PDA

View Full Version : What in Linux lingo is an element?

dwightpaige79
8th March 2010, 04:54 AM
In order to train and educate myself I've come across a term which I don't know the accurate definition of in terms of linux language. "element". Specifically "sound mixer element"? What in Linux language is a "sound mixer element"? Maybe to some this may be a dumb or rudimentary question but not all linux users are IT pros or geeks that sit in front of a box all day. Some of us have to leave our computer and home and go to work in unrelated fields. And some of us don't even get to sit in front of a computer all day!!! GASP! HORROR!

Believe it or not I've Googled and Wikipediaed this and ain't found what I'm looking for yet.

Certainly for me and perhaps for some others it may be good to define in linux file system lingo or linux terminology in general what an element is? Certainly for me I need to find out what a "sound mixer element" very specifically is.

Relates to this thread:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=237705

stevea
8th March 2010, 05:38 AM
FWIW - never heard of it. Sounds like Balonium.

Dies
8th March 2010, 06:16 AM
It's not really "Linux" lingo, more like "multimedia" lingo. ;)

But in any case, when you hear "sound mixer element" just think input or output control and you'll be fine.

If you really want a thorough explanation, your best bet is to ask nicely on the ALSA or LAD mailing lists.

dwightpaige79
8th March 2010, 01:05 PM
It's not really "Linux" lingo, more like "multimedia" lingo. ;)

But in any case, when you hear "sound mixer element" just think input or output control and you'll be fine.

If you really want a thorough explanation, your best bet is to ask nicely on the ALSA or LAD mailing lists.

Thanks for reply. Will check it out some more this evening.