x 256 bytes
bInterval 1
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 2
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bmAttributes 1
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bmAttributes 1
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0180 1x 384 bytes
bInterval 1
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 3
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bmAttributes 1
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bmAttributes 1
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 1
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 4
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bmAttributes 1
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bmAttributes 1
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0280 1x 640 bytes
bInterval 1
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 5
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bmAttributes 1
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bmAttributes 1
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0300 1x 768 bytes
bInterval 1

-Truncated due to upload size limit -

Device Status: 0x0001
Self Powered

Regards,
Andrew

dragonbite
19th March 2010, 02:29 PM
No, I'm older then that. Still, my girlfriend does accuse me of being immature at times. :rolleyes:

You have to grow older, but you can refuse to grow up!

Is this Webcam test day the only day for receiving input? I am just thinking if I give my webcam a shot if it would be any use at this point?

Also, is there a schedule of these focus-tests like, say, on the Fedora wiki? If not, which forum is best for testing/debugging/feedback which this would kinda be?

AdamW
19th March 2010, 09:23 PM
dragonbite: feedback is always good - you can always do the testing for a 'test day' and file bugs on problems you find. The 'day' is just to try and promote the event and get developers / QA on IRC so some rapid fixing can be done, but testing outside of the 'day' is still great. Yes, there's a Test Day schedule: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Fedora_13_test_days . Also see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days , the top level 'page about Test Days'. thanks!

andrew3950: could you please file a bug, according to the instructions on the Test Day page? Thanks.